Oil filter gasket

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Guyman

Oil filter gasket

Post by Guyman »

Rebuilding my 1960 318 poly and was wondering if there is a gasket that is suppose to go under the large oil filter plate that mountes to the block or if it needs some kind of sealer before tightening the plate down with the oil filter nut?

Second...need a tightening sequence for the head bolts....assuming start from the middle and work out?..or....??? And think they are suppose to tighten to 65-75 lbs. but just looking for confirmation.

Lastly...adjusting the rockers...need a lesson on how to do it right so they are adjusted correctly.

Thanks, guy
Matthew Keij

Re: Oil filter gasket

Post by Matthew Keij »

Guy,

There is a gasket that fits in the block for the oil filter.

I don't have my shop manual with me here so I can't confirm a tightening sequence but I bet there is one.
For the rockers, someone else needs to jump in on this thread
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

I am talking about the big disk that mounts to the block ...(so between the block and the back of the big metal disk).......is there a gasket that goes behind that big disk before tightening the retaining nut that the oil filter screws on to. I bought a rebuild master gasket set and don't see a gasket in there.

Thanks
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Guy, There is a gasket! I will look and see if I have a spare. Rick
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

if it's just a round one I can make one....is it cork?...or kind of a more dense material?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Guyman wrote:Second...need a tightening sequence for the head bolts....assuming start from the middle and work out?..or....??? And think they are suppose to tighten to 65-75 lbs. but just looking for confirmation.

Lastly...adjusting the rockers...need a lesson on how to do it right so they are adjusted correctly.
Guy, you'll find this information in the service manual: http://www.59plymouth.net/59gallery/index.php?cat=40

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Guyman - I had the 318 engine in my convertible rebuilt and thought I would change from the canister oil filter to the spin on type with the K2 change over kit. I did it correctly with the proper gaskets but it leaked. I had another K2 kit so I changed to that one and it leaked worse so I changed back to the canister and have no leaks at all. It's going to stay that way.
The sequence for the Head Bolts is to start at the top middle, the the bottom middle, top right, bottom right, top left, bottom left, right, left, right, left working your way to each end. Torque to 85 ft. lbs.
The book say to set the valves with the engine hot, Intake .008 and Exhaust .018. The mechanic that rebuilt my engine (doing it for 40 years) set the valves cold, Intake .010 and Exhaust at .020. That allows for expansion when the engine gets hot. My engine runs whisper quiet.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

The gasket is like waxed cardboard, cork might do just fine. It would remind you of a carburetor to aircleaner gasket. If you have a problem PM me and I will send you one.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Guyman - You really should consider getting this manual. I have never seen one priced this low and it's the last one he has.
Dick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-1958-1959- ... 1c&vxp=mtr
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.