Corrrect Maser Cylinder

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Guyman

Corrrect Maser Cylinder

Post by Guyman »

HI., I had manual brakes on my '59 Sport Fury., just finished installing the correct factory Power Brake assembly with all the bells and whistles...and was wondering if a manual master cylinder is different then a power brake master cylinder?..or do they both use the same master cylinder no matter power or manual brakes?
Mark Merritt

Re: Corrrect Maser Cylinder

Post by Mark Merritt »

Guyman;I believe the only difference is the rod that goes from master cylinder to the pedal,I think it is A different length. Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

They do have different part numbers.

There was something with the rod but I can't remember exactly what
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

I do have the rods for both systems...so will take a look., I think the power brake one is larger/longer and it's adjustable. If that is the case., I can use my master cyclinder I already bought and then use the rod that I have for the power unit.

Thanks
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

The master cylinder for power brakes is different than the one for manuel brakes. The rod for power brakes is the adjustable one.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

but is the master cylinder itself the same?...I have the correct rod for the power brakes
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Guyman - The parts book has a part #1829400 master cylinder WITHOUT power brakes and part #1843414 master cylinder WITH power brakes. Externally the difference is the rubber boot that the ADJUSTABLE pushrod goes thru. Internally I THINK it has to do with the porting size and spacing and stroke of the cylinder. Notice I said I THINK.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

OK., quite confused about these master cylinders.....I went to Rockauto .com to order a new one...and some/most list as manual brakes and some don't list anything, manual or power brakes....does anyone know for sure the dorman part number for a 59 plymouth with power brakes/318?

I think it is Dorman part # M36063

But wanna make sure before I order it.

Thanks., Guy
Guyman

Post by Guyman »

Installed the master cylinder I had bought originally and it worked...I measured the bore and installed it and took a while to get the brakes bled, but they work...I think I need to adjust the pedal rod some because they go almost to the floor (power brakes). My brakes are completely rebuilt., new everything...including wheel cylinders, lines etc...so any advise would be much appreciated.

I took it out for the first time today around the neighborhood and it needs some more work., but it's on the road!...how exciting!.

Guy