Cherry 59 Belvedere Convertible

Steve Belvedere

Re: Cherry 59 Belvedere Convertible

Post by Steve Belvedere »

Car resides in Texas now, but was purchased in Kansas.
Best I can tell the car was white originally. The previous owner acquired the car in 1984.
I bought it from his son, who could not recall the car being any color but red, suggesting the original owner painted it before he parted with it.
I would love to know the original color of the top, but at this point I do not know if that can be determined.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

If the car's VIN number starts with M255 the code for the top should be on the data plate.
The engine bay is white so I'm pretty sure the original color was iceberg white (paint code X) so the top was white or black.

Hope there is a data plate!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Steve Belvedere

Code is M253, 108344. Chart in the manual indicates it was a V-8 Belvedere made in Evansville, but that is all I get from it.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Cars build in Evansville never received a data plate :cry:

You can order the build sheets from the Chrysler historical department.
Then you will know exactly how your car came from the factory.

I can make a list of options and such things but who knows what was added over the years.
Your car was the 8344th Belvedere build in Evansville. I guess early 59 but this will be confirmed with the build sheets
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Quick list for you Steve!

Belvedere convertible $2814.25

Accessory group 311, full size wheel covers / stone shields / clock / glove box lock $39.20
Accessory group 312, back up lights / windshield washers / variable speed wipers $27.85

Air conditioning $445.60
Solex tinted glass $42.60
Golden commando $86.50
Remote mirror, matching passenger mirror $26.25
Power brakes $42.60
Power steering $76.60
Power windows $102.30
Dual rear antenna $12.45
Dash pad $13.50
Deluxe steering wheel $13.85
Torqueflite $226.90
Most likely had 8.00X14 white walls $55.95

Does it have swivel seats, aluminum inserts, sure grip, power seat, undercoating with fiberglass pad under the hood?

So far the car was $4026.40 brand new!

The washer jar should be a jiffy jet bag, air cleaner is the wrong color and full of holes. I guess it was raced back in the day.

Options missing:
Mirror matic rear view mirror
Autronic eye
Sport deck
Steve Belvedere

Matthew - great information. Many thanks!
The does not have swivel seats, but the bench seat is power.
It has the fiberglass pad under the roof. It looks terrible and I was going to replace it.
I found the link for Chrysler build sheets and I am going to order one.
We were curious on the washer jar. It did not look original. The air cleaner cover has not been repainted
and seems to have weathered about the same as the rest of the engine. I assume it was original. From the
verbal history I was able to gather, the car was owned by a middle aged couple and was not likely raced.
It was used in Shriner parades to haul floats. It had a tow hitch added to it which I have removed.

Air filter cover does bring up an interesting question. I have not been able to find a correct size replacement
on the web. All the filters I find are 10" outer diameter, and this one is 12.75". Maybe it was not original?

Thanks,
Steve
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Steve Belvedere wrote: It has the fiberglass pad under the roof. It looks terrible and I was going to replace it.

Air filter cover does bring up an interesting question. I have not been able to find a correct size replacement
on the web. All the filters I find are 10" outer diameter, and this one is 12.75". Maybe it was not original?

Thanks,
Steve
I think it was a Monday morning car Steve, the fiberglass pad was placed to far back. It should be under the hood and not under the roof :lol:

The air filter sure looks like the original one, but it is really hard to find a decent cover for these air cleaners. You might find one if you contact John Fowly (Big M), he knows all about these cars and is a great guy to deal with bigmauto at colusanet.com (replace at with @ and no spaces)

Ron

PS I know I am not supposed to correct Matthew but he forgot a missing option on your car, it does not have bumper wings (or rubber inserts) :shock:
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

I have been known to use the MoPar 198, Fram filter CA305 for the Air filter element. May not be the original but it works fine.
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

You should be able to find WIX air filter #42070 which is an exact replacement for the AFP-10 original filter.

Glad you found and are enjoying this nice car! What part of Texas is the car in? Houston area by any chance?

Welcome to this group, too. Been a little while since I read any posts, sorry for the late reply.

Bernie B.