Power widow set up for a Conv. Wanted

Looking for something? Post it here!
Mark Evans

Power widow set up for a Conv. Wanted

Post by Mark Evans »

I have decided to install Power Windows in my SF Convertible
Does any body have any Bits and Pcs. or a lead where to find a Parts Car.
For Ref. The following will fit
57 -59 Chsy and Desoto 2 Dr HT and Conv
57-59 Dodge and Ply Conv
57-59 HT front only
Mark
Dick Koch

Re: Power widow set up for a Conv. Wanted

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Mark - Check with Neil Freman at www.fremansauto.com.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Thanks Dick
i will try him
Mark
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

A quick word of caution, Mark. The senior Dodge and the senior Desoto quarter windows won't fit the Plymouth. (By senior I mean the longer-wheelbase cars, so Fireflite= no, Firesweep and Firedome =yes, New Yorker and Saratoga=No, Windsor= yes).
When I decided to put p/w in my car, I read and re-read my 59 Mopar Parts Book so as to get my shopping list in order. Please verify my information before proceeding with your search.
I finally ended up buying a 59 Windsor from California, had it hauled up to Seattle, where I pillaged it for the windows, mechanisms, switches and wiring harness. From that Windsor I also got a complete swivel seat assembly (with 6-way power seat, not offered in 59 Ply :wink: ) and a nice tinted and shaded windshield.
But then I was faced with the four different kinds of window motors available and used that year, to say NOTHING of the master control switch and the difficulty in rebuilding same. Unless you find a car you can strip, be prepared to pay a minimum of $1,000 for what you need, probably a lot more. Would you agree w/ my estimate, Tom Fox?
Yes, Freman's is a possibility, but it's still winter in Montana....You may do a bit better with Jeff Carter (jcauto.com) in Seattle, who happens to be good friends w/ Neil Freman. Jeff has several sources for cars and parts.
And since you are now prepared to spend big bucks, go ahead and try Desert Valley Auto Parts in AZ. :D
Being on the East Coast, maybe you can find a parts car in Georgia or similar. Hemmings Motor News is online...don't disregard the multi-make section. Is there a way a person can put a Wanted ad on eBay?
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Roger
Thanks for the advise
I spoke with Neil F and he did not have anything
I will keep looking with your advise in mind
Mark
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I like to help!
Since Windsor was the low- level Chrysler, I was truly fortunate to locate a Windsor w/ both power windows AND power seat options. It was a rusty car, but I still felt bad stripping it.
57-59 Desotos are simply RARE. Desoto cvts even MORE RARE.
I think your best bet is finding a 57-59 Chrysler Windsor.
For awhile we had an active military man on this List...Forwardlook Frank.
He had a source for parts... a man named Benny Buckner, located I think in W. Va.Try Googling that name.
Over on Forwardlook (where you should also post your "wants" if you have not already done so), there was a guy from upstate NY pulling FL cars out of overgrown wrecking yards.
Currently on Forwardlook, there's a guy posting his car finds from his state of Arkansas.
Last edited by rogerh on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Some other ideas:
Moore's Auto Salvage, SD
Wildcat Auto Wrecking, Sandy , OR
Probably obvious, but wanted to note Imperial parts will NOT fit anything other than Imperials.
Last edited by rogerh on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Roger
Thanks for all your input
Looks like I am looking for the unatainabl;e
Tried Freeman and JC ,Jeff is looking and Benny ,no luck. I am in Fla. now and have plans to stop by Benny B place on the way home and do some picking.
I did post on the Forward look and got a maybe on a switch

Mark.
I
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

There's a guy in Arizona named Bo Malefors who collects, rebuilds and sells Mopar fincars. He bought a lot of my stash when I was selling out. It is POSSIBLE that a lot of money will convince him to sell a set-up, IF he has it.
His Facebook page is Arizona-Classics.com.
You can also post an ad in the WPC Club magazine and Plymouth Owners club..but first you gotta join! (I'm no longer a member, else I'd help ya).
Keep the faith..the stuff is still out there...you never know when someone just decides to sell.
In driving around up here in Mount Vernon, WA, I have spied a 59 Chrysler 2ht WAY out in a field. It obviously hasn't moved in many many years. I wonder if it has p/w? It appears to be a Saratoga, but I'd need binoculars to be sure...or I could try to find the owner...
Some of the folks on ForwardLook say they know how to set their eBay and Craigslist settings to search the entire country for the items they want. If I could figure out how to do the same, I could do a nice side business as parts finder!
Another person to call is Nick Nichols, in San Francisco. He has an unknown number of FL cars, and while he doesn't sell parts, he may have heard of someone who has what you want.
You're in Florida, huh? Why bother heading back to Connecticut...I hear there's a foot of new snow there!
Back where I used to live in Lake Tapps, WA, about 5 yrs ago, there was a 59 Chry sitting on a side road. I remember it had swivel seats, but can't recall about p/w. I left two notes on the car stating my interest, but of course in the passage of years
my ph # has changed.
Last edited by rogerh on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomf

Post by tomf »

I think Roger is close on his estimate of $1000 on a complete system, which might still need some motor rebuilding and switch repair. In 1993 I paid $600 for a parts car from Boise, ID just for the power windows. About a 900 mile round trip to get it home.

If you find a set, be prepared to cut some metal and drill new holes. If my memory is correct, it seems I had to remove metal in the rear to make room for the springs. And a few other modifications, but nothing you can't do. It isn't just unbolt the old and bolt in the new.

Good luck
Tom Fox
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Thanks, Tom. As I recall, my 59 Windsor cost me 1200 plus delivery. I was able to then re-sell the car minus its front seat, windshield and p/w.
Tom reminds me that perhaps senior Mopar quarter window tracks (but not the glass obviously) MIGHT be modified to fit Plymouths.
Maybe Dan Morton? made modifications to a track, and posted about it. Or was that a motor driveshaft he glued together...I do recall he dealt with a window motor.
Try searching this site for window tracks, or similar. Someone did write about moving a pivot or something.....Bernie, YOU are sharp...what am I trying to recall?
Finally, in a message to Dan...you need to get your beloved interested in this group...we miss you!
Last edited by rogerh on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Thanks for the Info
I was concerned about the install rework.Sounds like its not to involved . If I find a %9 SF setup ,is it the same amount of work or a bolt in ? What about the Door and rear side panels . Do the Power Switches go in the same places as the hand crank hole?
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Mark, for the most direct bolt-in, you will have to find a 57, 58, or 59 convertible P, or junior D, Des, or Chr 2HT as discussed above. (See revisions/corrections below)
If you haven't installed your door panels yet, you should see the square or rectangular stamped spot on the doors' metal inner panels...that's where the switches would mount. My memory tells me the location is not the same as for the manual cranks.

Then there are holes to drill thru door edges and door jambs to run the wiring looms.
I think maybe that senior quarter window tracks other than the perfect-fit Windsor, Firesweep, Phoenix etc. can be home-modified to fit a convertible, but I am far from sure.
If you have a 1957-9 Mopar Parts Book, there are schematics of the tracks, as well as a thorough, if confusing, list of which parts fit which cars. I had to get out a sheet of paper and draw a flow chart of sorts in order to understand what would bolt right in. Again, I never had to do any modifications to tracks...the 59 Windsor 2HT was a direct bolt-in, track-and-motor wise.
I feel I am confusing people with all this... I may even be contradicting myself. I will try to remember to collect my Parts Book from storage this weekend. Maybe the list of suitable donor cars is still there.
Last edited by rogerh on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
big m

Post by big m »

Just for info-
I generally sell every power window set up within the week of the car coming in. In fact, I recently picked up three power window equipped '59 Chryslers, and the next day one of the Swedish restorers bought all three complete systems.
I'm sure that my place isn't the only one where this is happening, so the best bet is to find a car [or system] for sale in Hemming's or Craigslist.

---John
In rust we trust!
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

John,
Do you have any Swivel Power seat set ups?
Mark