A Sport Fury Comes to Iceland

Gardabaer, Iceland
Faulkner

A Sport Fury Comes to Iceland

Post by Faulkner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:33 pm

1.jpg
8.jpg

Karl purchased his Sport Fury from Judge Gene Fierro in Florida. Karl writes, "My hometown is Gardabaer, just a 10 minute drive from the capital of Reykjavík, on the southwest coast of Iceland.

There haven't been any classics show this year [2005], but this autumn there will be a show and I have been asked to bring both my cars, the Fury and the '62 Galaxie, so I'm looking forward to getting them ready and shiny for the show.

Every Thursday me and many others meet and take a cruise in Reykjavik. There are lots of tourists, especially from Europe and Japan admiring the cars, taking pictures and asking all kinds of questions about them. These people do not see cars like this on the streets in their home country.

This has been a great summer for the Fury and me, my sons and I are cruising together, but as the winter closes in, we will put the cars into the garages and wait until next summer."

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

"I have been asking around about '59 Furys in Iceland and this is what I found out: There have been around five '59 Furys in Iceland, I know about two of them, license plate numbers J-150 and Y-59. J-150 was blue with a white top (I don't know about the interior), J-150 was imported from the States in 1960 and was in the same family till 1968. I have not been able to find out whether it is kept somewhere today or just gone to the junkyards, this Fury was a 318 ci/ 230 bhb/ 2 door hardtop.

License plate Y-59 was imported from USA as a classic car 15 years ago (I'm not sure), had 60,000 miles on it when it came, in 1st class condition, 2 door hardtop, 318 ci 230 bhb, original Fury colour as a '58 Fury. Later this car was used in an Icelandic movie 'Devil's Island'. It was repainted all red for this movie (it was a shame). This Fury has the 'toilet seat' as an option, at the moment it is in a garage in my hometown Gardabaer. I just met the owner few days ago and he is painting it red and white as my Sport Fury is.

My Sport Fury is the only one ever in Iceland -- license plate number G-296."

6.jpg
7.jpg
10.jpg

Clips from Devil's Island can be found in the Video section of Ephemera - Dan
"If it's new, Image Plymouth's got it!"

Faulkner

Out and About

Post by Faulkner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:37 pm

18.jpg

Karl writes, "[Some of these] pix are from recent auto show, where the Fury got the first prize as the most beautiful classic car in the show..."

11.jpg
12.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg

Faulkner

Bilar & Sport Magazine

Post by Faulkner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Karl's Fury recently made the cover of this Icelandic magazine. He writes, "I'm sending you this car magazine where there is an article about the Fury. It's of course in Icelandic, so I don't think you can read it; but it tells about the facts of the Fury, previous owner "The Judge", and other things."

You're right, Karl -- I can't read it. But I can look at the pretty pictures!

Bilar.pdf

Faulkner

The Previous Owner

Post by Faulkner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:24 pm

Judge Gene Fierro was the previous owner of Karl Karlsson's Sport Fury. Here is a history of the car while Gene had ownership. -Dan

21.jpg

Judge Gene Fierro is a sitting Trial Judge in Miami, Forida. Here's what he has to say about his car: "The Judge's 59 Plymouth Sport Fury was built at the Michigan Plant on July 24, 1959, a month after he graduated Miami Beach Senior High. Historically considered Chrysler's First Muscle Car, the Judge's was delivered to Gate City Motors in Greensboro, NC on 8/1/59. The original purchase was $3,128 and came with a factory V-8 361 CI 395 GOLDEN COMMANDO, 4bbl carb, Factory High Performance Cam Shaft generating 305 HP."

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

"The factory AC was fairly rare as were the 'bumper wings.' It's painted the factory DuPont red, has swivel seats with factory anodized thread seats and of course has 'the toilet seat.' It weighs 3,670 lbs and is 17 3/4 feet long. The Judge has themed it 'Christine' and reminds everyone that the original Christine was a 58 Belvedere with Fury trim. It recently won the 'Gold' at the MOPAR NATIONALS held in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Great car to cruise South Beach, FL but I'll let you be the 'judge of that'..."

7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG

"A little history for you - the 59 Plymouth Fury was introduced here in Miami at two locations: JORDAN MARSH DEPT. Store on their boat dock on Biscayne Bay (Moon over Miami theme) the store is now defunct. It was a high-end dept. store in the 50's through the 70's but fell to the competition. The other was at HIALEAH RACETRACK (out of business two years ago after being the country's most elegant track since the 40's- it lost it's attractive race dates to it's competitor Gulfstream Park and to politics).The sign in front of my car has the original newspaper adv. from the racetrack as a background showing a red 59 conv at the starting gate with the horses. I have the original adv. and was able to duplicate it for my sign.

The 1958 issue of HOTROD magazine tested a 1959 318 and 395 Golden Commando at the air force base in Miami (closed in the 70's). It raved about the 'muscle' - Chrysler was only too happy to use that term (Hence 'Chrysler's First Muscle Car')."

Gene and his '59 Sport Fury just won at the Ocean Reef Show in Key Largo (25 miles south of Miami). Here are some pictures from the show, as well as some other recent pix.

13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg