Martha!

Your banter here!
Faulkner

Re: Martha!

Post by Faulkner »

william0431 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:33 pm Who are you using as a carrier? Have you tried U-ship? A friend of mine used them with great success. You post your shipment then the truckers make bids on it and you can pick from them. The site gives you a lot of reviews on the various truckers bidding so you can pick who you think is the best with the best reviews or pick based off the price they quote you.
It's been listed on Central Dispatch for three weeks now - same idea, brokers post it, truckers bid on it. But I've come to learn that price alone doesn't determine who will pick it up; they need to have a winch, and they need to be empty when they get to San Fran (so they don't have to unload/load an inoperable vehicle). So my options have been limited.

John's friend deals with the broker I'm currently dealing with, I'm hoping for the best. It didn't occur to me to pay John to haul it for safekeeping, but that's a thought to explore if it doesn't pan out.

Martha come home! :roll: :cry:
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Ahh central dispatch sounds like its same same then. How impatient are the sellers to get her out of their way? If they are needing the space maybe asking John might be the way to go. Just for safe keeping for the time being.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I am throwing in the towel - the issue with moving an inoperable car on/off a trailer is what is impeding Martha's shipment. I'm shipping the brake parts to the seller, he's arranging for a local shop to repair the brakes. Then, any trailer - with or without a winch - will be able to move it. And it won't matter if the trailer is full, or has a single spot - they'll be able to drive it on or off the trailer under its own power.

Repair the brakes here, or repair them there - machts nichts to me, apart from the shipping charges. I'm in this for the long haul.
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Dan, so glad to hear the seller is understanding of the situation and willing to help get the brakes fixed. Hopefully once she's 100% the shipping issue will get resolved. Nothing is worse than trying to get a car shipped. It makes you fell kinda helpless when your not there in person to deal with issues.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Why didn't I think of this before?!? Send the brake parts from East Coast to West Coast, and that will entice a trucker to pick up the car without brakes! :twisted:

Someone has signed up to pick Martha up on Sunday!! I sent the brake parts in two boxes - and of course, in the wisdom of the USPS, they sent them along different paths. The first box is out for delivery, should arrive at the seller's tonight. The second box? Well, they say it will be delivered tomorrow, but...

I don't care that I paid shipping charges for nothing, if the parts come back in the Suburban. But to shell out again, to ship one of the boxes back?!? Well, I'll do it. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

Martha will get dropped off right at Drexel Automotive, where they did Faulkner's brakes and exhaust. I'm told 4-5 days - I hope it's 5, I'm off to NYC on Thursday to pick up Mary Kay at JFK airport (visiting her daughter), but I'm supposed to meet the driver to pay him in cash. These are exciting times!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Quit whining, be grateful you have cash! Merry Christmas to you, Mary Kay and Martha.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

...and a very Merry Christmas to you, Yvonne and Bertha Irene!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Martha did not get picked up yesterday... But she got picked up today!!

IMG_8489.JPG

The USPS, however, did not come through for me. Before I had a hauler, and when I expected I would have to have Martha's brakes repaired in California (to drive it on the trailer), I sent two boxes of brake parts - same Post Office, same time, same agent - to the seller, last Wednesday. One arrived Friday afternoon. The other *finally* arrived today at the seller's Post Office. I called Customer Affairs, and asked if they could expedite delivery - they could not. Grrrrr! Not wanting the car to leave without the parts, I asked to halt delivery, and have the parts returned to me. They complied. And now, the parts sit in the Post Office...

Will they get back to me, before Martha arrives at Drexel Automotive? Anybody's guess. At least, they'll have the emergency brake, and can install that to move the car in and out. And I have a new set of tubing for them to install. But they won't have the master cylinder, or half the linings, or... Springs? Cylinders? I forget what was in each box. I did ask that they expedite shipment - they owe me that, but we will see what happens.

It doesn't matter now. After four weeks of struggle and anxious worry, Martha is finally on her way to me. A Christmas Miracle! I'll take it.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Congratulations Dan, now you have a new Elephant to start munching on.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Good news, bad news!

Martha will arrive tomorrow! I took a call from the driver, he expects to drop the car off between 2-4 p tomorrow. Gawd, I'll be bringing Mary Kay home from JFK - I don't expect I'll get home before 1 p, and I have to meet the driver to pay him. This is cutting it close! But, I will be taking lots of pix of Martha tomorrow. It will be cold, but sunny. The car won't get dropped off right at Drexel Automotive; it will get dropped off at a shopping center nearby, where I'll meet up with the driver. Then a short flatbed tow to Drexel Automotive, where they'll back the flatbed in and drop the car for the lift.

That's the good news. The bad news: The driver's side rear wheel is locked, according to the driver. Well, that's not entirely bad news, given that I knew it needed a brake job. But the other thing the driver told me: It doesn't start. And, the seller told me it runs.

A belated call to the seller: Oh yeah, it ran out of gas. And then the battery had run down. But fershur, it runs.

Well: We will see. I expected it would need a (6 volt!) battery, so I picked one up. And gas is easily come by. But I won't really have a good handle on how deep I am into this for a week or so. Stay tuned to my misadventures!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Oh, and a footnote: Martha's carrying the emergency brake lining and box #1 of two boxes of brake parts. I've got a new brake line kit. What's missing - and, according to the USPS website, still sitting in the Redwood City Post Office - is box #2 of brake parts. So Hauser can get started, but can't finish the brakes until they come home. I suspect the wheel and master cylinders are in box #2, but I can't be sure. At least, if the emergency brake gets fixed, and we can get the damn thing running again, he can move it in and out of the shop.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

What a long day it's been! Martha arrived by trailer today. And yes, I am in love...

Martha needs some serious work. But, my plan is to preserve her, not restore her - do some modest body work, rustproof, maybe detail the engine compartment a bit, slap a Maaco on her. And drive her! She will be the car I take to go grocery shopping, or run to the hardware store. And return the waves to those who point and wave.

All the rubber grommets around the windows are in excellent condition, but the tailgate seals need replacing, as well as door whiskers. There's a "sag" issue with the driver's door, and some rust issues in the passenger rocker and the tailgate. But nothing that can't be addressed over time. And the heavy duty vinyl upholstery is in awesome condition! Now to get the brakes fixed, and to get her running again (probably, I need to drop the tank, flush and coat). Another elephant to nibble on.
IMG_8556.JPG
IMG_8584.JPG
IMG_8600.JPG
IMG_8593.JPG
IMG_8601.JPG
tailgate.JPG
The tailgate looks worse than it actually is. There's no rust-through - some power brushing, ospho, and rustproofing will set her straight
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Envy, envy, envy. Old age sucks!
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

From the CA "Ownership Certificate" (title), I tracked down the previous owner to the seller. I found an email for him - here's our exchange:
Dan Morton wrote:Greetings Mike,

I am Dan Morton, from Philadelphia PA. Today I took delivery on a 1954 Plymouth Suburban that used to be yours – Jerry Sterio bought it from you in November, decided not to keep it and posted it on Craigslist. I have been looking for a ’54 Suburban for quite some time, and jumped at the chance to own it. For a long month now, I’ve been waiting for a carrier with a winch to take the bid move it to Philly, and just Saturday found one. It’s now safely ensconced in my local shop, awaiting a brake job with the brake parts I have accumulated for it. I have affectionately named her “Martha”, after Paul McCartney’s sheepdog. Dunno why.

I have a 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury, and run a website for ’59 Plymouths (www.59plymouth.net), but “Faulkner” (after the author of “The Sound and the Fury”) will keep the garage spot. My plans for Martha are to make her my daily driver – preserve, rather than restore her, and use her about town for picking up groceries, hardware and the like. And to wave back at those who point and wave. To that end, I’ll be doing some modest body work, cleaning up the engine compartment, Maaco paint job, etc.

I already have developed deep affection for Martha. I would love to know more about her – particularly, how you came to own her, for how long, how long she may have lay dormant, etc. I Googled your contact information from the Ownership Certificate you passed on to Jerry, and hope that this email reaches you. I would very much like to call you and chat about the car, if you have no objection. Please let me know.

Happy Holidays to you, and to yours, from the East Coast.

Dan
Mike Williams wrote:Dan,

Glad my old Plymy found a good home. I bought it in 1979 in Santa Cruz. I just painted it and rechromed the front bumper. It was my driving car around town for a few years (5 yrs.) for surfing in Santa Cruz and "cruisin". Had kids and used it primarily to haul things, and dump runs, and for the kids to play in. Had brake problems with the master cylinder and wheel cylinders leaking and couldn't find parts to repair. It was dormant since 1997. Covered it and was awaiting either of my kids interest in getting it going again. Neither had interest, and I needed to move for a coming house rental. Glad to hear it has found a proper home. Wouldn't have thought it would end up on the East Coast. Word of caution - the overdrive (which is like a 4th gear) work well when you pull the lever out, but it "free wheels" if you are going downhill which almost caused a problem coming back to Santa Cruz in the mountains. It picks up speed very quickly and dangerously.

My family had the same exact model (less the overdrive) that I grew up in and riding around with the tailgate down/dogs hanging over the edge. Not allowed anymore in California. Great memories. That's why I bought it in the first place. Have fun with it. The smiling face front end is a classic, and slider side windows.

Regards,

Mike Williams
I also went to Google Maps with his address - and there's Martha!

MikeWilliams.jpg
big m

Post by big m »

Glad you finally got Martha home, Dan!!

Been a long battle with finding a carrier!!

Happy New Year also!!!
In rust we trust!