question about inspection and vehicle registration in Pennsylvania

Your banter here!
Faulkner

question about inspection and vehicle registration in Pennsylvania

Post by Faulkner »

I'd like to pick up a Suburban as my daily driver. Something smaller than the late fifties - early sixties behemoths; a '49 - '54, perhaps. Flathead six, three on the tree. It doesn't have to be pristine, because it will sit in my driveway - just mechanically sound. (I know about Chris Neapolitan's Suburban for sale on eBay right now, but who knows what's wrong with it; and it's a little too big to park in my driveway.)

Classic car insurance stipulates that I must have a daily driver in addition to my classic, so I'm not tempted to drive my classic on a daily basis. But I wonder if PA would permit my Suburban to be so considered - if I were to get it inspected? I'd be willing to make any lighting changes necessary (e.g., sidelights). I know it would get a pass on emission controls...

Does anyone know about the regulations in Pennsylvania?
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Mark Merritt

Re: question about inspection and vehicle registration in Pennsylvania

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; I think to drive daily would require the classic car plate instead of antique. I know the classic plate also needs to be inspected annually. I'm sure the insurance would be higher as well. I see that suburban on e-bay is in Philly. I have some friends that drive the old ones to work or shopping and they have classic car plate. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks Mark! Do you know, can you drive a car with a classic plate at night? Not that I do much driving at night... Or, driving at all, for that matter! There's a trolley a block and a half from my house, I can get just about anywhere with that. So the Suburban would just be for fun.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; I called A few of my buddy's and I get different answers. It seems to be A mileage restriction and safety inspection, also their cars are newer. A 68 Chevelle,69 Mustang,68 Camaro. Long story short I guess I don't know. Ask 3 people and get 3 different answers. It maybe they drive them and nobody say's anything. Mine is registered antique. What is PA. take on rat rods? They are home made. Just my thoughts. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks Mark. I had read somewhere that there might be a 5K limit to get an emission waiver (I easily drive less than 5K miles a year now) - I'm less sure, though, about what would qualify an inspected vehicle to drive at night. I'm guessing side lights, but I wouldn't object to doing something discretely.

When I get Faulkner to the shop, I'll ask John Hauser - he will know, for sure.

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

John Hauser told me that all I needed to do to drive a classic as a daily driver was to get it inspected - the emissions inspection would be waived. Get it registered as a regular car, get it insured, get it inspected, drive it. I like it!

Of course, liability insurance is one thing; collision is another. As I understand it, under a standard insurance policy, the replacement value of a vehicle is its blue book value - which is next to nothing for a 65 year old vehicle. So if a gawking teenager slams his Dad's Prius into my Suburban, am I SOL? Is there a way around this? Who insures their classic car as a daily driver with a standard policy, and how do you deal with these issues?
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Dan, I have a lot of friends who drive classic cars as their daily ride. They all have standard CA plates like any regular car. In CA anything 75 or older is exempt from emissions standards, not sure on the rules in PA though. As for insurance I have done a couple different companies over the years. For my 70 duster I drove daily for a few years I had Hagerty and if I remember correctly I gave a preset number of miles I would drive that year and had the car professionally appraised for the its value, they then based the coverage/bill off that, I have also used USAA on it but it was just liability, the car was worth less than 4k so a complete loss was not a life ending financial risk.

If you do classic plates and collector car insurance I'm almost positive you will have a mileage cap, or some time driving restrictions (ie. less than 200mi a month or only legal to drive on Sat/Sunday ect) and most classic insurance companies will need the car professionally appraised.

Guess you might just have to shop around for the best insurance coverage package to fit your needs, but as mentioned previously ask 3 people get 3 different answers. :?: