A question about '59 rooflines

Your banter here!
Faulkner

A question about '59 rooflines

Post by Faulkner »

Here's a question put to me by a model collector.
Graeme wrote:Here's an odd question for you. I have a 1:43 model of a '59 Plymouth Savoy taxi (issued as part of a "James Bond" collection) and I want to convert it into a Sport Fury. The Fury is apparently a couple of inches lower, and certainly the coupe roofline looks distinctly lower than the sedan in photos, but I'm not sure exactly where the height reduction comes from. Did the Fury actually have a lower roof and a unique, shallower windshield, or was the roof pressing less "domed", with the rest of the structure identical?

I've been browsing the net for specifications, forums, posts by Fury owners, etc. but that hasn't led me to the information I need. Maybe you could point me in the right direction. I could register with you and post the question on the forum but your forum categories don't seem to cover this kind of question, Grateful for any advice or suggestions from any of your knowledgeable members.

Graeme Ogg
London, England
Hello Graeme! Your '59 Savoy is in "From Russia With Love", included in this post. I have many such '59 clips in Windows proprietary "wmv" format on my old website, waiting to convert to mp4, the web standard. But I've converted this one here for your enjoyment!

Because the Savoy is a four-door, the roofline does not slope as it does in the Sport Fury or other two-door hardtops. Four doors came in two flavors - sedan (like the Savoy) and hardtop (e.g., the standard Fury). The chief difference in body styling between the two is the lack of a "B" pillar, or separation between doors at the mid-section of the car on the Fury, and example of which you can find here. But even the four-door hardtop's roof does not slope like two-door hardtop.

I hope you enjoy the movie clip. And I'll ask others here to comment on your inquiry. Good luck!

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Re: A question about '59 rooflines

Post by Faulkner »

Some additional detail from Graeme:
Graeme wrote:Dan

Thanks for posting. I did try to register on the site 2-3 hours ago but no confirmation e-mail has appeared yet. Maybe it takes a while. (Obviously I don’t need to be registered to read the comments, only if I have a further question).

I know the hardtop has a more sloping roof with no B pillars, but I’m not clear why the whole roof and the side windows manage to look so much shallower if the windshield frame and front of the roof are just as tall as on the sedan. Maybe it’s an optical illusion!

By the way, I have attempted conversions of other Chrysler Corp models in the past and posted some of them on the Allpar website (link below).

Allpar - toys

Graeme Ogg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Re: A question about '59 rooflines

Post by Matthew Keij »

The sedan roof is going forward a bit while the roof from a 2dr hardtop goes back from the pillars.

They are 2 totally different roofs
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”