Photobucket

Your banter here!
Faulkner

Photobucket

Post by Faulkner »

Some folks upload images directly to the website. Others upload elsewhere - e.g., "Photobucket" - and link them in using the "IMG" button. I don't like the latter, because if the content ever goes away on the external site, you can get broken links. But, I'm not going to take the feature away, because some folks like chocolate, and some folks like vanilla. And, I've worked out a way to make images stored on external sites present as local images in the gallery style I've been working on.

Tonight, in browsing some previous posts for externally linked images, I came across this in John Fowlie's topic:

photobucket.JPG

In starting the post, John began by uploading images to 59plymouth.net, but then switched to PhotoBucket. I had heard that they were going to start charging people for uploads, and it looks like John's pics are being held hostage - unless he pays up. Too bad for us - those pictures are now lost to us.

I notice that Ron's "Repaint!" post contains a lot of Photobucket images - but either he's a paying subscriber, or they haven't gotten around to holding his pix hostage.

So, word to the wise: Space here is free. Upload as much as you want! But if you upload elsewhere, and link it in, the '59 Forum will lose the content if the external site goes away. Just sayin'.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Re: Photobucket

Post by Faulkner »

I've started the painful process of reconstructing John Fowlie's awesome thread about the convertible project. First I downloaded all of the photos directly from Photobucket, that can't be accessed anymore from the Forum. Then, I started uploading them here, captioning some of John's interspersed comments as I went. I think it's coming out pretty well, although I have a ways to go. Tell me what you think:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=986&start=75#p9463

I've also started tweaking the Keij's post, to present more of a gallery style. Their Photobucket images can still be linked into the Forum, so I just edited the links to use "image" instead of "img", which is what you use when you link an external image. After I've redone all external images on the site, I'll remove "img" and folks can use "image" instead. Here's a redone post:

http://www.59plymouth.net/59forum/viewt ... &start=180

I can't make any of the brief comments captions, because the images are linked, not attached. But I think it improves the overall look. What do you think?
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"