A couple of questions ...

Your banter here!
eroomas2

A couple of questions ...

Post by eroomas2 »

I think this is the right forum for this ... got a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know how to find/track ownership of these old cars? We're curious who the original owner of our fury is.

2. Does anyone know how to find a picture of the plant (Evansville, IN) where the car was built? We thought it'd be fun. Google is failing me, or I'm not as techno-savvy as I thought I was :wink:

Thanks a million everyone :D
WDJ40

Re: A couple of questions ...

Post by WDJ40 »

Me too. That is always a curiosity, but sometimes impossible to solve.

While I have been interested in cars for 40 years (mostly Pontiacs), I am new here and still learning about 1959 Plymouths.

I would guess that if you have the VIN number and a copy of the Chrysler IBM card from the Chrysler. Chrysler Historical center is still providing this service of the copy of the IBM card or what most people call the Build Sheet. Someone on this site has a data base of VIN numbers and owners, it might be Matthew, but I am not sure how complete that data base is, but I know someone has these records.

I also would like to know who the full name and address of the original owner, and subsequent owners of my car. Some 1959 Sport Fury's had an optional engraved name plate on the dash. My car has this plate. My car is also listed with photos on this site at the 59 Showcase link on the 59SportFury.net under a previous owner's name who owned the car in 2006.

Good luck.
'Get your motor runnin' Head out on the highway'
Looking for adventure' In whatever comes our way'

Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Double entry...don't know how I did that ..
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Chrysler Historical can provide the original dealer number and name in the state that the car was delivered in, but not the original buyers name. Slim chance that that delivering dealership still exists today, and if they do, they probably threw out most of those records decades ago.

Your only chance is if your state's DMV keeps old records of Titles and Registrations but most have purged that info too years ago. My car came from Montana and I tried, I called them up in Montana at the main Montan DMV office and they said they purged the list years ago if they did not have a current registration on-going for that car.

Since you have a SF with a Front Glove Box Plaque with a name and with the IBM card that says what state and dealer the car was deliver to. You might have shot of finding old family members or the original owner.

Matthew's list is mostly current owners of 59's but does not have the original owner info you need. There are a few 59 Plymouth Forum members who still own their original cars but that is a rarity.

I will try to see if I can dig up a picture of the Evansville plant if I have one. I have one of Plymouth Main (Lynch Road Assembly) in Detroit.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
WDJ40

Post by WDJ40 »

John,

Thanks for info and the advice.

How often does Mattthew update his list and how does he get the updates? Certainly many 1959 Plymouths have changed owners in any given year, including mine.

I assume that this list is not public and therefore is something that this site does just for Plymouth geneology for VIN numbers, build sheets and owners?

eroomas2

Post by eroomas2 »

Hi John,

I tried to find the Chrysler Historical Society ... it was a kind of a fail. Do you happen to have that info? Also, mine isn't a Sport Fury ... I doubt we have the optional glove box plate. Any other ideas?

Thanks for trying to dig up a picture of the Evansville, IN plant ... appreciate it :D
WDJ40

Post by WDJ40 »

Andy,

The Chrysler Historical Society will have the IBM card build sheets and information about your car.

Here is the link: http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/company ... cords.aspx

Good luck.

eroomas2

Post by eroomas2 »

Ok cool! Thanks a million :D
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

WDJ40 wrote:John,

Thanks for info and the advice.

How often does Mattthew update his list and how does he get the updates? Certainly many 1959 Plymouths have changed owners in any given year, including mine.

I assume that this list is not public and therefore is something that this site does just for Plymouth geneology for VIN numbers, build sheets and owners?
I update my list whenever I find a new one.
Mostly I am doing Sport Furys but under the pressure of John Q :lol: I started on the other models.

Finding new ones and getting in contact with the owners is hard but sometimes I get lucky.
I forgot how many I have in my list at the moment, also have another one to put in.
My list is VIN number (sorted by build plant), owners, colors, engine and some additional information if I have more about a car
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
WDJ40

Post by WDJ40 »

Hello Matthew,

Thanks for the reply. I joined this site July 19 and I own a 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury.
I will find the time to write a paragraph about the car and introduced myself on the Introduce Yourself topic thread. As usual, I was too busy to take the time.

I can get you the info for your list ..... VIN number, build plant, owners that I know, colors, engine and other information.
Maybe you already have it for this car.

The car used to be owned by Frank Lamp from Fort Myers, FL.

If you go to http://www.59sportfury.net/showcase/Spo ... ndex2.html and look at the box on the right of Dick Koch, West Palm Beach, FL, there is a white 1959 owned by Frank Lamp.
Frank Lamp owned two cars - a white and a black Sport Fury. Click the box. The black 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury was sold to a collector in Michigan and I bought the black car this summer.

If you don't already have the data information for my car, let me know how to get it you.

Thanks, Larry

eroomas2

Post by eroomas2 »

Hiya Everyone!

I wasn't sure if I should start a new topic or if I reply people will see ... so I decided to try this way first.

1. Does this forum have a IBM decoder guru? I can order the IBM card from Chrysler, either just the card, or for a fee, they will decode it. Just trying to figure on which to order :D

2. They also have an aerial photo of the plant 1954, again for a fee. Did someone say they might already have one? If not, I'll order it, scan it, and post it for our "plant photo collector" ... then we'll have one :D

Thanks!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Eroomas2/Matt The Fury's came with a sticker in the glove box with original owners name and placename of dealership that sold it,the Sport Furys had the plaque,mine is still in it,original owners are Dudley and Violet Pollard of Las Vegas Nevada,the dealership was Desert Motors Inc. of Las Vegas.Matt do you have anything those names.I researched the dealers address and there now sits A Home Depot on that site. The sticker will always remain in the glove box lid as long as I am around!!!!!!!!!! Mark M
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0088.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

eroomas2 wrote: 1. Does this forum have a IBM decoder guru? I can order the IBM card from Chrysler, either just the card, or for a fee, they will decode it. Just trying to figure on which to order :D
Get the IBM card! I can do a better job on it than the Chrysler people :mrgreen:

55 survivor wrote:Eroomas2/Matt The Fury's came with a sticker in the glove box with original owners name and placename of dealership that sold it,the Sport Furys had the plaque,mine is still in it,original owners are Dudley and Violet Pollard of Las Vegas Nevada,the dealership was Desert Motors Inc. of Las Vegas.Matt do you have anything those names.I researched the dealers address and there now sits A Home Depot on that site. The sticker will always remain in the glove box lid as long as I am around!!!!!!!!!! Mark M
I have seen those stickers and they are great.
Haven't heard about that dealership before. I am pretty much doing Sport Fury's in my database but I can decode all 59 Plymouths.
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
eroomas2

Post by eroomas2 »

Matthew Keij wrote:
Get the IBM card! I can do a better job on it than the Chrysler people :mrgreen:
Thanks Matthew :D Really appreciate that! I'll order the IBM card and then post or private message you the information for you to decode :mrgreen:
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

eroomas2 wrote:Does anyone know how to find a picture of the plant (Evansville, IN) where the car was built? We thought it'd be fun. Google is failing me, or I'm not as techno-savvy as I thought I was :wink:
Well, this is video from the Maywood, CA plant, not Evansville - but it's fun. Check it out if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.59plymouth.net/ephemera/vide ... ywood.html

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"