New here, introduction and story about my 1959 Sport Fury

Your banter here!
JSSuper

New here, introduction and story about my 1959 Sport Fury

Post by JSSuper »

Ok I should say hi since I'm the newest member here. I'm very exited to have come across this site of other 1959 owners. I've owned a Iceberg white 1959 SF for about 5-years now. Its a survivor car with very little body work done. The chrome, interior, engine trans, driveline are all in-tact save for a engine rebuild at right close to 80K and a transmission replacement late 1960 - early 1961 (somewhere in there):shock: I'm going to be posting in the tech forum in a couple of days about some issues I have right now with how the car is running, parts I'd like to get, and I'll be posting some pictures of the car, but first the story.

In July of 1959 my dad needed a new car to drive since his last car was ran over by a large milk truck :cry:. He had a handful of cars, but only 1 was the daily driver and that was the late 1953 Ford Delux Vic. The other two cars were drag machines he built, 32 Highboy roadster, and I think a 40's Chevy coupe. Anyhow he needed another car, but had lost his license temporarily for racing. He contacted the manager, whome he knew from working at the local garage, of the Plymouth/Dodge dealer in Ogden. He told him to have the best looking car sent to his house with the best deal he could do. Within the hour the manager showed with a new 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury. It was Iceberg white, with bronze interior, V800 318 tqflt, dual rear antennas, radio, and heater options. The deal was $2,880 OTD. It was such a neat car that it convinced his good friend to get a Plymouth.

Shortly there after the car was used for everything from to and from work at the garag, towing the roadster to the track, and racing at the track/street when the roadster wasn't running right or broke! This led to the competition between friends in stock-automatic class. There are some good stories to go with this but that will come later.....

This hard treatment lead to the transmission failure in late 1960 and to the rather early engine rebuild at not quite 80K some years later. Fast forward to the early 1980's... The car had survived but had some "issues" the heads needed to be redone and with rust in the very lower sections of the body and underneath. The car was sent to a shop for the body "work". filler was used instead of new metal so by the late 90's it was a little shabby again with cracks etc, but the car was never in shows as my dad didn't think that anyone really wanted to see the "old bucket of bolts":o We tried to get him to put it in shows as it was all original and still looked really nice. He wanted no part of it at the time.

It wasn't until fall '99 I obtained a Cameo white 455 Superduty Trans Am and convinced him that the Fury really was something the crowds would like to see. That winter it went under the scope and the engine bay was detailed and painted, new tires, new brakes, the undercarrage was fixed better, new metal went into the body, the trunk linings were replaced, new dashmat, detailed the hubcaps, painted the wheels, chrome was polished, new material to replace the aged rear deck, all them little details that help, oh and a fresh coat of white. It still needs to have the front bumper straitened and a couple of peices under the hood need replacing, but over-all its one of the best "non-restored" cars around. During this time my father became increasingly "sick" of the car. As he put it, he was tired of looking at it. His intention was to sell it now that it was completed. I told him that he would be upset to loose that car after all these years and told him he should let it go to a family member.... :D Unfortunately I didn't have the money at the time, I had just picked-up and freshened that 455 T/A. So for a very small down-payment, a 32oz Diet Pepsi, he agreed to keep the car until I could finish paying for it. a few years several thousand $ and lots of sodas:lol:, we are about finished, still have a little to go, but won't take long now. So there we are... thats how I came to own a 1959 Sport Fury complete with tons of centimental value and good memories. I remember lots of times, riding around in it, thinking that push-button drive was so neat, and listening to the roar of that big V8. I really liked the swivel seat thing too...

Wow long story, sorry for that, I'll get some photos set-up in the next couple of days. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.
Cody C.
The prowd owner of a 1959 Iceberg White Sport Fury 318 TqFlt.

Post by Guest »

Cool! Another new member. Always great. I'd love to see some pics of your car. Our car was in 1959 Iceberg white but it was repainted in the 90's in red/white. If you have some good clear pics of your car i really want to see them. Learn more about us? Oke, here's my little story. I'm Matthew and at this moment i'm 17 year old. I don't have a car or driver license. Here you can go for your driver license when you're 18 so i can't wait till i'm 18. My parents got the 59 SF and my brother has a 58 Oldsmobile 88. My dream cars are: 58 Chevy Impala 2 door hardtop in red. 59 P Belvedere convertible. 59 P SF conv but that would be a dream forever. You may see me at really weird times here but that's because i'm almost at the other side of the world. I'm in the Netherlands. That's next to the UK, Belgium and Germany
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Oke, that reaction was from me. What a suprise! No, really i forgot to log in!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

JS! Welcome Aboard! Unless I missed it, I don't think you gave us your name...

That's a wonderful story about your car. We all look forward to seeing pix. I would love to put both your story and your pix in the showcase, if that's OK with you.

Unfortunately, this flavor of PHPBB does not permit you to upload images -- only to link them in. However, I'm thinking of setting up "anonymous ftp" (file transfer protocol) or "virtual ftp" that will permit members to upload images to sportfury.net, and then link them in from there. That's how I've been linking in images (Matthew too, from other web sites). I'll post details about how to do it once I've settled on a solution. As long as members don't abuse it and blow out my quota, we'll be fine!

Again, glad to have you join... And thanks for the movie tips. Yes, Matthew, I've got my work cut out for me!

Dan
JSSuper

Post by JSSuper »

You know I did leave a couple of important details out. The name is Cody, I'll be 25 next month, I'm married with a new son (1 month old as of yesterday) and the SF is a 2dr Hardtop...

As for the color, we did not have the correct paint code, no-one out here knows what it is so we got as close as we could. I think it is supposed to have a little more cream in it, but it looks good and were not complaining.

Its good to be here, I fully intended to get more photos of it taken today with my digicam, but I did not have the time, but its because my son has a real bad cold, and my wife is sick with it too. I'm fighting it but I'm not nearly as sick as the two of them.... Thus I did not have time to get everything done I had intended.

I will be taking photos of the '79 T/A to send to a gentleman who is interested in purchasing it.... I will get the pics of the SF at the same time. I want to get some good ones of the exterior and interior as well as the engine bay.

Dan I read the story on Faulkner wich is part of what prompted me to join your site... That is a terrific story, congrats on ownership. Oh the pic thing sounds like a good idea, unfortunately I don't have access to a pic hosting site at this moment but that is easily remedied. When I get the photos I'll get membership to a site at the same time... It sounds great to place the photos and story in the showcase.
Cody C.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks for the update Cody. If I can hide out from the missus for a few hours this weekend, I'll do all the stuff I'm supposed to do on the site -- including, opening up a drop for members to put there images. Stay tuned! And thanks again for joining.

Beat the bushes, tell your friends and acquaintances about "The All New for 1959" Plymouth!

Dan
JSSuper

Only photo right now

Post by JSSuper »

Here is the only photo I have of my car right now. I will be taking more just as soon as I shake this cold and the weather clears so I can get it out. I should also mention I have a new set of the original style WIDE white wall tires for the car, but it drives much better on these radials.
http://www.photostep.com/images/1/138093280.jpg
The site doesn't support remote linking :!: so we get to copy and paste... :evil: oh well.
More photos to come,
Cody Cook
Cody C.
JSSuper

Post by JSSuper »

If you copy and paste the link into an open browser it should work.
let me know if it doesn't and I'll see what I can do.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

If i copy it and paste it, it still doesn't work :(
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Sorry about the problem, folks. It's the site the pic is on -- it doesn't support linking.

I snagged the pic and put it on our site. Soon, anyone who wants an account will have the ability. I'll lay out the rules shortly. Here's the pic:

It's beautiful, Cody. What can I say?! I haven't seen a '59 yet that didn't knock the socks off the competition.

Keep those cards and letters coming! I'll put out the word about ftp soon...

Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Wow! Looking really good!!!!!! White looks nice on it. Better than i thought. The car looks more special in white. I like it. Is it in the showcase already??

We already have 21 (with this one) in the showcase and there are coming 2 extra! The black one from e-bay and that green one i tipped you about on that forum on forwardlook

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys. :D

It still needs a couple of things, but I'll post that later when I get feeling better and I get more pics for the showcase.
JSSuper

Post by JSSuper »

Anonymous wrote:Thanks guys. :D

It still needs a couple of things, but I'll post that later when I get feeling better and I get more pics for the showcase.
Guess I should log in before I post :lol:
Cody C.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

So, what are the "couple things" you still need??? Maybe we all can help you a little bit or completly
JSSuper

Post by JSSuper »

Matthew Keij wrote:So, what are the "couple things" you still need??? Maybe we all can help you a little bit or completly
See tech section: I posted the items in there.
Cody C.