Inner Fender color

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

Inner Fender color

Post by Faulkner »

Recently I was contacted by Steve Ovick from the Plymouth Owners Club - he had a broken front antenna mast, and asked about its removal. Since Faulkner will have dual rear antenna masts installed, I offered my front antenna to Steve, and it now replaces his. Steve also asked me this question:
Steve Ovick wrote:The inner fenders on my car are painted grey inside the engine bay; it looks very original, but I'm not sure if correct.
I recall hearing that on the assembly line, painters would frequently mix unused paint together - often resulting in grey - and spray the trunk interior with it. I'm not sure if this is apocryphal or not, but if they did so, did they ever apply to the engine compartment?

Here's a picture of Steve's beautiful Savoy (and Steve), from the 2002 Grand Rapids Plymouth Owners Club Meet.
steveo.png
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
big m

Re: Inner Fender color

Post by big m »

True, the floors and trunk inside areas were sprayed with this, the color ranges from a light grey, to greenish or bluish grey.
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks John - but, do you think it was ever used on the inner fenders? Steve's are grey, and it has an original look to him.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
big m

Post by big m »

Never have I seen it on the inner fender aprons. All the western built cars is was a semi gloss black. Some eastern built cars have the core support and inner fenders body color.

---John
In rust we trust!