Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Faulkner

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew Keij wrote:As for the top trim, I think I pulled the front up and the rear (towards the roof) clicks off.
Hmm...
Dick Koch wrote:The center top piece of the windshield moulding is removed by taking the screws out on each end then prying up on the rear side of the moulding.
When I look at the clips from either end of the moulding, I can see the rear curved tip of the clip nestled in the rear trim curve, and the flat end of the clip in the front trim curve. It seems to me that it should come off the way it goes back on, and that would be to engage the front part of the clip first, and then pop the rear end down over the curved part. So I'm going to try Dick's approach first, with a little WD-40. Wish me luck...
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

OK - I noticed that the upper moulding has a little play in it, front to back. I took one end, and moved it as far as I could towards the rear of the car, in an attempt to reduce the pressure of the rounded end of the clip on the moulding. I then ran my fingers under the rear of the trim and... *pop*! I got a similar result with the other two clips. (Dick - there is a little "wave" in the trim that was there before I started - I swear! Should be easy for you to take out, I'm guessing.)

IMG_0124.JPG

The clips themselves are in perfect condition, although caked in Idaho dirt. They are now safely ensconced in a separate marked baggie, with all the bazillion clips and screws I've removed, bagged and marked.

But it's now 100F in the garage, so I am quitting for the day - maybe tomorrow I'll prepare a tube, Dick.

Now that the easy part's done :lol: , how do I get the d*mn rocker moldings off?! :roll:
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Yea Dan, way to go. The rocker moulding clips are similar. The clip on one end is flat (up) the other end is not (down). Remove the screws on each end then pry up on the bottom of the moulding. Look closely the clips could be installed the other way.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I was really concerned that removing the rocker moldings would be a difficult proposition. It turned out to be a piece of cake.

There weren't any clips! :o :o :oops: :cry:

That's right, just three screws holding each on. So, looks like I'll be trying Goers or Bernbaum for 12 clips (unless someone has a better source).

They're a little beat up, Dick, but let's see what you can do with them. Unfortunately, someone drilled two small holes along the upper lip of the passenger side one - nothing to be done there, but they're pretty small. I'm not going to worry about it.

The rockers are really solid, to my amazement. But what's surprising is that the holes for the two front clips on the driver's side are missing! On closer inspection, I can see that there was some body work done here, and a piece of metal spliced in. Not sure what happened here - if it had rusted out, I would have expected more signs of rust elsewhere, but they are rock solid. So, I'll be measuring and drilling holes like John Fowlie did.

Looks like I'm going to have to drill out the gravel shield trim screws on the passenger side - they are rusted tight.
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG
Yes, that's a bottle of Belgian beer. The only thing the Belgians do better than the Dutch!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - The clips for the rocker moulding are available from Gary Goers. You may want to consider what I did on the Convertible. Eastwood has a product in a spray can with a long tube, the tube has a nozzle on the end that sprays paint out several small holes on the sides. You insert the tube into the drain holes of the rocker, move the tube back and forth and wala, you have rust protection. Two cans will do it giving you two coats. Sounds like the rockers have a rust issue considering some metal was replaced. Harbour Freight has a small AIR impact tool for screws, that tool has saved my butt many times. It's Central Pneumatic Reversible Air Screwdriver Item #90059. I think they are Under 20 Bucks.
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Fifteen bucks! What a deal. It's hard to beat Harbor Freight - thanks for the tip, Dick.

impact.JPG

It's hard for me to believe it rusted out in just that one spot - all the metal is so solid. Nick Sterling's two daughters drove "by the Braille method" (including a front end collision once), perhaps they ran over something. At any rate, spraying the inside of the rockers while I have the trim off is a great idea. If you have that Eastwood part number, I'll order a couple cans.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Not much going on in the Faulkner garage - just can't find the time. I can't see Faulkner being ready for Carlisle 2016, unless I get fired. (!) Then I can find the time. But Carlisle 2017, for sure!

I did buy a bunch of stuff though! Sent my order to Goers on Wednesday (yup, ordered your stuff too, Matthew). I may not be ready to put them on, but at least I'll have them!

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

It's Christmas at Faulkner's house! Gary Goers is going strong - got a boatload of parts today. Now, where's the time to put them on?! I know I put it around here somewhere...
IMG_0991.JPG
Those are Matthew's air filters
IMG_0992.JPG
Matthew, you're going to have to help me with these trunk panels...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dan wrote:Looks like I'm going to have to drill out the gravel shield trim screws on the passenger side - they are rusted tight.
Dick wrote:Harbour Freight has a small AIR impact tool for screws, that tool has saved my butt many times. It's Central Pneumatic Reversible Air Screwdriver Item #90059. I think they are Under 20 Bucks.
Well, I took your advice, Dick, and bought the air impact tool; but my compressor just doesn't have enough oomph to drive it. So I went back to Harbor Freight, and bought an impact tool for a hammer. I took a couple of smacks with it, and the tip of the philips snapped off inside the screw. So, I decided to try and drill them out. As rusty as they are, they are hardened steel -- I made hardly a scratch.

And then, it occurred to me: The screw bodies are accessible from behind the lip of the fender well. So I loaded up again with Liquid Wrench, and then...

IMG_1124.JPG
after a whole lotta cussin'...

Damn if that didn't do the trick. It took several attempts and some cussin', but I was happy to see the heads turn when I leaned on the vise grip.

Moral to the story: Where there's a will, there's a way. This obstacle had been keeping me from getting out to the garage, but with this problem out of the way, I'm getting ready to strip the rest. Dick, I hope tomorrow to package up a couple bundles and mail to you, before Mary Kay and I head out to Iceland on Thursday.

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Good job. Wow I'd better get moving, I have all pieces done in the triangle box and three pieces in the pipe. Will concentrate on your stuff. That impact wrench has an adjustment, did you try that? You and Mary Kay have a great time.
Dick

'
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I forget what I bought that shipped in these styrofoam panels, but I'm glad I saved 'em:

IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1127.JPG

How clever of me, to use a jigsaw to cut the recesses out. Now, there are foam dots everywhere:

IMG_1128.JPG

Mary Kay doesn't need to know, OK? Between you and me, as to where these things came from? "I dunno, Honey, maybe it's tree pollen now that Spring has arrived."

I'll tape them up in cardboard and ship them out, but first it's time for my nap.

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan, I assume those are the rear fender top trim. I only received one rear cap, I hope you are sending me the other one.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick, no - those are the roof rails. The rear fender top trim I can get into PVC, but not these - too much of an arc.

Yes, I have the other fender cap to send you.

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

OK.
DICK