Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Dick Koch

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Dick Koch »

No, don't have power windows. We have those grommets at ACE, the grommets and tubing is to prevent chaffing of the wires. A black thin wall rubber tubing like shrink tubing or split spiral tubing might work.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I have the tubing from Gary. I'm just wondering what keeps them from pulling away from the grommet - my guess is that the grommet goes inside the tube, you snap the grommet into place, and compression keeps it from pulling out. Conjecture on my part, I guess I'll find out when I take it apart.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Rushed at the end of the workday to get to NAPA before they close at 6 - and after rummaging around, the guy behind the counter found the exact right brass fitting for the fuel filter. And as luck would have it, NAPA was running a 20% off sale - a perfect time to buy a flat top group 24 battery! Better yet - the fitting was free, he couldn't find the SKU in the computer.

battbefore.jpg
before label
battafter.jpg
after label
label.jpg
new label! Will look sweet with the Tar Topper

Just waiting on the fuel pump now.
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Dan, bite by bite Faulkner's coming together! :D
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks Will! Grilled elephant with teriyaki marinate is surprisingly tasty! :D
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

My fuel system woes continued today. The new fuel pump arrived - that bolted on easy enough - and I used yellow teflon tape on all pipe threads (i.e., not flare fittings), on the pump and on the glass bowl filter. I put the new fitting on the output side of the filter, snugged down the fuel line, and gave it a crank. Doncha know Faulkner fired right up! And gasoline was everywhere...

I wiped everything down, and removed the steel line between the filter and the carb. You know, those steel flares look clean as a whistle, I don't get it. So I backed out the brass fitting I just bought at NAPA, and gave it a closer inspection...

Damn! It's for an SAE 45 fitting, there's no seat for the flare!

I'm hoping it's just this fitting that's giving me grief now. I want to keep the glass bowl filter, but I don't know if that rubber grommet is still good and contributing to the leak. (Hard to tell with gas spraying everywhere.) I got new parts for it 14 years ago, from Claude at Fuel Pumps A2Z. They used to have a website back then, but it's now defunct. There's this Facebook page with a phone number, maybe I'll call them tomorrow and see if they're still in business. I can make out the P/N for the Carter filter - 2146397 - and there are plenty of used ones on eBay, I would just like to buy new parts for it.

IMG_8163.jpg

So, I'm on the hunt for the right fitting. The flared tubing is 5/16" OD, the fitting for the flare is 1/2", and the NPT to the filter is 1/4". I doubt Lowes has it, but I'll check in the morning.

In other news, I slapped the brakes back together on the passenger rear (where I had replaced the seals), I used a little emory cloth to break the glaze on the old shoes like my old man showed me. They just have to work well enough to get to the shop, where all new parts will be installed. I didn't bleed the cylinder yet, I just didn't have the heart to take that on at the end of the day.

Family is coming this weekend! It remains to be seen, if I get the U-joint in the driveshaft and put that back in with whatever time is left. And the days are growing short...
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan for info only. The yellow Teflon tape you are using is for gas, as in household, not for gasoline! Ace has a compound for threads on gasoline fittings, our ace has reverse flare fittings, but a small selection. My source is NAPA.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick, yeah - the use of yellow teflon tape is hotly debated on the H.A.M.B. boards, where some guys say they use it with great success, and others say avoid like the plague. I've never had a problem, but there's always a first time.

The interesting thing I've just read is that the tape isn't intended to seal - it's intended to lubricate the threads so that they turn deeper. Teflon paste actually does seal (and this is what I used on the transmission kick-down adjustment, you may recall), so I guess I'll take things apart and use the paste instead.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I spent the morning running around - NAPA, Ace, Lowe's, and a specialty plumbing store. No one could match up the fitting I need.

But Google to the rescue, and - I guess - Amazon. It comes in a package of ten, but I've already spent 20 bucks on gas, what the hell.

flare.png
From the Eaton (Weatherhead) catalog
flare2.JPG

Kiddies are coming, life is short, and I'm wasting time. I'm gonna pull the trigger on this.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Just an old mechanic trick... I found that sealing the pipe thread into the pot-metal fuel filter top, I paint the brass threaded part with old fashion nail polish and assemble immediately do not over tighten, some strange reason this has worked for me every time. even with todays corn-gas.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I couldn't find Mary Kay's nail polish, and I'm fresh out of my own :o :? , so I went with Permatex hi-temp thread sealant instead for the fuel line. I redid the fittings between the filter and the pump, and the filter to the carb - maybe tomorrow, I'll crawl under the car and redo the input to the pump.

Also got the driveshaft back in, and bled the brakes. For a couple bucks I picked up a syringe on Amazon, it made short work of filling the master brake cylinder so @#$@&#!! close to the bellows. Thank goodness the bend in the brake tubing on the axle housing kept air from propagating elsewhere - it didn't take many pumps of the pedal to clear all bubbles from the fluid coming out. For sure, the brakes will be good enough to back it out of the driveway.

IMG_8193.JPG
Yeah, that's the space heater running in the corner. Takes the chill off nicely!
IMG_8190.JPG
IMG_8191.JPG
IMG_8192.JPG

Soon I'll be mounting the old tires (new ones, after the repaint) and putting Faulkner back on Terra Firma, the first time in three years. I reinstated my classic car insurance - on hold during this period - and tomorrow, I'll run by John Hauser's Drexel Automotive and discuss plans for redoing the brakes and exhaust. This is getting so real!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Oh yeah - topped off the pumpkin with 90W gear oil :D
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I redid the inlet to the fuel pump with Permatex thread sealant, but I'm not too happy with the rubber fuel line I installed - or, the clamps. So I drove over to Ace hardware with the fitting from the old pump, and the older gentleman that runs the shop took me directly to rubber fuel line for mowers and lawn tractors. Doncha know it was the perfect size! The Gates stuff I bought was 1/16" too big - and Ace had the perfect screw clamps too. It took some effort to get the rubber over the bead on the fittings, but tight is just fine with me. Faulkner fired right up, I let it run for a few seconds to build pressure in the line, and ran back to the engine compartment, fearing the worst...

No leaks!! What is it about Ace, and the older guys you find working there? :D

Drexel Automotive thinks they can do the brakes and the exhaust in a day, since I have all the parts (except for the aluminized lead pipes, which they will make up). Thursday evening, the flatbed comes - I'll have Faulkner in the street, he'll spend the evening inside the shop for work on Friday. I'll try to get pix, if they let me in the garage. I only got two tires on before I called it a day, after work this week I'll get it back on the ground and back it out of the garage to test the brakes.

IMG_8211.JPG
40 F in Upper Darby - but the perfect temperature inside the Faulkner garage! That little space heater really takes the edge off. I plan to keep it '59 in here, all the time...
IMG_8205.JPG
Wouldn't those wheels look good in bronze?!
IMG_8207.JPG
loaded up with parts
IMG_8208.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I raced home after work, and got out to the garage. I got the other two tires on, and then began the parade around the car to lower it off the jackstands. What a pain in the butt! I forgot what a challenge it was to get it up in the air like that. I didn't remember that in addition to my full size floor jack, I must have used my mini-hydraulic to hold one side of the front in the air, and then incrementally lower it first on one side, then the other, to get the front on the ground.

Finally back on the ground! Faulkner seems so much lower now :shock: :D But with all that running around, I didn't want to deal with the stress of something going wrong - so I'll back the car out tomorrow night to test the brakes. The driveshaft turns freely with the emergency off, and not when it's on - so I've got that as backup.

IMG_8220.JPG
Bearing a remarkable semblance to Christine at this point!
IMG_8221.JPG
I'll want to change clothes for the driving test anyway - wouldn't want to get any grime on the upholstery

And yes, Ron - I cut the neighbor's tree back! 8)
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Oh Noes! :o I guess I'll be postponing Faulkner's trip to the shop Thursday night.

Untitled.png

I'll call tomorrow, to see if they can accommodate on Tuesday (for a Monday night flatbed)...

:cry: