Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
RICKYMOPAR

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

The windshield washer pump with the switch to activate wipers... I honestly have never seen any like it.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yup... Very interesting setup, Rick.

I'm convinced now the small lever is under the switch - that's how I reassembled it when I disconnected the switch from the foot pedal. An exercise for tomorrow.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

"Show Me."

IMG_9839.jpg

A bad ground.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Oh Noes! I see a part I missed in ordering from Gary Goers - the weatherstrip ends that Dick put on Reddy:

100_0227.JPG

I attribute it to poverty. I'm so poor, I can't pay attention :lol:

Oh well. I'll have to taper it, or something, at the edge and make do. Fortunately, I did order the right weatherstrip. It's been sitting in a box for 15 years :oops:
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Well, what do you know! I remember the wide clips for the front of the door, but forgot the rear clips. I wish I could embed them somehow - maybe I’ll cut a slit and insert them.

D38C2479-9AB2-4E26-A601-8C2DBA83EC11.jpeg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Well, I gave up on trying to insert those end clips; I just ended up gluing it. It came out well enough, and the doors have that solid showroom door-slam sound.

And, I got the hood pad installed - always tricky with that 3M spray glue, but somehow I got it right the first time.

IMG_9848.JPG

And the windshield washer switch is back inside the pump assembly - but, without the small activation lever. For now, if I pump windshield spray, I'll turn on the wipers :roll: I can't seem to get it into place; I really regret ever taking it apart, but lesson learned.

And, I got one section of windlace installed before I had to call it quits; it got up to 92 in the garage today, and I've been out there all day.

Tomorrow, Faulkner goes back to the mechanic to get the tailpipes right - they couldn't set them properly because the bumper wasn't on, even though I gave them a picture of Dick's car. I think it will probably take extenders to bring them out to the bumper, but I'm OK with that. And, while they're at it, I'll have them adjust the emergency brake. Shoes first, then the cable - and, I have a NOS emergency cable if needed. So tomorrow I'll finish touchup on the interior, and other miscellaneous tasks. With any luck, I'll get the car back in time to remove the tires, because Wednesday is whitewall day. I guess I better paint the wheels tomorrow night, then... Hmmm: What color?
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Looking great Dan. It's A good feeling when things go together and the pile gets smaller. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:02 pm And the windshield washer switch is back inside the pump assembly - but, without the small activation lever. For now, if I pump windshield spray, I'll turn on the wipers :roll:
Well, that shouldn't be a problem - since the wipers are always on now :o

I dropped the car at the shop for the emergency brake/tailpipe fix, but now I'm scrambling to find a wiring diagram. The foot pump switch must jumper out the dash switch when the pedal is depressed - i.e., the foot switch is in parallel with the dash switch, not in series. But why does it have so many doggone wires?!? Anyone have a diagram, or know where I can find one? At this point, I just want to disable the thing. Perhaps if I remove the switch from the pedal, it will stop... I think I have to ground the switch, though. With it hanging underneath the dash, I had the problem I describe here.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I found this pic on this website:

DSCF4092-X2.jpg

That's the part - it looks like I ought to be able to disconnect it cleanly, but first I think I'll remove it from the pedal and ground it, in hopes that will render it inoperable.

That bronze paint for interior accents, that's slow to dry? It's still sticky! What a mess. Wiping with acetone seems to help - I've ordered some quick-dry Rust-oleum to spray over it, in the hopes I can salvage.

Faulkner's still in the shop! The emergency brake is fixed, but they aren't done with the exhaust - late tomorrow morning, I'm promised. Clock is ticking. Tick... Tock... Tick... Tock...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner was done at 9:30a, so I ran over to get him. The star wheel adjuster in the emergency brake was frozen - they managed to spread the shoes, remove the adjuster through the adjustment opening, unfreeze it and put it back. The emergency brake works great now - and, the tailpipes came out great too.

As soon as I got him in the garage, I put him up on stands and pulled the tires. I got a local guy to pop them off for free - he got to keep the Cornells, which had little mileage. I just couldn't keep Portawhites on them.

I spent the day cleaning, sanding and painting the wheels - tomorrow, I'll drop them off with the Cokers for mounting and balancing.

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
It got a tad warm in the Faulkner garage today
image4.jpeg
Painted the back of the wheels first
image3.jpeg
Oh Noes! I ran out of bronze paint. Oh well, I've got some argent, I guess I'll use that
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

A miracle!!

I took the switch out of the foot pump, and turned the ignition on. As before, the wipers ran continuously. Then I pushed in the plunger...

...and the wipers parked. Meaning, the switch goes in with the plunger on top, and with the activation lever on top! The plunger is normally depressed, and is released by depressing the foot pedal. It’s all working now!

Note to self: When partially reassembling something for a later date, and there’s two ways to do it - do it the way it came apart. Or take a picture! :x So mad at myself for the time I’ve wasted... at least, we can drive to Carlisle without the wipers on in bright sunshine :P
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Now that Faulkner has no more shop visits before Carlisle, the front seat is out to finish painting. And, I found a nice clear lacquer spray for the vinyl I painted bronze - it dries quickly and has eliminated the tackiness. So I guess I'll finish with that.

And it other news - Faulkner's got new shoes!

IMG_9867.jpg
IMG_9868.jpg
IMG_9872.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Today was X-Mat day. I remembered what Mark said about the razor sharp foil, and how you have to be careful so you don't cut your fingers.

Unfortunately, I remembered after I cut my fingers :o :x That accounts for the gloves in the second picture.

IMG_9876.jpg
IMG_9877.jpg
IMG_9880.jpg
IMG_9881.jpg
It got so hot in the garage, it was all I could do after the X-Mat to simply lay the carpet in, before calling it a day
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:09 am ... But, the upper rear panels can be put in with the lower panel and seat in. I'm asking - if I leave the door panels off, and the upper rear panels off, the rest can go in without getting in the way, correct?
The answer to that, is no - and here's why:

IMG_9889.jpg
The rear inspection plate needs to be off to get to the trim clips; and you can't put the rear armrests in, with the inspection plate off. And you can't put the rear seat in, with the rear armrests out.

Right again, Matthew!

I finished the windlace today, using the patented Mark Merritt method around the dash. In my case, I used wire strands, fished them through the clip holes (after removing some old clips!), and pushed them through the windlace, then twisted the wires tight:

IMG_9891.jpg
IMG_9892.jpg

Doncha know it worked! Thanks for the tip, Mark.

Other stuff I did today: I repainted the rear armrests all black, after wiping with acetone; I gave up on the bronze, it just never really dried. I'm keeping bronze on the front door as an accent, though - spraying with clear lacquer seems to have done the trick.

I also reassembled the front bench (sans swivel seats), including end covers from Gary Goers. I also fished speaker wire from the dash to the trunk, just in case I find the time to hook up the radio. And I trimmed the rear carpet to fit as best I could - more trimming will be needed once I go to put the rear armrests in place. The front carpet will go in tomorrow.

The list is getting shorter. But, still too long! I've got NOS door handles, but installing them - and the locks - will be tricky. At least, for T.W. Sam.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The carpet is in. The rear piece was molded in an odd way, and the tunnel is not snug - but it's the best I could do given the time I have. And, got the front seat frame in without scratching the paint job :o

Look at those gorgeous sill plates - stellar job, Mr. Koch.

IMG_9897.jpg