Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Faulkner

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Faulkner »

Dave Stragand, Patron Saint of The Forward Look, gave me a link to an obsolete web page on his website. Now, to find those Borg Warner parts...
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Check RockAuto!

Of course search for a Plymouth, 59, engine doesn’t matter.
Go to electrical bulb and socket, pick Parking lamp socket. There you go!

Solder the original wires from your sockets to the new ones and you keep the original connections
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

NAPA.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew Keij wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:52 am Check RockAuto!
I did check Rock Auto, Matthew - here's what they show, for both the outside (turn/park/brake) and inside (park/brake - the backup is the same as the park/brake):

turn.JPG

But the outer turn/park/brake should be different than the inner park/brake. The outer has two contacts, the inner (and backup) has one. And how can I be sure they're right about the size, if they're not right about the contacts? Why they don't list the size of the hole they fit is beyond me... I bought the ones I have from Goers, and never thought to check the size.
Matthew Keij wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:52 am Of course search for a Plymouth, 59, engine doesn’t matter.
Go to electrical bulb and socket, pick Parking lamp socket. There you go!
The PT94 (park/brake, and backup) looks to be right - but here's what Amazon shows for a PT32:

pt32.JPG

No snapclips, and a single pigtail. This doesn't look right to me.
Dick Koch wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:07 amNAPA.
I went to NAPA yesterday, Dick. I showed him what I had, asked for one that was 3/4", but he told me he had to look it up by his book. He did, brought something back, and it looked right - but, it was 5/8".

This shouldn't be rocket science, but I do seem to be wasting a lot of time on it.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I’m pretty sure the rockauto fittings will be good as I ordered a pair for a friend with a C10.

They have singles and doubles
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

You mean, Matthew saves the day!!

Thanks!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

OK - taillight sockets on order, thanks to Matthew. So I worked on putting the headlight buckets together today - came out nice.

IMG_9579.jpg

No working headlights, though! :o :cry: Headlight switch? Maybe - it was flaky before. I have a replacement I bought, thanks to Matthew pointing it out to me! One more task for the list...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Folks, when you put your roof rails back on - what did you use for sealant? Did you put it on the rail, or on the body, or both? Any pix?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:32 am Folks, when you put your roof rails back on - what did you use for sealant? Did you put it on the rail, or on the body, or both? Any pix?
Well doncha know, Tom Fox gave some advice on this in this thread. It turns out the search feature of the Forum is pretty useful - I'll have to tell Dick about it :D
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Today was taillight housing day - I managed to get both of them together, but only the one mounted when I ran out of gas. Also, I thought I took a pic, but I guess I didn't: Where the side chrome piece mounts to one of the housings, there was some chrome flash from the replating. I tried to file it, but was getting nowhere - I carefully took my angle grinder, and ground it down. And managed not to destroy the housing in the process :o :?

IMG_9606.JPG
Spreading the socket tabs locked them down tight
IMG_9609.JPG
There was a lot of interior crud left from the replating process - running a tap through the threads to clean things up a bit
IMG_9612.JPG
Matthew says, solder the wires, so I do - remembering to slip on a piece of heat-shrink tubing to dress it up
IMG_9613.JPG
Dick, that door edge protector worked out great! Just like you said it would, it took the bends nicely
IMG_9614.JPG
This is where Faulkner had been hit in some previous decade - I had my choice for the lead chrome piece: Snug to the housing, and leave a gap to the quarter panel, or snug to the quarter panel, and a little gap with the housing. I chose the latter. (There's still dust from the paint shop on the car, those aren't cracks! A good wipe down is in order)
Yay, it works! Even the backup light
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan, l have a Mopar Guru friend that soldered the wires when he installed the electronic ignition in Bertha Irene. The only time l ever broke down in one of my old cars was on l-10 halfway to New Orleans when a soldered wire came loose. I have never had a crimped connection fail.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I had a crimped wire connector failure that left me stranded on the side of the road :oops: was also a wire for the electronic ignition.
Soldered wires on an engine are something else the. A taillight luckily :mrgreen:

Dan, you ready for some beers, cheesesteaks and working on a 59 for a couple days in July?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew Keij wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:45 pm Dan, you ready for some beers, cheesesteaks and working on a 59 for a couple days in July?
Matthew! I am counting on it!! I will get done as much as I can, but the side trim will await your masterful installation. You worry about the trim, I’ll worry about the beer and cheesesteaks! :mrgreen:
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Both taillights are on and working. Now to get the headlights working, and the parking lights installed...

IMG_9619.JPG
a little Goop to hold gasket in place
IMG_9622.JPG
IMG_9624.JPG
a little gap here... (*sigh*) my best option. Still, nothing to see but chrome
IMG_9623.JPG
good alignment here