Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Dick Koch

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Dick Koch »

Mystery - I didn't have your phone number or email address to give to ups.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yeah - but you had my street address! :D I registered my email address with UPS to my street address, and they give me a headzup whenever something is coming. Pretty neat, huh? It's called "My Choice", and it's free - you can sign up here.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Now you almost puzzle it all back together :P
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew Keij wrote:Now you almost puzzle it all back together :P
Yeah. But, not before I take more stuff apart! Let's just hope, Faulkner doesn't end up like this... All it will take, is the Man from Poortvliet! :P
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Ya-HOO!!! Can't wait to get home...
delivery.jpg
Faulkner

There's been a mistake!!

Post by Faulkner »

Dick! I sent you boxes and tubes of banged-up trim, and today I got what you sent back. There's been some kind of mistake!! What you sent me is...

NOS!!!!

How can this be what I sent you?! The craftmanship is unbelievable...

IMG_1308.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG
Look at these sill plates! They were trash - I hoped they'd brighten up somewhat, but...
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG
This is incredible! And you even painted the turn signal housings for me, which also came out beautifully

But the topper: You charged me half of what I was expecting. All the time, effort, sweat and ibuprofen you put into this could not have been worth it for you. But, I'll take the savings and put it into a decent paint job for Faulkner.

Thank you, Dick Koch. You are a craftsman, and a gentleman. And I am indebted to you for your kindness.

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - Thanks for the kind words, the most important thing to me is that you are not dissapointed.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I finished scarfing down my dinner, and made small talk while my brain was elsewhere... Finally got back to unwrapping my Christmas presents:

IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG
Matthew, I defy you to find the "corrections" in the rocker moldings!
IMG_1312.JPG
And I thought the stone guards were too far gone. Can these really be mine?!

Dick Koch wrote:The most important thing to me is that you are not disappointed.
Not remotely possible, Dick. You are, simply put: A '59 Plymouth Magician.

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I spent the better part of the morning, replacing the outside passenger door handle on my Hyuandai Accent... No pix of that, and who cares. But, then it was Faulkner's turn.

Both bumpers are off. I had replaced the rear years ago, but the front is in decent enough shape that I didn't see the need:

IMG_1327b.JPG
IMG_1328.JPG
but the back of it is pretty ugly. I'll want to carefully wire brush it, but then what? Ospho, and maybe a couple coats of argent?
IMG_1329.JPG

The bumpers are now safely ensconsed in the upper shelf space of the garage, along with the drive shaft and housing from Ron's TorqueFlite (a gift from Ed Eckerson). The tranny body is in the corner of the garage... One wonders where Matthew will find a big enough suitcase :roll:

IMG_1329b.JPG
IMG_1330.JPG
I've got the weatherstripping for the rear shelf under the bumper (Goers), but none of the clips. Except one! Anyone know where these can be had, or what have you used for a substitute?
IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG
And now, the horror story that is my valance - and the shelf it bolts to, going under the lip of the front bumper. Long may it wave... But not for too long! I just need to find me a good body guy
IMG_1333.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG
IMG_1335.JPG
IMG_1336.JPG
IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1340.JPG
Here's some pix inside the fender, looking towards the eyebrow. The lower edge of the eyebrow towards the engine had apparently rusted out on both sides, but was skilfully repaired with body filler. I've got to clean, Ospho and encapsulate the inside of the fenders, but I don't see the need to get patch panels welded in
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1342.JPG
IMG_1343.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG
Something will have to be done here, however. I'll have to remove the taillight to see just how bad it is
IMG_1352.JPG
And, because I listen to everything Dick Koch tells me, I made a run to Harbor Freight! Here's a couple things I'll soon be needing.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - On the bumper, use your new cup brush on the rust, then ospho, then silver encapsulator or black encapsulator, then argent. A couple cans of silver encapsulator will come in handy. The clips for the shelf splash guard are the same as the interior weatherstrip, the round one that goes from the sill plate and on the edge of the door panel. Goers is supplying a plastic push clip in place of the originals. ACE has a good selection of various size plastic push pins that may work for you. Any good body shop should be able to repair the valance and front splash shield. Show them some pictures of how it's supposed to look.
Dick
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; for the rear rubber stone shield I used #10 stainless hardware(screw,nut,flat,lockwasher) Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
big m

Post by big m »

Wish you were closer, I'd fix that valance right up for you. It's actually in great condition compared to most out there. Mine was crushed flat and ripped at one end where something had hooked it, but I couldn't find anything better at the time.

---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

big m wrote:Wish you were closer, I'd fix that valance right up for you.
John, we need be no closer than the UPS Store! :wink:

We should tawk amongst ourselves.

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - That sounds just like the valence you sent me. It was flattened to a knife edge, used my press and impact sockets and got it perfect. Thank God you had one.
Thanks,
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Why Mr. Koch, I did not know you did valances too. Let's start a bidding war!

Dan