Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Dick Koch

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Dick Koch »

Actually you could use regular nuts but I didnt think the stud was long enough, but try regular nuts if there is enough room. The weld has come loose on the stud so the clip nut will have to be losened. Splane this part time vs full time situation.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I went to my local hardware store, and explained about "jam nuts". He looked at me as if I was from outer space. So, I went back out to the garage to tinker... I thought, maybe if I could put some tension on the clip by pulling on the bolt (with a nut on the end of it), I could turn the clip nut. And, after having loaded up with Liquid Wrench, it did turn a few spins...

IMG_1251.JPG

But then, lo and behold, the bolt itself pulled free of the clip, and through the hole in the hood. So, the trim is off! But, I'm in for at least two clips. I had bought this trim piece off eBay moons ago, and Matthew and put it on for me - apparently, there was already one clip missing:

IMG_1253.JPG

Dick, you suggested you might have a spare clip - do you have two? Add it to the tab! If not, I'll need to ask around for a supplier.

Tomorrow is the first day of "phased retirement"! Dick, you can expect the last shipment of trim to you tomorrow.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Two, just for you. Been working on the two rocker mouldings, both were nasty but 100 % better than before I started. Lots of deep pits, couldn't sand anymore but I think you will be happy. Besides they are down low and others will have to get down on their knees to find any flaws.
Dick
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Guess who will find flaws? :lol:

Nah, saw your work and it's amazing!!!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - It's a lot easier to take if you call them "Corrections". Usually they are warranted. Hi Matthew.
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick, I am sure I will be more than happy with the result, given their condition. Now, wait until you see the stone guards! It will take something short of a miracle to make them reasonable. Just do what you can.

Thanks
Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

T.W. Sam got up and mowed the grass on my first day off of semi-retirement. Then I got to work on packing up the trim. Three pieces of long trim were snug in the 4" PVC, Dick - particularly the upper rear window - but all had enough "spring" in them that I was able to snug them in. Two tubes and a box (with eyebrows, turn signal housing, and miscellaneous small parts) are on their way to you. Now, time for my nap.

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Splane me T.W. Sam. When you are working it's a nap. When you are retired or semi retired it's called a Power Nap. So there.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

T.W. Sam = The World's Slowest Auto Mechanic. That would be me.

Power Naps factor into the equation.

Dan
Faulkner

Notes from the Undercarriage

Post by Faulkner »

Apologies to Dostoevsky :ugeek:

Faulker is up off the ground on stands. Love that floor jack from Harbor Freight! And to think I made do with that weeny hydraulic jack all those years...

IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1284.JPG

Lots of caked on grease where there isn't rust. Fortunately, the rust is all surface - no weak spots, no rust through. Ought to clean up nicely. I'll scrape as much of the grease off as I can, and then use this oven cleaner trick to clean up the rest. Hey, it's not going to be a frame off, but I want to preserve Faulkner as much as I can.

It's so much easier to see what's going on under here with the car up on stands. While I imagine I could clean the gas tank up and knock out some dents, it looks pretty far gone to me... I think the Van's Auto replacement tank is the right thing to do:

IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG
some driving by the Braille method from the former owner
IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG
Lot's of surface rust like this
IMG_1288.JPG
Uh-oh! A leaky wheel cylinder, right rear. I'll be taking care of this pretty soon. We all know how much fun it is getting these drums off - good thing I invested in a puller
IMG_1290.JPG
The Smitty's are going - I bought a pair of mufflers from Ed Eckerson, along with the stainless exhaust (I'm missing one lead pipe), they will be going in replacement
IMG_1289.JPG
IMG_1291.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG
Talk about the Braille Method of driving! This poor valence is going to require a lot of work to bring it back

What do you think? Looks like I have my work cut out for me, doesn't it...

What's the advice for treating that surface rust, after wirebrushing it down? I've used Eastwood's Rust Converter with good success on spots in the past. Then follow up with Chassis Black?

Also, Dick - did I send you two of the long fin tops? I have three in the garage, the two I took off of Faulkner and one other. I'm wondering if I have an extra, or if it just never made it to one of the tubes I sent you.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:What's the advice for treating that surface rust, after wirebrushing it down? I've used Eastwood's Rust Converter with good success on spots in the past...
Or Ospho?
Faulkner

I'm exhausted

Post by Faulkner »

I never did open the package with the mufflers in it that Ed Eckerson sent me 6 or 7 years ago! Wow... They are beautiful:

IMG_1300.JPG

Which is the front, and which is the back?! And would the off-center pipes go towards the outside of the car, or the inside... I'll need to get stainless lead pipes for these, and another manifold pipe. I'll have to line up to see which manifold this is for (unless Ed remembers!). Not sure what the little adapter piece is for.

And here are the beautiful tail pipes, also from Ed!

IMG_1301.JPG

I just need to get the missing front pieces, some clamps and hangars and I'll be all set. Lessee... the undercarriage should be all cleaned up and painted by the time my exhaust expert arrives from Poortvliet... :lol:
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - If possible scrape the crud off, then wire brush with a 3 inch coarse cup brush on a small side grinder (harbor freight). I know it will be difficult laying on your back (wear goggles) but it will make the job less difficult. Make sure you clean all oil and grease with a solvent like minreal spirits. Next brush OSPHO every where, let set for 10 minutes then lighhtly wipe with a rag. Best to let set overnight then coat with Eastwood encapsulator, two coats if possible. It's an epoxy and you should not need the chassis black.
Finished your stainless, it's boxed and ready to ship tomorrow. Will email you the details later.
Dick
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Yes, I got the two fins tops.
Dick
Faulkner

Re: I'm exhausted

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Which is the front, and which is the back?! And would the off-center pipes go towards the outside of the car, or the inside... I'll need to get stainless lead pipes for these, and another manifold pipe. I'll have to line up to see which manifold this is for (unless Ed remembers!). Not sure what the little adapter piece is for.
This just in from Ed!
Ed Eckerson wrote: HI DAN
How have you been???

Its certainly been a while...

ANYWAY--You have a 318 correct???
The engine pipe is DRIVER SIDE.
I believe it is stainless
You can get other items from WALDRONS
also KEPICH makes good stuff

The muffs have the center outlet forward-- and the side opening to the outboard side for the rear.

I dont remember selling them to you--old age

You should have a 2" inlet pipe and 2" outlet pipe--just check that

HAVE FUN
ED
And Dick! I got four notices, like this one:

UPS.png

I am so excited about tomorrow night! When I get home, I'm going to put up the Christmas tree... 8) :lol:

Dan