Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Mark Merritt

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; The clips look like they attach to the door fuzzies {cat whiskers} door side Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

What do you do when it's too cold to work in the garage?

You buy parts! And buy, I did. John Paxos gave Dick Koch a headzup, and Dick clued me in, and the rest- as they say - is history.

IMG_5477.JPG
IMG_5476.JPG

Yup, I scored a great pair of bumper wings from John Bartell, at an awesome price. I just couldn't resist.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Reminds me of the line from the movie 'It's a wonderful life" ring the bell. :o
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Check NAPA for the vent hose. The lite green clips are for the horizontal window fuzzies.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Today, I was a middleman for my own money. I stopped by the Post Office, and dropped off my radio and dash clock. The radio will get the guts replaced with an Aurora retrofit - AM/FM, quad amp, Bluetooth and AUX input. The clock will get cleaned, polished and hands repainted.

The front speaker will be replaced with a 5" x 7" speaker with dual voice coils - I'll be installing two new 6" x 9" speakers in the rear. The latter arrived the day after I ordered them from Crutchfield!

IMG_5545.JPG
IMG_5546.JPG

Then, off to Integrity Auto Parts in Philly - where the proprietor of PCI will pick up my generator and starter for refurbishing. I provided generator replacement parts - brushes, springs, bushing - but PCI will come up with the brushes and the bendix for the starter. Integrity also has a "guy" who will rebuild the power steering unit, I dropped that off too along with a rebuild kit.

Then, to Frankford Plating! My taillight housing was supposed to be finished today - but wasn't :evil: :evil: Again! However, I did see it - they are indeed working on it, and building up the shallow area with copper. He promises (right) it will be ready in two weeks, and he will ship it to me. We will see. But, on my last visit I decided to drop off my spare horn ring, and I picked that up today. It was a mess, but wow! Did it come out nice - and he only charged me $175, I guess because of all the other grief he's given me.

IMG_5547.JPG
IMG_5548.JPG

This will be replacing the horn ring on Faulkner which is still in decent shape.

Tomorrow will be chilly in the garage - let's see if TWSAM actually gets something done without spending more money.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

When Faulkner gets some body work done here and there, and gets repainted - I hope to take it here, just around the corner from me. Read: I expect I can drive it, sitting atop the Dick Koch patented milk crate seat (TM):

Capture.JPG

And now I'm thinking - maybe, without the hood? Which I will deliver separately? Part of what I want for them to do, is realign the hood so that it is not so tight up against the cowl, a problem ever since I bought Faulkner. I think that's going to take adjusting the hinges with spacers, to move them forward a bit. Even though I bought another pair of hinges on eBay (thanks to Matthew), there's really nothing wrong with mine, or the spring tension - just, that they are just too close to the firewall.

It would give me the opportunity to clean up the underside of the hood, without raining crap down on the engine compartment - and to remove rust, to rustproof, and paint:

IMG_5581.JPG
this is the driver's side edge of the hood - I've hung a piece of matting over the hood to block bright light from the window that obscures the scene
IMG_5582.JPG
IMG_5584.JPG

What do you think?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The color code for Faulkner is "VV" - Bronze. The bill of sale says "Copper Spice". I'll be getting Faulkner repainted in this color - remnants of it appear here and there, like under the anodized trim.

The interior isn't original, although it retains some semblance to the original. I'll be repainting the red and white interior in black, with copper accents on the door panels and door handles. On a lark I bought this paint on Amazon - look how close it is to the original!

Krylon.JPG
IMG_5586.JPG

I'm thinking I'll buy more of this paint for the wheels, which I also plan to paint in the body color. Given the distance from the body (i.e., not immediately adjacent), I think this might work.

And here's another thought: Even though Faulkner was originally all bronze, I'm toying with the idea of painting the roof white for a little contrast (just like Ron's gorgeous Chrissie). What do you think, Matthew?!?
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

A white top would look classy! Isn’t the Sport Fury on that brochure copper with a white top?

Paint your wheels silver! It will look more normal with the hubcaps on.
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
william0431

Post by william0431 »

You can't go wrong with the white two tone. It also helps to give the illusion of lowness to the car and black and copper accent interior sounds killer Dan!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Hey guys, you missed my hood topic, one post up. What do you think, should I take it off?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Yes, remove the hood, it's easy but it really takes two people. Milk crate, how gross, it's bucket as in bucket seat, real class.
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yeah, I was thinking in the shower (speaking of gross) that maybe I would hook up a pulley to the beam above, and put two hooks under the hood lip. Sort of a do it yourself guillotine. Time to thumb through the Harbor Freight catalog...
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Actually Dan the hood is not very heavy, Yvonne helped me, remove all four bolts then lower the front leaving the rear resting on the hinges then with a person on each side walk it forward.
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Found it.
Dick Koch wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:39 am Milk crate, how gross, it's bucket as in bucket seat, real class.
You were right, I was wrong. So, sue me.

100_0172.JPG

Matthew - love those skirts! Now, those would look classy in copper...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew Keij wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:10 pm Paint your wheels silver! It will look more normal with the hubcaps on.
Like this, eh?

OK, OK...