Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Faulkner

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Faulkner »

The TV gave up the ghost; time to wire up all the subsystems to the new one. The dryer gave up the ghost; had to take the basement door and door stops off, to get the new one down and install it. While sitting on the throne, I noticed that the linoleum tile was lifting adjacent to it. Yup, a leak; the toilet's off, the tile is up and I am surveying the damage.

Needless to say, this is not a Faulkner weekend. (*sigh*)...
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

At least you are paying attention to things. I know of a guy that lost a sister in law to a toilet collapse. A funny story... I wish I could tell it like he did. Something like 'She rode the toilet like it was a hobby horse', and the flooring and plumbing gave away. He doesn't tell this story the same way when his wife is in the room.

Keep up the good work, I enjoy reading this thread.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Wow, I'd love to hear that story after your bud has a couple of Colorado Natives in him!
RICKYMOPAR wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:41 pm Keep up the good work, I enjoy reading this thread.
Thanks, Rick. Hey, do me a favor, and get Mr. Quinn to comment on this thread? And have him send me his build card while he's at it!

Dan
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Okay, Will do, john is at the Firefighters car show today. I was going to go also when a grand daughter fishing trip was planned. I love fishing and catching.
59 belvedere dual quad Ft. Collins.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The new TV is hooked up, I installed the gas dryer (and the basement door stop and door put back on, which I took off to get the dryer down there), the bathroom floor repaired and commode put back on. Now, back to fun stuff.

:shock: Not fun, fershur. I spent most of the day scraping, brushing and sanding inside the driver's side fender. I still have some degreasing to do with mineral spirits, but here are the results:

IMG_4279.JPG
IMG_4281.JPG
IMG_4283.JPG
IMG_4288.JPG
The eyebrows are really pretty solid, except for the corner towards the hood. This was skillfully repaired with welding and body filler
IMG_4289.JPG
Oops! Missed a spot
IMG_4290.JPG
IMG_4291.JPG
IMG_4277.JPG
My grease caps have seen better days. Is this something I could pick up at Rock Auto?

Tomorrow, I touch up, degrease and encapsulate. I also took a look at the transmission leak at the kickdown adjustment screw.

IMG_4276.JPG

I had bought an inch-pound torque wrench from Harbor Freight, just like Doc '59 told me to. I removed the lockdown nut, but then realized after messing with it that a regular hex-head socket wouldn't fit on a 5/16" square head. I ran to Auto Zone, and picked up a star socket set; but doncha know, it went from E14 to E16. The former is too small, and the latter is too large. I need a @#$!%@!! E15! Oh well, I'll order from Amazon, and deal with this next week.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Looks good Dan.It's getting there.I take my grease caps and tink it out (dents), I am sure they can be found on A good forward look parts car but new at rock I doubt. Keep going at it Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I have to admit, this is more fun than putting bamboo splints under my fingernails.

Done for the day, although not completely done painting this side. Some spots I'll only be able to get to with spray, so that's what I'll do.

IMG_4308.JPG
Look Ma, no dribbles!
IMG_4303.JPG
IMG_4304.JPG
IMG_4305.JPG
IMG_4309.JPG
IMG_4310.JPG
IMG_4311.JPG

I'm into my third gallon of Eastwood rust encapsulator, by the way. I expect I'll be getting a fourth before this job is complete - I have the passenger fender, the doors, and the underframe around the motor and trans to do yet.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

How did you get these panels in here so neatly, Dick?

The old stuff in my lid is not coming out cleanly, I'm wondering the best way to give enough clearance around the perimeter to work heavy cardboard into the opening.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

55 survivor wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:28 pm I am sure they can be found on A good forward look parts car but new at rock I doubt.
Yup, not at Rock Auto - but, Advance Auto has them. Not original, but hey, they're under the hubcaps, right? I like the way these look - I think I might go for them.

greasecaps.JPG
22901302_mrg_2485_pri_larg.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:26 pm How did you get these panels in here so neatly, Dick?

The old stuff in my lid is not coming out cleanly, I'm wondering the best way to give enough clearance around the perimeter to work heavy cardboard into the opening.
(*tap*, *tap*)... Hey, is this mike on?!? I haven't heard from Dick Koch in many a day... Is all well in Palm Beach Gardens, Dick?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - l thought l replied? Must have forgot to tap the submit button. I had a 36 inch wide roll of heavy kraft paper l used for masking when l painted the cars. I placed the paper over the opening and ran my thumb along the opening edge to outline a pattern. I found some heavy black picture backing board at Michael's Kraft Store. You may be able to source some at a upholsterer, they use it as a separator to block off the back of the seat when you open the trunk and for door panels. I then used the pattern to mark the board for cutting then used clear liquid nails adhesive in a smal ltube.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Those grease/dust covers can be sourced at NAPA or any parts store.
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks Dick!

I picked up the radiator today - they did a decent job in taking out the dent and repairing the damage - I'm satisfied. Now if it holds antifreeze, I'm golden!

IMG_4343.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Wow, they did a great job on that radiator.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

What Dick said. She looks good enough to make another sixty years.