Marks winter of "59"

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
rogerh

Re: Marks winter of "59"

Post by rogerh »

Ah, thanks for the info!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Not much happening,still waiting for the motor,I did get the front clip done.Core support,inner fenders,satin black.Also painted the outer skins,and had the battery box area repaired,it had some corrosion,must of had a battery leak at some point.Got the radiator flushed and checked for leaks(none),and primed and painted the exhaust manifolds with VHT high temp paint,took them to work and "cooked" them in the oven.Everything looks like new,all the hardware comes off easily because of the lack of rust.I am going to clean/replace all hardware.The inner tire area was done satin black but with A light "splatter" effect,turned out nice!! Got my core support rubber the other day,probably do the distributor next. Mark M
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I remember trying to stay factory original with my car, doing the inner fenders in satin black, but the fender wells were done with dove grey, similar to the underside of the trunk floor. I didnt bead-blast and prime the insides of the fenders, just cleaned and spray-canned, so they weren't pretty for long.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Roger; Some things are going to be my own idea,it is hard to stay with the factory,I have seen some differences depending what factory they where built,your right about the ivory.My biggest challenge is going to be the interior(probably next winter) the car exterior is going to be flame red/white,but I am not nuts about the factory interior color choices.The original interior is red/gray with gray headliner and gray window trim,I was thinking red/white inlay tuck and roll,light headliner(bone),black or red dash.Anyway that is down the road and i'll look around and come up with something hopefully by then.Seems like the interior choices back then were very nuetral.All the pieces in the pics were shot or glass beaded they cleaned up wonderful. Thanks Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I never mean any of my comments to be taken as criticism, just making sure you all know that.
I don't want to get into the stock vs custom discussion, other than to say I think going "custom" demonstrates the owner is willing to advertise his individuality.
When I did my car, my main influence was to make it a time capsule.
Your car will be one-of-one, as no one else will do it exactly like you.
Indeed, it is getting increasingly difficult to do the interior to factory specs anyway...according to posts on the FL site, SMS continues to be "difficult" to get product from.
I would rank the original Fury upholstery a close second to the Sport Fury in eye-appeal. For a short time I had a Fury station wagon, and the door panels and seats looked pretty good to me.
I don't know as I've ever seen a grey cloth headliner...I assumed they were all white, but maybe only the cardboard headliners were that way? I wouldn't want a grey headliner.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Roger;I truely appreciate any input,and none taken as criticism and I know where your coming from on the custom/stock rebuilds.The Buick I have was easier because it is very presentable as it is,everything is original,paint,interior,engine etc.the Plymouth is alot more af A challenge.The Buick was more replacing rubber items,rebuilding fuel pump,carb,changing flushing fluids,sealing the gas tank,and alot of wiring/ground issues,most anything related to sitting and not driving.I spent about 2 winter lying underneath that car L.O.L !! The engine will be silver,and the tranny wil be left unpainted,can't wait to get that back,then things will be going back together as I have car parts in various places of our home.When it gets done it will be A driver,the Buick is A driver now ,I would think nothing of taking her to florida,it runs like A top!! The Plymouth seems easier to do and work on than the Buick there are many engineering differences,mainly in the suspension and electrical.Under dash the Plymouth is alot more simple,and of course the braking differences (Plymouth 2 wheel cyl.etc.left hand/right hand threads lug nuts).Will post more when I get the motor back,I have kind of ran out of things to do on it for now. Later!! Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Looks like you're making alot of headway. I went with a custom non stock interior for mainly financial reasons and looking back i'm kind of glad I scrimped. Its served me well and i'm kind of rough on it as well.So I don"t loose sleep over spots, cat scratches, etc.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Looking good Mark, won't be too long before you are crusin.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Thanks guys !!! Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Got the motor back,now the fun begins.bored .030 over,crank ground .010,it is painted VHT #403 titanium silver,has A blue tint.going to marry it up to the tranny next.Bye for now, Mark M
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
jason

Post by jason »

Very nice Mark......engine looks fantastic mate!!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Looks like a component from United Starship Enterprise!
Sharp!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Question: Does anyone know why there is A timing mark degree scale stamped on the harmonic balancer? I have the one that is attached to the block(2 bolts), the harmonic balancer has the line(slash stamp), and lines up correctly with top dead center.The stamped scale 0 thru 10,before and after,is sitting at about 1:00 clock (the one stamped on the balancer) is there another line up mark on the water pump? I removed the scale on the block to get A better picture of the balancer,I don't know why they would have two degree scale guides. Thanks Mark M
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
jason

Post by jason »

My 57 has the timing marks on the pully too.........could be off a 57?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark - My 318 "A" Block has a pointer attached with two bolts on the water pump and a line on the crank pulley, no timing degree marks anywhere, it's my understanding the 318 "A" Block has no harmonic balancer on the cranc pulley, it's balanced internally. I also have a 3i8 "LA" Block and it has a harmonic balancer on the crank pulley.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.