Marks winter of "59"

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Mark Merritt

Marks winter of "59"

Post by Mark Merritt »

Just an update of what I have been up to,or underneath of,I decided to freshen up the fury.Got the tranny back,it had A complete rebuild including the torque converter.I have decided to leave it "natural",and not paint it.Some of the assembley stamps and yellow paint marks are kind of cool.The 318 is almost done,it will be .030.over,my guy is doing the heads as I speak,hope to get it back in A couple of weeks. I am now doing the suspension,bushings,ball joints,etc.etc.The drivers side turned out good,I just started the pass. side. I took off the front clip and was surprised there is no rust,all hardware came off nicely.Am going to paint the engine area,and dress alot of the wiring.I have seen alot of the pics of some of the others projects and am amazed at the before and after results,you guys are "PLYMOUTH GODS". The rest of the car may be done next year,I didnt want to bite off too much,just want to finnish what I started.Will stay in touch,it will keep me busy in Erie this winter!!!!!!! Mark
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Marks winter of "59"

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Looks like a great start! And winter just started! :D

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rankinrr

Post by rankinrr »

Yup looks good. Merry Christmas
Rob
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Looks great Mark - just curious what are your plans for the brake booster. Will you be able to rebuild that yourself??
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark - Great work, you should have a lot done by spring.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Steve;The booster,I don't know yet.The brakes function is good but before the tear down there was a hissing sound and didn't get to tracking it down,(probably A vacum leak) but they did work ok.I may send it out to THEN AND NOW ANTIQUE PARTS CELLAR in Weymouth Mass. I have delt with them before and they are good.I did discover the brake adjusters were froze stuck,I know there should be resistance but these would not budge,I hit them with PB Blaster and A little effort they now work fine.Does anyone know where I can find the rubber half (2 piece) doughnut for the center of the core support to the frame? I also counld use the dust boots for the end of the torsion bars at the pivot. Thanks MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!! Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark - All of those pieces can be had at Gary Goers. If you are talking about the radiator support those are standard body mounts.
Dick.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dick; Thanks I will get A hold of him after the holidays,today I took the front clip apart (5) pieces for A clean up and paint.All the hardware came out nicely. Happy holidays. Mark M (Merritt)
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Got A little more done this weekend,got the stone guard and valance back.Spot welded the 2 brackets on the valance(bent and broke),painted argent,black on the inside.Buffed the grill(turned out bright and shiney,the pic does it no justice).Started to paint the engine bay,got the bushings pressed in for the other side/new ball joints.I had A big hole IN the heater core housing,the previus owner/owners had cut A large hole by the blower motor to acsess it,it had duct tape over it and looked like it was ther for 30yrs.Critters had A nest next to the vent door.everything has turned out very very nice,I should get the motor back fairly soon,the holidays slowed it but i'm not in A hurry for it anyway.The control arms are primed,I am going to paint them black next week and assemble them.When the motor comes back it is getting bolted to the tranny and going straight in,should be way easier than when it came out. Mark M
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Damn Mark - Your work makes mine look second rate.
Dick.
rankinrr

Post by rankinrr »

I am not worthy....... I am not worthy......... I am not worthy........ Great Work!!!!!!
:shock:
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

The car is in my garage,but the parts have gone to A young fellow (friend of my nephew) he works at A body shop during the week,and is allowed to to side jobs at the shop on week ends.He is about 26 or 27 and has gone through body shop schooling.He is very knowledgeable,fussy,and cheap!! I talked to him about doing the whole car at A later date,and he is very interested.I just gave him the inner fenders and the core support,probably hear back next weekend or two.It is good to see someone as motivated as he is,I give extra,I told him he don't charge enough,he said $400.00 and i'm telling you all those parts were rough!! He enjoys that work and is very talented.I think he could easily have A future restoring antique cars,next time I see him i'm going to put A bug in his ear!!!!!!!
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
big m

Post by big m »

Looks great, Nice job on those parts!!

---John
In rust we trust!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The lack of rust on your car, in upstate NY??!!, is phenomenal! And the car has found a determined and motivated owner in you. Keep up the momentum, and posting of pictures, for those of us with no garage, or worse.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Roger;This one is spent most of it's time in Las Vegas,hence the no rust,I live in Erie pa.if it was here the whole time,all that would be left is an oil stain on the garage floor,and I would be holding the door handle.Thanks for the come back,should get the motor back later next week!! Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!