Marks winter of "59"

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Mark Merritt

Re: Marks winter of "59"

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dick; The engine and valve covers are the same,the paint is VHT #403 titanium silver engine paint,I got it at Auto Zone.It was engine heat primered by the rebuilder before I painted it.I could not get or find Mopar silver they don't make it no more.This paint has A tinge of blue,it looks good,I like it. Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

P.S. I got the engine wire harness today from YNZ, put it in and is good as new,I put small black loom covering over them,it turned out good,right length, colors,termination, fires up fine!!!! Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Oh, that's interesting...they don't wrap the wires as original?
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Roger; The section from the T connector to the back of the cylinder head had A protective wrap and is good,I just gave it some over kill. I used to wire locomotive cabs. Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Guys; I got a little more done,nothing you hav'nt seen before,even A pitcha of my ugly mug. QUESTION; do they make or can you get the rectangular plastic inserts (8) that the screws for the headlight bezels go into (the raccoon eye around the head lights)? Mark M
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
jason

Post by jason »

Hey Mark she's lokkin great. Nearly there. Those plastic screw mounts are available as they have been used on car right up until today. There are lots of different sizes but I would try a crash repair supplier (could even try a crash/body shop) or a fstener/bolt retailer. I bought mine from Universal fasteners in Australia(that's where I live)

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Gromme ... _s/104.htm

Just found this site. The GM ones look similar to what you need for the headlight trim. I can't remember what size they are though. Need to measure the square hole in the headlight base. Good luck.
Guys this mob sells all types of body fastener for auto in general. It might pay to add this link to your favourites for your reference. Just because it doesn't say Plymouth part doesn't mean it won't work.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Great tips, Jason. And you've reminded me that's where I got mine...at an auto paint supply store.
They may also be on the "Quick Repair" swivel display (a stand-alone rack with 8 display sides) along with the replacement window cranks, interior door lock mushroom caps, etc. at your local Napa store.
Last edited by rogerh on Wed May 08, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Jason,Roger; Thanks for the info,A couple of mine cracked in half and are held in with tape,the plastic gets brittle after 54yrs.I'll look into it,thanks Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Back at it again,got the car all together,runs great,A littlle flat spot in the carb I'm not going to worry about it till I get some miles on it probably the accelerator pump(it's A new rebuild) othe than that everything is a-ok,tranny shifts nice,motor cranks right along,just need to get some miles on it.I am doing the brakes now,she's on A stand and am also painting the rims.I got new 7.50 14 coker BF Goodrich bias ply tires 2 1/4 white walls.I'M going "old school".Pulling the back drums was A M O T H E R!! But they popped and came off,had to use the breaker bar on the drivers side.The adjusters on the rear are froze,the front ones are fine,I did those last winter,the date on the rear pad has "84" I think that was the last time it had shoes,am going to put new ones on and free the adjusters up and bleed the brakes,was also going to turn the drums.The power booster still leaks A little and has A hissing sound when applying the brakes,also effects the motor at idle,i'll have to get to that later,only have 2 hands!!!!!!! LATER Mark M P.S. the hub puller was the best $37.00 on E-Bay I ever spent!!!!!!!!!
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I'm excited for you! Many thanks for posting your report!
I love the pic of the hub puller...you got the real thing, and at a decent price !
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Wow Mark - Beautiful Car, love 4 dr. cars, My 60 Desoto is a 4 dr. No hassle with passengers, 2 drs. are nice and worth more but you have to be under 15 yrs. old to get in the back. Glad to hear your progress.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

I recall the impossible struggles with my hubs before a friend alerted me to and sold me a hub puller. Life was great after that!!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I might have told this story before but just in case. When I first got Charleen I wasn't aware you needed a hub puller for the rear drums so after much struggling I finally rented a Hub Puller and whamo, off they came pretty easily. So I figured a little grease on the axle shaft would help next time, WRONGO, ALWAYS LEAVE DRY. The nest time I tried to get the drums off no matter the force on the Hub Puller, no matter how much heat, no matter how many times striking the puller shaft with a hammer it was no go. Found out the only way was in combination with the puller and heat and a twenty pound sledge hammer it would work. Ater approx. 6 to 8 strikes with the maul they popped. Needless to say the drums were destroyed and useless. If this ever happens to you or your rear drums wear out ALWAYS remove the hub from the drum and save it. New replacement drums do not come with the hub.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Thanks for the come backs,I was thinking of using A light film of moly lube assembley paste on the hub,it is graphite based,we use it at work on the choo choos,also good on threads/nuts,stuff always disassembles easier with it,it works good.Going to paint the rims this week end,I would like to static balance the rims when I get the tires mounted and put the weights on the inside,I checked them to see if any were bent and spun them, they checked out ok(you never know).I'm going to take the brake "platform" off and free the adjusters on the bench,A little shot of tri-flow should do the trick.I put air shocks on the rear,has anyone done that? It's working out good,I never had A problem and seemed to be the correct height,but there will be times when I got 4 people,chairs,cooler,full tank of gas,etc.etc. and didn't want to be dragging ass. I have taken it out at A couple of shows the last 2 weekends(forgot my camera),It gets alot,alot of interest!! We have no 50s mopar around my area,I'm telling you there are none!!!! So people are seeing something different,something they have'nt seen in A long long time.We enjoy the car but I also enjoy seeing others smiling as they look at it too!!!! Later Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
jason

Post by jason »

She looks beautiful Mark!