Marks winter of "59"

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Mark Merritt

Re: Marks winter of "59"

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dick; You are correct,I meant to say crank pulley,the balancer is the thick heavy one.I have the pointer with the two bolts and hash mark on the crank pulley,maybe the scale on the pulley was used for degree/assembley purpose,I don't know.Thanks for the input. Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Mark M. Coming along nicely! When do you expect it to be on the road? This Spring or Summer?

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

John; I'm shooting for may,might even be earlier.Next winter it's going for A body revamp and possibly the interior,I would love to do it now,and would be the best time since it is already stripped but will get it road worthy first. Bye for now, Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Guys; I got the motor and tranny in over the week end,things have been going together very well,the motor mounts and tranny cross member and tranny mount have all been torqued,as well as the bell housing bolts.It took A little A little time to figure the water pump bolts(different lengths) Ihad to refer to my pics and found the power steering bracket bolts to it,good thing I took lots of pictures before I took it down.I also placed the hardware in zip lock bags with A note describing what and where it is from,that helps alot!! Next weekend should be the starter,exhaust pipes,brackets etc. bye for now Mark M
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

You are cruisin' now with the re-assembly part! Looks good!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

making notes, taking pictures, bagging parts, ...makes it go much more smoothly!
Dick and Tom F. are the only ones I know who can rebuild these cars with their eyes closed..Dick is on his third 59P restoration, seems like Tom (guessing here) restored four or five!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Thanks for the Compliment Roger but I have to photo, bag & tag everything. It's getting so I have to stop at the back door and concentrate on where the hell the garage is. Other than a few VW's about 30 years ago my record of late is painting the Desoto, Charleen and the convertible I'm doing now. The convertible will be the last one but I might/maybe paint Greenie. Even thought the paint is all original and they are only original once it really looks bad. The engine bay has been restored and the upholstery has been redone so why not.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
jason

Post by jason »

Looking real good Mark.......
Wont be long now before your driving around again!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Guys;I got some more done this weekend,took A break last weekend.I got the carb sent out for A rebuild,still need to hook up th tranny cable(any trick to how it goes back in ?)neuteral safety switch wire,fuel line,probably put the driver side inner fender on before I fire it up to place the voltage regulater,selenoid,wires,etc.All filled with fluids,the distributor was A fun time with the oil pump alighnment to the distributor gear,to the number one(front driver side)and felt for compression stroke(finger in hole)and made sure the piston was at the top with a plastic rod to monitor for top dead center,then checked the timing marks and it was right on the money!! I made stamp marks on the distributor/block for reference and went back perfect,alot of previous pictures also helped before the tear down.If I got the carb back and spent an after noon I could fire it up,but I am kind of waiting for the weather to warm some more,would be nice.I also installed an auto meter mechanical oil pressure gauge and am also running the idiot light,I put A T fitting in the block.I put plugs in today,autolite ar85,i'll give them A go, .035 gap and am running points(old school)I just hear alot of pros and cons(mostly cons) about electronic ignition,and I am staying with points,that is all I run in my tractor(1955 Ferguson) never skips A beat,run hour after hour and just an occasional touch up/re set.Don't know if I will get to it this weekend,I'm A birthday boy on thursday the 21st (55) the wife say's i'm getting spanked,I can't wait!!!! Buy for now Mark M
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Looking good!
Make sure you route the passenger side park, horn and headlights wiring behind the vertical Hood support, if you forget then just unbolt the support and tuck behind..

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

jason

Post by jason »

Hey Mark,

Is that a GENERNATOR (ALTERNATOR in a GENERATOR Body) you have fitted there.?
It dosnt quite look like a stock Generator.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

John; I will double check my pics for the wire routing,i'm sure your right, thanks for bringing it up,Jason that is A stock generator,the face at the impeller has A little surface rust from the clean-up/rebuild,maybe that is why what looks different. I need to touch it up,thanks, Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Looks almost like teh factory assembly line...so clean and purty!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Looks almost like teh factory assembly line...so clean and purty!
rankinrr

Post by rankinrr »

Yeah, sure does look clean. How do you keep your garage so clean? LOL I walk in my garage and it gets cluttered without touchin' a thing!!!!
Love it.
Rob R