Marks winter of "59"

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Mark Merritt

Re: Marks winter of "59"

Post by Mark Merritt »

Thanks All; Matt I don't think it's going to make Carlisle this year,it will be close to done by the end of summer.Looking to bring it for next year.Dan the tywrap method worked good.The gasket would come off the fence when I worked the gasket over the glass close to the curve area.With the tywraps I would nip one off one at A time as I progressed upward till I got past it.Oddly enough the lock strip type gasket is also used on choo choos,but that glass lays flat on the cab, way, way easier, I have done those too!! Mark p.s. Dick you are the Guru not the amature.
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Got some more done. Waiting for the windshield lower trim clips from Gary Goers.Had to take the hood off to get at the mirror hardware. I needed yo take it off anyway for A paint and hood insulation.Came out good. What are those 2 holes in the hood near the cowl rubber( middle of the hood, glass end) used for? Looks like something was attached to them,don't know.ordered cowel rubber as well.Painted the inside of the roof it had some surface rust,light sand etc. I did not paint the shark teeth/adhesive area for the headliner, was afraid it may bleed through.It wasn't bad anyway. Had to use my old roof bow clips A light media blast and paint with new rubber washers and stainless screws. Those clips are nowhere to be had. Mark
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Nice work Mark, just in case, l have headliner bows from my parts car.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

I have found A good for rubber/tubing for making the front and rear lower trim gaskets. It is very flexible, compresses nicely, easy to cut, seals excellent.I was looking at thick wall vacuum hose and came across this. It is sold by the foot for $2.99 I got A couple of feet and is more than I but will have other uses I am sure. Like I said very flexable/stretchy,not hard and fits over the 10/24 thread nicely with A little spray of soapy water. I got it from House of Scuba.com it is called bulk latex and comes in black. The item # is ACC395HA94BLK . It is 1/2 O.D 1/8 I.D. I got the windshield trim done, the grill trim and wipers back on and am going to put the hood back on.Just thought I would share that about that product it worked very well. Also used some more tight putty to keep the clips from sliding in the trim channel and line up with the holes. Mark
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Neat trick, Mark! I'm not finding it on their website, though - either by browsing the hoses, or searching for that part number. How the heck did you come across it?!

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; I got it on through amazon while doing searches for vacuum tubing.I will check to see if there is A phone # on the invoice when I get home from work. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; the phone # for house of scuba is (858)-581-2800 San Diego Calif. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Used Xmat from eastwood. Thought I would try it.Anybody else done it before. It does make it sound dead. I tried to use the scrap pieces and get it inside the corners but I don't think that is that neccesary.I am going for sound more so than insulation. Going to do the floor later and if any left over pieces it will go in the trunk. XMAT from Eastwood#15841. My face did not even get dirty!!!!!!!! Mark
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
leave it to beaver background 60 polara matador.jpg
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Veeeeeeeeeery nice. How many timers did it take, Mark?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Good stuff, l used it in Charlene and Bertha Irene.
Dick
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

It took 2 Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Well I am making A stab at the vinder schliders. Useing 3m weather strip adhesive.The window channel I got from gary goers is narrower and I can not find wider ones.I used tywraps and shimmed it with pieces of A paint stick to center it after I glued it. Later I will use either screws or possibly 2 holes and thin wire to secure them further. The right and left rear doors have different window channel, both are very old but one is wider (the correct one) more indication of some kind of accident very early in it's life(hence the window stop was missing as well, and the windlace on the right side does not match the left, and was "stuffed" in).When I get out of my chair you can see what happens my cat takes over,always involved in everything I do and is like my shadow. He was A throw away, I picked him off the road tossed out as A kitten I thought he was dead. That was 11 yrs. ago, I would not trade him for anything (my buddy).On another note this is for DAN.My Buick came from Philadelphia 6 yrs. ago.I understand you are from Philly. All original originally purchased from Kutner Buick. The badge is still on the back of the car. The original owner name was Thomas Demi 4286 Penn st. Kutner Buick was on Castor and Friendship st. It was the 3rd largest Buick dealer in Pa.I think they went out in 98 and moved to L.A. and became King Buick. They originated at the Philly dealership in 1948. The Buick was built at the Wilmington Del. plant which closed in 2008 and was building Pontiac Solstace.Just thought I would toss that out there Dan if it means something or may mean nothing. Mark
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

55 survivor wrote:On another note this is for DAN.My Buick came from Philadelphia 6 yrs. ago.I understand you are from Philly. All original originally purchased from Kutner Buick. The badge is still on the back of the car. The original owner name was Thomas Demi 4286 Penn st. Kutner Buick was on Castor and Friendship st. It was the 3rd largest Buick dealer in Pa.I think they went out in 98 and moved to L.A. and became King Buick. They originated at the Philly dealership in 1948. The Buick was built at the Wilmington Del. plant which closed in 2008 and was building Pontiac Solstace.Just thought I would toss that out there Dan if it means something or may mean nothing. Mark
Mark, I remember the dealership well! It was actually at the intersection of Castor and Cottman Avenue in "The Great Northeast" (Northeast Philly). Friendship Street is a bit further down on Castor; perhaps parts or service was there? Don't remember.

Here's a fun ad from the early sixties. Hey, they don't close until 9:30 tonight - gotta get down there, I would love to pick up something at those prices... :lol:
kutner.JPG
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan: Hope you can see it . It is the original sale agreement.The dealer name is Jules Kutner, A little pricey.Thanks for the ad!! very very cool!!!!!! Mark
IMG_0017.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark, if l was to have a Govt. Motors car it would be a buick. My first car was a 40 buick. I was 16 yrs. Old and paid $80.00 for it. 4 dr sedan, two tone rust, no upholstery, no door panels, no headliner just a little straw sticking out of the springs. 3 car tires, 1 truck tire and no shocks, more often than not l had to use the emergency brake. A big hole in the floor right above the brake pedal with a constant flow of exhaust gas in the face. All four corners had coil springs and with the lever action shocks gone l would boing, boing, boing down the road. I put 80 wt. Gear oil in the shocks and after that she would corner like a porsche. Radio worked real good, the engine was strong and ran like a Swiss watch except for that constant rattle and squeel coming from under the valve covers. One paper route bought it then l got 4 more routes and with each paying around $10.00 l was pulling down around $50.00 per week. Not bad for a sophomore in high school.
Now for some serious stuff. Like you l found the cat whiskers very narrow, l used a ford whisker with a chrome bead and the correct clips l got from Gary goers. You can also try Restoration specialties
Dick