Dick Koch's convertible

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
rogerh

Re: Dick's convertible project

Post by rogerh »

I am not partial to fender skirts, but the rest the the beast looks way better than Factory Fresh!

I hear you re: computers! My humble computer is deficient in every possible way, AND uses XP Home. I simply have to replace it. It will have to be a low-cost unit...(any suggestions?) Hopefully MY pictures won't get lost...

Just bought new tires for the daily driver, so new computer will have to wait...
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Thanks Guys, It's getting there.

Roger - Re: Computers. I get the Costco Magazine and thier Computer Guru says Microsoft XP will not be serviced anymore. No Updates and No help. The New one is Microsoft 8.1.

Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Looks great Dick! You do great and quick work in comparison to me. I like the use of the nut extender for the Bumber Wings, that may help me out.

Don't forget( if not to late..) to spray some flat or low gloss black below the headlights area (above too if you can) at the front facing of the fenders so you can not see the white paint thru the grill. Just a detail point you can take it or leave it.... I picked up this point from Tom Fox's restoration on his Belvedere...

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Denver 59 Fin Convert wrote:I like the use of the nut extender for the Bumber Wings...
What's a Bumber Wing? Are we talking about pollination? :lol:
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Cross Pollination Dan! That is what we call those devices in the Electrical world...

Here is a picture of Tom Fox's blacked out area for those who wanted to know...

John Q.
5.jpg
blacked out front fender area
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Dick, I thought I had implied that I was painfully aware that WIndows XP is a depth charge. The GOOD news; starting Sunday, Best Buy will offer $100 credit to folks trading their XP computers in on a new Windows device!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Woe is me. Look like my power steering box is shot and I will have to swap it out, can't remember what it came out of, the one that was it the car when I got it was as dry as a bone so couldn't use it. Looks to be the nastiest job there is except for the lower control arm bushings. 59 Desoto to the rescue. Today I will take the PS out of the Desoto and put it in Bertha Irene. I bought the Desoto from my friend who was going to sell it for junk for $300.00 and a 56 Lincoln Mark II model that I bought at a Garage Sale for $7. It has the same power train as my 60 Desoto. I have used the Power steering Vacuum tank setup, the Variable speed WS washer system, the Power Steering Pump, various nuts, bolts and screws and now the power steering box. John Quinn got the engine bay fender braces when he visited a while back. I dread taking all the under dash steering component out but what's a guy gonna do, besides it's not like I don't know how of haven't done it for the 4th. time.
Dick
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Yep, still have the braces that I swiped from Dick during a visit to his Villa. They were suppose to go on a friends 58 Desoto Convert but he scored a pair before I could give him the ones from Dick's parts car.

I wonder how they would look on my convert? I would have to drill two holes in the cowl to add them.....Or I could give them back to Dick...But only if he visits me in Colorado!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Hold on to the braces, I'll be there but God only know when. If Yvonne won't go with me in the Convert. I'll introduce you to my new girlfriend. Not what you think, her name is Bertha Irene.

Got the PS box out of the Desoto this morning, took a couple of hours, the car is on the ground so had to jack it up and put on concrete blocks. Wasn't near as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I had removed all the stuff that normally would prevent lifting the Gear box from the top. All that stuff is in Bertha Irene now so I will have to take the Gear box out thru the big hole in the floor pan. I have one of those little Service Reference Books that says it can be done. I surley hope so.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick, Do you have a 57/58 floor in your convert with the lift our access panel? Or do you have some rust repair in the floor boards you have not gotten to....

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

You are right John - Taking the steering box out thru the floorboard has to be for 57 - 58 Plymouth. I tried taking it out from the bottom, even took out exhaust pipe but torsion bars won't allow it. Had to take out the vacuum tank and brake line from master cylinder to splitter fitting and was able to remove it from the top. Osphoed and painted the replacement and will install it this morning. Believe me it's no small task.
Dick.
big m

Post by big m »

Keeping my fingers crossed that this was the end of your troubles, Dick!!
In rust we trust!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Thanks John F. - Me too, got her all back together today and fired her up. Steering seems to be smooth as silk, on and off the ground. I didn't mess with the control valve on top at all. Went in just as it came out of the Desoto, cleaned up of course. Tomorrow will bleed the brakes again and go for a spin.
Dick.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

OK, Bertha Irene is more completer, whach'all think. Still some gap problems at the left front fender and hood. Took the 1/8" shim out but didn't make much difference. Looks like crap but don't know what else to do. Well there goes my 100 points car. Yea, as if. The only major stuff left is Upholstery, Top, Top hydraulic system and door panels (It's been a year and 4 months since I sent SMS a check). Oh! I forgot about the gazillion other little things that will pop up.
Dick.
000_0024.JPG
000_0025.JPG
000_0026.JPG
000_0027.JPG
000_0028.JPG
000_0029.JPG
000_0030.JPG
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »