DICK'S 59 RED & WHITE SPORT FURY RESTORATION.

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Dick Koch

Re: DICK'S 59 RED & WHITE SPORT FURY RESTORATION.

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Thanks for the opening. I married a mood sensitive skirt, she's on and off all the time. (just joking, ahem)
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Dick Koch wrote:JB weld is a two part epoxy that dries rock hard, it's machinable and will bond anything. I cut a small portion of the vinyl dashpad so the clip would fit a tad lower and after marking the holes and measuring precisely I place the clips into the JB weld and let set for two days. When I placed the clips over the holes they were right on and the pad snapped right in and fit snug to the dash. It's the same material I applied to the rusty area with rust holes that were under the door gasket. It layed out smooth and flat. My vent window frames are broken at the bottom rear where it connects to the upright, I plan on trying to fix that with JB Weld. I'll send pictures of that process. John Q. is the one that gave me the idea of using JB Wels. Patience and luck plays a big part.
Dick.
Thanks Dick and John Q. now I know a little more about the product. Is there more than 1 type JB Weld?
I'm Guessing that it can be used on almost any surface. Can I repair an old galvanized water can with a hole/crack in the bottom?
Ive had some kind of Hot Dog size two part expoxy sticks that you cut off and squeeze/knead together - is that the same for JB?
Thanks,
Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

JBWeld is a two -part epoxy which is sold in tubes. It is a semi-paste, much like toothpaste, i guess. Epoxy putty is useful for filling large holes and cracks, while the gooey JBweld is better for small fixes, as it will "flow" prior to curing. I am impressd he got it to stick to vinyl .
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Curt, I have heard of some amazing repaires with JB Weld (no,I am not a paid spokesman for them!) It has been used to repair tractor cracked blocks, fuel tanks. It is truly some amazing stuff.

Your other brand may work but you should be able to get the JB Weld at Lowes, Ace Hardware or any fine Automobile Shops like Pep Boys, Advance Auto etc.

Neat stuff to have around in your garage to fix anything!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Thanks Dick and Roger,

Now I know what to look for next trip to the auto parts store. I have projects that have been waiting for repair - and this may be the answer.

Thanks,
Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

When you get to the store you'll have to decide if you want the "quick weld" or the standard "24 hr cure" weld. Guess the standard is best for those with normal patience!!
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Steve Storey wrote:When you get to the store you'll have to decide if you want the "quick weld" or the standard "24 hr cure" weld. Guess the standard is best for those with normal patience!!
Ok I hear you, I will be looking for the quick weld on my next trip :lol:
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Arrrrrrrrgg! Finally got the Guts back in the doors. What a nightmare, but I got it down pat now. You got to follow the correct sequence or everything gets to be done twice or more. The first door took almost 5 hrs. the second door took 45 minutes.
1. Install the lock.
2. Install the door lock mechanism with long actuating rod attached.
3. Install the lock actuator between the lock (square hole) into the lock mechanish (round hole).
4. Install the rear glass run chanell.
5. Install the window regulator.
6. Install the vent window half way. (the JB weld didn't hold) but after installed it won't move.
7. Insert the window without the X actuators from the top.
8. Install the X actuators from the bottom thru the holes in the bottom of the door.
9. Slide the window into the glass run channels and the vent window down at the same time.
Make sure you oil and white grease everthing real good.
GOOD LUCK.

The window were very hard to roll up and down so I loosened all the places where you adjust it, rolled them up and down several times and they loosened up quite a bit but are still pretty tight. I think it's because of the new glass runs, it should loosen up though.
The drivers side rear window was digging into the rubber weather stripping so I used silicone grease and finally got it all the way up with the intention of adjusting it later. The window was up for a couple of weeks and adjusted itself somehow, now it rolls up and down as easily as the other one.

I found a steering wheel horn ring with a blue pad on ebay a couple of years ago in excellent shape. The pad on the one I had was split all over the place. I cleaned it up replaced the foam, painted the pad the same red as the dash pad with Sims vinyl paint and it turned out pretty good. I also painted the lettering red.

I don't remember if I told you guys that I adjusted the doors and drilled them so I wouldn't have to do it again after painting, FORGETABOUTIT, with three of us trying we could not get the hinge and backing plates to line up so we could insert the guide pins so we ended up adjusting them by hand again but it didn't turn out as good as the first time.

When I went to install the stainless on the doors the spring clips I had were not long enought to snap into the holes. I ended up using the universal type clips with the little wire on them with a thread and nut. Was able to get nuts on all of them except the one on the end at the rear of the door. Could not get my fat arm into the closest hole so I recruited my 8 year old grandson with a skinny arm to put the nut on and tighten it. So I can alway say my grandson helped with the restoration.

Will have the AC installed next week hopefully, Install the rest of the upholstery and grill then do some fine tuning and get that baby back on the road. Can't wait.
Dick.
100_0153.JPG
100_0155.JPG
100_0156.JPG
100_0168.JPG
100_0169.JPG
100_0172.JPG
100_0180.JPG
100_0183.JPG
100_0227.JPG
SPECIAL END PIECE FROM GARY GOERS
100_0228.JPG
100_0232.JPG
100_0237.JPG
100_0238.JPG
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Outstanding Dick! Using a 8 year old was a stroke of genius! I gotta get me one or two for the next time I install door trim or window glass! :lol:

I will put on my wish list for Christmas for any grandchild (or neighbor child) to help. Maybe they can finish my car while I am at Work!!! :o

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Not a bad Idea, somebody's gotta finish it. JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick, you did a good job in splicing in the end door gasket piece (with retaining screw) into the rest of the door rubber. Still have to do this little part yet. :oops:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Thanks, I used 3M black weatherstripping adhesive. Put on both ends let set for a couple of minutes and Walla, it's done.
Dick
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

YEAAAAAA!!!! It's done. Just in time for John Q's visit. Here are the last pictures. Haven't been to a show yet, it's been raining all day. Now, where is that convertible.
Dick
100_0240.JPG
100_0241.JPG
I KNOW THE KICK PANEL IS BLACK AND IT'S STAYING BLACK.
100_0250.JPG
100_0252.JPG
100_0257.JPG
100_0258.JPG
100_0260.JPG
100_0262.JPG
100_0264.JPG
100_0265.JPG
100_0266.JPG
Denver 59 Fin Convert

I am running out of superlative comments for your outstanding work Dick! ( I can't wait to pick it apart when I get there! :lol: )

Naw, I will be taking a lot of pictures to help me detail like your cars are detailed. See you soon!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Your Jiffy Jet bag is not hooked at the third hanger....har har
This is a stunning and exquisite restoration, done to owner's tastes and specifications. Unique and gorgeous.
Were I in your shoes, I'd be done for quite awhile, after Greenie and now Big Red, but you yourself spoke of the convertible-on-deck!
Pace yourself, Dick! :lol: