Colorado Belvedere Convertible progressing

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
RICKYMOPAR

Re: Colorado Belvedere Convertible progressing

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

It's alive and happy. I saved some pix.

dual AFB.jpg
Quinn Family 59 Belvedere convertible.jpg
59 belvedere dual quad Ft. Collins.jpg

The dual fours run fine.
Last edited by RICKYMOPAR on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

What a beauty!
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Thanks Rick Clapham for posting the pictures of the new addition to my convert. Rick rebuilt the carbs and fine tuned the carbs last Saturday after we went to a car show and the engine would die at stop lights, A few mins. tinkering with them got them in sync and running smoothly.

Now I am doing a variation of a theme of Tom Fox who put a Long ram on his car, I went to the dual quad 413RB that the 59 Chrysler 300E had, which is the inline duals not the 1960 issued Long Rams Intake.

Rick even has some correct 300E heads that I will buy off of him and install to make it even more of a 300E powered Belvedere Convert.

Very pleased with the even better performance out of the 413 RB big Block.

John Q.
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Nice John, as you know l installed dual fours on Charlene's 318 Poly. I am having trouble with shift points and kick down. I have a progressive linkage setup that needs adjustment or a different setup. Some detailed pictures of your linkage or suggestions may be helpful.
Thanks,
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick, I used the linkage from Summit Racing online site, so it is not Mopar Original but is supposed to fit a Hemi RB block. So it is a natural fit for this setup.

I will take some pics of my setup for you. But Rick Clapham may have better technical answers to your questions. One thing Rick did to my setup was to make sure the front carb is set up at Idle so it is always delivery fuel to the engine while the back carb is running for normal operations. He says by doing that way the front carbs fuel never goes stagnant in the Fuel bowl when it is called upon to open up.

We did not play with the kick down linkage as it seems to be set right.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

My front carb is always at idle. The 318 with the distributor In the rear makes it difficult to adjust the advance because the advance chamber hits the rear carburetor. I turned the distributor. 180 degrees so I could adjust the advance but now it interfere with the throttle rod from the carb to the bell crank lever. With the Chrysler electronic ignition set the way it is now l don't need or use the vacuume advance. My plan. Is to return the distributor to where its supposed to be and readjust all the throttle and kick down rods. Wish me luck. Don't forget the pitchuhs.
Thanks,
Dick
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

The vacuum advance is connected to the rear carb. John Quinn's is not connected yet... It does help with fuel economy, drivability.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Rick is my spokesperson when I am unavailable...plus he knows way more then I ever could! :P :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Rick - My friend and mopar guru, if l remember correctly set the timing with the dwell set at 38 on the timing light, the engine running at 2500 rpm and the timing mark on zero. Then covered the vacuume ports on the carb. And advance chamber. Comment.
Dick.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Plymouth specs.jpg

Dick, With the dual point distributor dwell can be checked with engine running and 38 degrees dwell is good. Engine is timed at idle, and also checked at an advanced RPM. I can list John's specs, or yours I need your distributor number Like for example IBS4003H.Timing procedure is tested with vacuum advance disconnected and plugged carb side. I check the vacuum advance timing change with a hand held vacuum pump with gauge, as well as check the venturi-ported vacuum.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Thanks for your reply, l installed Chrysler Electronic Ignition using a 1973 Duster 340 distributor (same spring tension as a 318 distributor) and a GM modulator, 12 Volt start, 12 Volt run, eliminating the ballast resistor with a hotter spark and a 12 Volt black epoxy filled coil. We also used a rpm and vacuume gauge to set timing and idle.. your thoughts?
Dick
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

I remember your changeover ... I guess what threw me was your 38 degree dwell. Thats why I included the tune chart. Events should still be checked to try to keep them parallel. Your later distributor has an adjustable vacuum advance.
CAM00819.jpg
Denver 59 Fin Convert

I guess my story is and never ending story as is most of our M series cars is.

This weekend I upgraded to a good used set of 15" Silvertowns wider whites from my 14" Port-a -Wall versions.
I painted up some 15" roller wheels with an Orange/Red paint (sorry no argent at the moment) and had the tires and wheel combination installed by my son and I this past Saturday, as the weather was cooperating for a bit.

The hubcaps are from a 59 Chrysler Imperial and add a bit of style to the car. I do have the original set of 59 Plymouth caps to use at car shows and with the help of some 15"trim rings that are inbound to me, I can use those trim rings to install the 14"Hubcaps (learned this trick from a Forward Look member in Switzerland on his 59 Dodge) So I can use a variety of caps depending on the show I would be attending.

John Q.
IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG
59 Imperial Gear faced Hubcaps
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Mopar Ricky (Rick Clapham) came bye as my front carb had some dirt in the fuel bowl that caused it to overflow and in a jiffy, Rick had the problem solved. Rick also said of the new wheel color and the Turquoise paint of the car it is now the "one of none" Taos, NM "Desert Southwest" look.

But I think that it will be alway be "Fraulein Blu-Car" to Rick!

Thanks for the service call Rick!! :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Wow, John. Lookin' good! One of those very rare Belvedere convertibles, much more rare that Sport Fury convertibles - you know, like Matthew's! :P

I thought about painting my wheels copper, to match the body when I get Faulkner repainted (see this post). But the aforementioned young'in is trying to talk me out of it - says I should go with argent. What say ye?
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"