repaint!

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Matthew Keij

Re: repaint!

Post by Matthew Keij »

A lot happened lately!

I fixed the power brakes, there was a vacuum leak where the 3 hoses got together.
Replaced the vacuum tank with a tank with 2 connections and replaced the hoses.
Still need to make pics.
I switched the front plate of the brake booster as mine was a lot better.

IMG014.jpg
On the left the one that was on the booster, on the right my freshly painted one
IMG047.jpg
Got the seat back in and this is the result with the carpet
IMG_0001.jpg
And finally we got our taillights back! New chrome on them make them a lot better looking.
Had to paint the inside of the housing silver. 1 done
IMG_0002.jpg
Beauty pic
IMG_0004.jpg
And got them all back together. Still need to have the light bulb sockets but we ordered them today. Also need to install the gasket but will do that when the bulbs go in. I cleaned the reflectors and putted in new lenses to finish it.
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Matthew,
Are you buying your lightbulb sockets thru Dan Morton?
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

We found them on e-bay
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

What's on the Wish List for repairs this year?
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

We have a short list now:
we do need a new glass for the mirror-matic we have, case is excellent but the glass has some blemishes
new interior (this winter)
new set of points, I still have the same points in the car. Bought it in 2001 and drove about 3-4000 miles per year with it. Not a bad score I guess.

Other than that I don't know what else we can do................................. but things will come up for sure.

And then we have Andre's car, we want to get his car running as well as mine. He wants to try a new carb on it as we both believe that the problem comes from the carb. If anyone has a good 4bbl for a 59 383 engine for sale please let me know.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Ron,
What a coincidence..I have a Carter 4 bbl carb, orignally from a 1959 Chrysler Saratoga 383. It needs a general rebuild, but it is not stuck or broken, as far as I can tell.
I could have it rebuilt here, then ship to you. I will email you pix, as I am still too stubborn /lazy to learn how to post pics on this Forum.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Roger, thanks for the offer!! I will call Andre this weekend and ask him what he wants, he can see the pictures in this topic:
PICT0002.jpg
PICT0004.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Matthew - I'm going to pick up my bumpers today and bringing the tailights to get a price on rechroming. I'm assuming you have to remove all the sockets etc. How difficult is it to remove them and what was your cost in dollars in haveing yours rechromed if you don't mind sharing. I'm assuming it's quite expensive. Really can't wait for you to get here, I have a nice old quilt right next to the lift post where you will be chained. Oh, I greased the chain so you won't have any chafing, so you should be quite comfortable.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Dick, if you remove the lenses you can see a little lip. That is the lip holding the socket into the housing.
You can try to bend them up to get the socket out. I tookma hammer and gave the sockets some taps to the side so the lip bend a little bit. Then I did the rest with a screwdriver.
Be very careful with the hammer! I tried it on an old housing first. If you do it too much/hard the housing can crack!
Do you have replacement sockets?
It was around $500 for both of them to rechrome.

I'll be fine with that. As long as there are some drinks and food I'll be ok :lol:
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Matthew Keij wrote:It was around $500 for both of them to rechrome.
Dick, I know better as I paid for it.... the total cost of rechroming the taillights was € 200. But we discovered that one of the parts had a crack after we got it back so I sent out another bezel and that cost another € 50. With the current USD/Euro rate that is about $350.

Ron
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

It was €300 :mrgreen:
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Matthew/Ron - Just got back from picking up my Show Quality Bumpers $500 Rear, $550 Front, Wings $140 each, Guards $75 each. Not cheap but the Best Reputation around. They came out wonderfully. The price they gave me on the Taillight is: $75 for side extensions, $100 for Bezels, $180 for main housing. Total $355 a side. They have no deep pitting, just pin prick spots but a lot of them. I asked about taking the sockets out and he said all I had to do was cut the wires take the guts out and leave the metal parts of the socket in the housing. After plating all I have to do is insert the contacts and solder the wires back together. Sounds like a plan to me. Don't you wish you had thought of that. heh, heh. I figure the price is pretty good considering I got a price from a company in Orlando a couple of years ago that specializes in chrome plating pot metal. He wanted $800 per side.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Although good in theory, when the parts get re-plated, the sockets also get a coating, and now the bulbs won't fit. Best to rip the sockets out now, get a thorough chrome job, then install new sockets. :)
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Dick, don't overdue on the quilt part...and a short chain is best! Trust me! :lol:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

[quote="Matthew Keij"]Dick, if you remove the lenses you can see a little lip. That is the lip holding the socket into the housing.

Matthew, Only some food and drink? - With all the work Dick has waiting for you - you'd better ask for a 24 buffett or at least room service!

Curt

Dick what company did you use for bumpers???

I had heard North Star was the best - not sure if they are even around any more!
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!