Vacuum advance chamber needed

Got a question? This is the place to ask
vanguy16

Vacuum advance chamber needed

Post by vanguy16 »

Hi guys,

Our vacuum advance unit on our Autolite IBP-4000-D is not working.
We have installed the Pertronix electronic kit and rebuilt the carburetor.
Noticed the vacuum advance not holding vacuum as it should.

Where the heck can I find the proper one for what I believe is counter clockwise rotation that has hole on the arm instead of a post?

Thanks!
Faulkner

Re: Vacuum advance chamber needed

Post by Faulkner »

That's odd - that P/N does not appear as an Autolite part in the 1959 MoPar Passenger Car Parts List:

IMG_0690.JPG

Here are the P/Ns for the '59 distributors from the same parts book:

distrib.jpg

These are the distributor parts for the possible distributors in your car:

vac.jpg

Of those descriptions, I'm thinking 1842 812 is the best fit - note that two of the distributors don't even have P/Ns for vacuum advance parts packages! The corresponding Chrysler P/N is 1881 929. Is that the part you want?

I... Dunno. I can't find a corresponding Autolite P/N for it.

Say - wasn't your car built in Canada? Maybe we're not looking for a 318 distributor part, but a 313 distributor part. And maybe you should be looking up that P/N in a Canadian MoPar parts book.

Dieter Bauer has a 313 Fury - perhaps we should contact him, he knows these engines inside and out. If you confirm, I'll connect you two via email.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Yes, this is the canadian Fury :wink:
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks, Matthew. "VanGuy" (hey - why don't you introduce yourself here? It would be nice to have a name), I've e-introduced you to Dieter. Let's see if he can help.
vanguy16

Post by vanguy16 »

Here is a picture of our vacuum advance.
IMG_20210301_125758.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

...and here's a possible solution to your problem.
Dieter Bauer wrote:Hi Dan
Nice to hear from you and hope all is well with you. We should have our vaccine by May so may be we will be able to get to some car events this year.
I looked up the part number for IBP-4003-D which is the distributor I have in my car and the part number for the distributor is 1841 510 and part number for the vacuum chamber is 1818 569.

Vanguy16 can email me or call [excerpted] to discuss. There are a couple of vendors that would probably have one and I have some parts here that might work, unfortunately there is no part number stamped on the part.

Regards
Dieter Bauer
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Vanguy16 (would you please tell us your name?), for what it's worth, AMS has the part:

Capture.JPG

Guaranteed to be pricey, though - AMS was formerly "Mitchell's", and Frank Mitchell was notorious for charging premium prices. It depends on how desperate you are.
vanguy16

Post by vanguy16 »

313...hmmmm. no I have searched the casting number up and came up with nothing!

We are to believe that this has a 318, but man the info is fairly difficult to find on this car.
vanguy16

Post by vanguy16 »

Oh update:

I might need the main body as.well. grrrrrrr.

Was trying to find out why the cap hinge was not working and when I thought I fixed it, I tried firing up the car and the damn distributor spun and tore and bent up the cap hinges.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The 313 is the same block as the 318; just a slightly smaller bore and/or stroke. The 313 is the Canadian version of the US 318, and since Dieter confirms your distributor and vacuum advance part number in his Canadian Parts List - which are not present in the US List - it's a sure bet you've got a 313.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

vanguy16 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm Oh update:

I might need the main body as.well. grrrrrrr.

Was trying to find out why the cap hinge was not working and when I thought I fixed it, I tried firing up the car and the damn distributor spun and tore and bent up the cap hinges.
Why do you need a whole new main body? The cap hinges slide into the housing - unless you broke the housing, you should be able to replace the hinges. If not available from a vendor, John Fowlie (Big M Automotive) ought to be able to help.
vanguy16

Post by vanguy16 »

I'm curious if a different distributor from another year will fit or can be interchanged with this engine.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Mike, your data plate is Canadian, and the P/N on your distributor is not in the US Parts List - but is, in the Canadian Parts List. This is a Canadian built car, with a 313 Poly engine in it. Few folks are going to be able to help you here with that question, but fershur there's someone who can - and you have his phone number: Dieter Bauer. He's already expressed a willingness to discuss your distributor issues. Why not give him a call? He might be able to advise regarding interchangeability.
vanguy16

Post by vanguy16 »

Thanks for all the help everyone. We ended up going totally electronic after all.