Gas Tank Replacement

Got a question? This is the place to ask
GaryBitner

Gas Tank Replacement

Post by GaryBitner »

Hey, guys. Thanks for the great tips to source brake shoes. I got them from Craig Stanley at Mobile Parts in Long Island. They're original material and make a real difference. AND NOW, the once-repaired gas tank leak has returned and is motivating me to replace the tank. Anyone have a good source? I was thinking of the Sacramento used parts dealer, but I'm checking to see if there are any better options. Thanks in advance for whatever you can share. I'm hoping to enjoy at least part of the summer with a fully-functioning '59 Belvedere. --Gary
Faulkner

Re: Gas Tank Replacement

Post by Faulkner »

Gary,

I bought my gas tank at Carlisle from Van's Auto - give them a call, they should have what you need. In addition to the tank, you'll want the replaceable rubber grommet that sits in the well where the gas filler pipe goes - they have these as well (it may come with it).

Assuming your fuel level sending unit in the tank is OK, you'll want this tool to remove and put back in - I'm happy to lend to you: viewtopic.php?p=22004#p22004

Because the replacement gas tank holds a bit more gas, and is a bit larger than your original tank, you'll need longer "J bolts" for the straps - you can read about it here: viewtopic.php?p=22007#p22007

Here's a blurb where I've got my tank back in: viewtopic.php?p=22061#p22061

You'll also want to make sure (or, your mechanic) that when the float on the sender is perched in the tank, it is close to the bottom so it properly indicates "Empty". It's not a bad thing if it tells you you're near empty, when you're not; the converse would be bad! But you can bend the float rod a bit if need be. You can spot where the float is, by peering through the inlet for the gas line. I found that I didn't need to bend mine.

Good luck! Report back. Keep safe, keep healthy.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
GaryBitner

Re: Gas Tank Replacement

Post by GaryBitner »

Great stuff, Dan. Thanks a million. I'll keep you posted.