Brake Line / Fluid

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Mark Merritt

Brake Line / Fluid

Post by Mark Merritt »

Late summer I began to have the right front brake grab (spike) with little effort to the pedal. Then I just lately noticed my right rear began to brake very little if at all when jacked up off the floor. I am going to replace the entire brake lines and change the fluid out to D.O.T. #5 AS I am currently running D.O.T. #3 . I am suspecting rust in the lines plugging the 2 junction blocks. I noticed rusty fluid when I changed the right front wheel cylinder last summer. By the way stupid me , the lines are original. Has anyone dealt with pre bent lines from Classic Tubes? They said they have my pattern and stainless as well. How does d.o.t.#5 work (synthetic) . The brakes have always worked well the last 8 years till now. I am also going to check the other wheel cylinders as well. I know some do disc conversions but I am going to keep it "old school". Thanks Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
big m

Re: Brake Line / Fluid

Post by big m »

I've changed all my cars over to DOT 5 fluid, since it's non-hygroscopic it will not attract moisture into the system like conventional fluid. You'll need to replace any rubber part of the system to avoid contamination.

I didn't use my '58 Dodge wagon for close to ten years, and when I pulled it out of the shed, the brakes still worked perfectly.

One downfall is you may have toi put a mechanical brake light switch on the pedal, as the hydraulic ones sometimes fail with the silicone fluid.

---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I haven't used the pre-bent lines, Mark - I've had someone else install them (both Faulkner and Martha), and each shop did the bends. (I supplied the lines for Martha; not sure where my mechanic friend got the lines for Faulkner).

Faulkner got his brake job around 15 years ago, not remembering exactly; he put DOT 5 in, and replaced all the cylinders. I haven't had a lick of trouble. I did have a failure with my brake light switch, but it was the terminations, not the switch itself. Watch it fail now! :o :roll:
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

I got the rear lines off. John got it right. The rear supply hose was plugged completely. probably rotted inside / cracked. The brass y fitting is ok. Also cleaned up the rear axle breather. Going to order the lines next week and post how it goes. I will go to D.O.T.# 5 when it gets back together. Starting in the rear and going forward. Can't do nothing now anyways. Avoid the virus and fix the Plymouth !!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay safe Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

I got the brake lines from Classic Tubes (pre bent and too length/6 pcs.) they where wrong and could not use them. They said the part # is for 57,58,and 59 all years the same. They are wrong, 59 is different. The rear axle breather tube location that bolts down the brass y is closer to the axle pumpkin on 57 and 58's and closer to the leaf/ driver side on 59's On the rear only that changes everything. I did not get to the front at the time I don't know if there is A difference there or not. They said they would fix what I got from them but would like me to send mine for A pattern. Too much back and forth etc.etc. etc. so I ask to return it and move on, they said ok. Last weekend I bent,cut, flared my own . I used to do that on CHOO CHOO'S they turned out great. Now all that is left is too bleed it. I have A small tubing bender and flare tool, Rigid brand. I also found the right supply hose at auto zone. Will post pics and part# later. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Do you have a bleeder kit, Mark? They have a built-in check valve and a magnet attached to the bottle, so you can hang it on the backing plate. Or at least a check valve to insert inline between the cylinder valve and the line that drips into a jar? How about a syringe with a tube, to replenish the fluid in the master? It's a b*tch to keep that filled with the brake bellows in the way.

And I'm sure I don't have to tell you, to bleed PR, DR, PF, DF in order...

Keep Safe!!
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; I will look into the check valve system. My Honda Valkyrie has them in place of the cylinder bleeders and they work great. I rigged a hose and a funnel to fill the master when I changed the front wheel cylinders before the Carlisle trip and momma pumped the brakes. I figured it was the farthest away form the master first and so on . I would like to get her out this weekend. Snowing some today and got some last Saturday. What's up with that !!! Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!