leaking differential

Got a question? This is the place to ask
GaryBitner

leaking differential

Post by GaryBitner »

Also, guys, while I've got your attention here, I've discovered a fluid leak from the differential. I'm assuming I can buy needed parts from Birnbaum and have that catalog. I'm working with a mechanic about five miles from where the car is garaged. You think I can get away with slowly driving it there for repair, or should it be towed? Apologies if this is the most stupid question you've heard today, thanks. --Gary
Faulkner

Re: leaking differential

Post by Faulkner »

Gary,

My differential was leaking from the drain plug, which had not been snugged up. But the other place where it could leak is the pinion seal, and yes, Bernbaum should have these (but so should Rock Auto, and you may end up paying less). Since there's neoprene in these, I wouldn't buy NOS - I'd go with brand new.

If it's leaking from the drain plug, it could be very low, but losing gear oil slowly. In this case, you could top it off and see if you could snug it up. I have the adapter and could send it to you. If it's leaking from the pinion, I don't think the fluid could drop to a dangerous level, and the differential is probably still getting doused - you'd be fine driving to the mechanic.

At any rate, that's my (mis)informed opinion. What do others think?
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Pinion seal is probably the one that’s leaking.

Go to rockauto and search for skf 18708. That’s the one you need
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
GaryBitner

Post by GaryBitner »

Thanks, guys. You rock (auto)!