removing the power brake bellows

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

removing the power brake bellows

Post by Faulkner »

I visited with Ed Ober today. Ed's power brake bellows has a split in it, and Ed has a NOS replacement.

There are four bolts that hold the bellows to the plate that bolts to the firewall, with the nuts behind the plate. The master cylinder also bolts to this plate, but unlike the bellows, the nuts are exposed, and the master cylinder can easily be removed.

Ed thought that perhaps, the nuts on the bellows bolts could be removed from under the dash - but, no such luck. I think I could perhaps feel the top nut, but it was inaccessible - and the other three are hidden between the plate and the firewall:

IMG_5872.JPG

So it would seem that the only way to remove the bellows, is to first remove the plate from the firewall. However, that sucker is glued on there! Perhaps to keep water from leaking into the passenger compartment? Ed removed the plate bolts and tried to pry the plate off, to no avail.

IMG_5876.JPG
IMG_5875.JPG

I'm thinking, we're going to have to put a little heat on the plate, and try to wedge shims between it and the the firewall when the caulk softens up. But before we go there...

What about disassembling the bellows unit? What seals the rubber to the rear plate, is it possible to reassemble in place?
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Re: removing the power brake bellows

Post by Faulkner »

Wow, no comments?

No way to remove the bellows in place? What about the idea of heating the plate to soften the seal?
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Re: removing the power brake bellows

Post by Matthew Keij »

I was a bit busy :mrgreen:

No way you can get the booster out with the plate still on the car. Heat it up with a hair dryer, that might work!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”