Trans in PARK

Got a question? This is the place to ask
PlumGr8SRT8

Trans in PARK

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

So, just doing some more searching, and i noticed the trans buttons don't have a button for PARK. But have a little tab next to the parking brake? So, my question is, the Fury i am looking into getting has a different trans, not sure which one, all i know is that it was rebuilt to handle the high HP from the 440. When they did that, they installed a floor shifter, which i would ideally like to remove and go back to the dash push buttons. I saw one post about what one person did to make it work, but are there any other options on how to make the Park function work? If i was going to guess, i would think the trans is a built 727, but not positive, but as the car use to be drag raced, i am thinking thats a safe guess. So, just wondering what options i may have. I REALLY wish there was a setup with a P,R,N,D buttons but guessing that may be harder, so just looking for input, thanks
william0431

Re: Trans in PARK

Post by william0431 »

Hi, I am so glad some one picked up that SF. It had been listed for a while. Such a cool car. I would love to know more about its history. bet it's got some stories. I would bet it is a 727 behind that dick Landy create motor.

As far as adapting park there are ways. There is a thread in here some where I have seen where they put a lever on the kick panel similar to the park lever that was used on the later push button shifters to engage Park.

Your best bet is to use imperial services conversion cable to use your stock push button set up along with converting the parking brakes in the rear connected to your stock ebrake handle. The original TF did not have Park. It had a parking brake at the end of the trans tail shaft just before the drive shift. Using your ebrake as your parking brake works just fine. Stronger than a trans parking sprag.

Rembering the ad for your SF I belive you already have an 8.75 rear with big drag tires. Wonder what grears are in there, if it has rear brakes at all and if your trans is set up as a drag car w/ a reverse valve body? If some one paid the cash for that DLI (Dick Landy Industries) crate motor I'm sure they had the cash to put top of the line drag parts behind it.

Wonder when it was built, that DLI motor looks like a mid 70s? Also wonder why they would build a big ol' 59 Sport Fury as a drag car? so many questions haha. But I'd say dial in the rear brakes, connect to the ebrake handle and use imperial services or A&Atransmission's push button conversion cable to operate the trans. Same plan I'm doing on my 59 Savoy and 59 SF.
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Haha, yea thats the one i am working on getting. I am away for work for a couple months, but the guy has been really helpful with getting the deal done. It's kind of hard to find one of these cars 57-59, that isn't already restored, or restored like Christine. I would have felt terrible taking one of those cars and making it my own, don't feel as bad taking a project car and doing the same. My buddy called and talked to the guy, so between that and the pics he posted it does look to be in relatively good shape.

Yea that 440 is like the main reason for his price, and after doing some looking around i guess it makes sense why. I asked for some details about the trans, he didn't have any at the time. The only thing he shared was that when they first when to race it, the stock tran blew up behind the DLI motor, and they had to rebuilt to handle the power. I have no idea if its reverse valve body or any of that. I am hoping its just a built 727, as i would like to add the OD kit to it for highway cruising, also have zero idea what gears are in it may need to re-gear it as well.

So, basically you're saying forget trying to work out a way to use the 727 park sprag and rely on the parking brakes for park? What is the "imperial services or A&Atransission conversion cable? Sorry, still getting new to this area.

I do plan on converting the drums to power disc brakes all around. One of the first projects i'll be doing.

Thanks for the reply, and appreciate any and all info i can get
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Imperial services carry (or at least used to carry) a cable that would convert the original 57-59 pushbutton shifter to any later model 727 style transmission.

http://www.imperialservices.net/Cparts.html.

But the work around for "park" is to just put it in natural and use the parking brakes on a later model rear end. I was just looking the imp services Web site other day and site says it's not avaliable at this time.

Another vendor I have seen but never heard any reviews of is from a&a transmission. P/N AA351

http://www.aandatrans.com/Products/Push ... AA351.aspx

Originally they never had Park brakes in the rear end and no are sprag in the trans. "park" was a drum brake on the end of the trans tail shaft. So by using the rear end is basically the same as what they were from the factory if not better. Was not till later when the aluminum 727s came out that they got a park sprag in trans. Seeing how you don't have the original rear end any way might as well do it that way. Willing to bet it's probably already set up as a park brake so it could pass tech inspection.

If you are looking to put over drive there are the gear vendors bolt on over drive units but they are super pricey and require working a toggle switch to activate OD and have a ratio of .78:1 Considering the price ( 7 or 8 hundred used to 1500 if not more for a new one) not much OD bang for your buck plus I don't want to have to flip switches every time I speed up and slow down.

I am planning on running an A518, it's the exact same as a 727 but with OD and converter lock up. So it is a 3spd 727 with essentially a 4th gear OD that is .69:1 and the converter lock up will greatly reduce trans heat at high way crusing when in od and greatly extend the life of the trans. Not to mention you can pull them from just about any pick n pull yard. Most early 90s light dodge trucks and vans for 50 bucks a core, and a rebuild for them are almost dirt cheap. it will hold that 440 ok as long as you don't plan on doing any hard racing haha but if you do just pay the extra couple hundred for a beefier rebuild. Only catch is you have to plumb in a hydraulic controller/actuator switch to auto engage the Od and LU. Not hard to do, there are kits out there to do it. With the Od you can run decent gears in the back for stop light starts and very decent high way speed/rpm for as good as your going to get mpg with a 440 and not have to mess with any toggle switches it will function just like a normal od trans.

That DLI motor is cool! I have seen only a few of them still running around, most got used for what they were intended for and paid the price haha. Hope yours is still in good shape. They came from DLI dyno tuned witch was a super big deal back then. And yea way to many Christines out there. It's nice to see a 58 in red and all but I love all the pastel colors that made the 50s different. So many awesome colors. My Sport fury is Originally emerald green. I looked for years to find one that color!

For disks there are a number of ways but that might need to be a thread of its own haha. There are a number of different methods using after market and original later model mopar parts
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Hmmm, so much info in that response haha. So, i guess for the time being i will try and get it going with the 727, hoping the gearing isn't too bad that i can't drive it on the highway without screaming at redline. I guess a future upgrade will be getting a built 518 to put behind the 440. You mentioned you have to plumb for the OD? I thought that was all internal do the trans?

So, now i wonder if i will be able to get the push buttons to work with the 727. I'd really like to get then going and get the floor shifter out of there. Maybe i'll look into the one site you posted that had cables to make it work?

And as for park, so essentially you are saying to just put it in neutral and use the parking brake. Easy enough for now. Given its modded i would also think the parking brake has been made to work with the rear. I already have a disc brake kit ready to purchase, i actually plan to upgrade to discs all around, so that should work well for the parking break situation.

I wish i knew specs on that DLI 440. How lopey, how streetable is it etc. Given the car is pretty solid and intact, i would assume it wasn't drag raced that often. If it was, i would think it would have been gutted etc. So, hopefully just a badass engine in a cool car. Just wish i knew a way to get some specs no it without tearing it apart.

My main goal is in the end just a badass cruiser. I do what to increase the handling, but haven't seen too much info on how to do that yet, and have some power with the right gears etc that if i want to cruise it cruises but when i wanna punch it or burn off time tires that it responds accordingly.
william0431

Post by william0431 »

For an A518 the OD is usually controlled by the computer, to swap it in to an older vehicle you just have to connect in a hydraulic pressure switch to activate the OD and lock up. Basically instead of the computer activating the OD and LU the hydraulic pressure switch starts it. For any one interested in this conversion PATC sells a kit to do it, or you can go to NAPA and buy all these parts much cheaper. Here is a link to the PATC kit and much more detailed directions/info on how to do it.

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/pat ... g-diagram/

Be sure and start a thread on your brake conversion, just to document it for others to fallow. I am really interested to hear how it works out.

I am planning on building my 59 Savoy 2drSdn to be my Daily driver/commute vehicle. So good brakes and a solid high way friendly OD trans and gears are top on my priority for it.

I agree, if it was a full on race car they would of gutted the interior.

There is a guy on Facebook who just started a business re-stamping sheet metal for forward look MoPars. He is advertising floor pans and stamps them in 18 gauge. might be a good source for your floor pans. The business is Real Steel Replacements.
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Hmmm, i will have to look into it. Looks like there will be a few ways i can go about it, but i have some time before i get to that point, but since i do a good amount of highway driving, it will def be on my list.

I will try and do a good how-to. Honestly, i don't always haha. I get in my groove and just work, but in a couple months when i get there i will do my best. I hope to get the brakes done over a couple days but we shall see.

Do you have the guys name on FB? I came across a site that has floor pans stamped from 18 gauge, don't know if they are from the same guy? Just curious if he plans to do other replacements, can't hurt to ask him
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Awesome thanks