59 Sport Fury cloth

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Ron Keij

59 Sport Fury cloth

Post by Ron Keij »

Hope someone can help me out on this one, I can buy some good upholstery fabric for my Sport Fury but I really don't know how many yards (or meters) I need. Can anyone tell me how much I need for a complete interior (swivel seats, bench and door panels). Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
Ron Keij
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Faulkner

Re: 59 Sport Fury cloth

Post by Faulkner »

Sorry Ron - no help from me :( I searched the Forum - plenty of comments about SMS, and price per yard, but no mention of how many yards! Perhaps when Dick wakes up tomorrow, he'll check in and weigh in.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

I would even go with estimated guesses. My skills are non existent when it comes to measuring cloth, we have bamboo furniture we had upholstered but we bought the fabric ourselves in Hawaii. When it was done we had more than half of it left :?

Ron
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Ron, I believe I saw the message traffic you were in on Facebook of the guy offering the SF material( 58 Fury & blue and red 59SF). $65 a yard Sounds like a good deal. Much cheaper than SMS and the other sources I have found. I am thinking of purchasing some of the blue SF material from him but I am debating on getting a small amount to use as a custom insert on my 59 Savoy's door panels and seats if i decide to go that route. As for your question, I have been emailing SMS about purchasing the correct SF door panels and Seats in green to go on my Emerald green SF. This is the response I received back from them.

"I have both the cloth and the vinyl. You will need about 5 1/2 of the cloth to do the seats and the doors. Another 7-8 yards of the vinyl to do the seats/doors/dash. Some of that vinyl needs to be white as you can see in the picture.

Doug"

I am not good at estimating these things either so your guess is as good as mine if this is correct but SMS has been doing this for a long time so they are more then likely correct. But to be safe, Dick does 5 1/2 yards sound about right to you?
P1010025.JPG
9914.jpg
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Thanks for the reply William, this is what I needed to hear! Matthew estimated yesterday that it was about 5 1/2 but we wanted confirmation before purchasing. And we will order a bit more than we need, it is easier to store a little left over than to find the same cloth when a mistake is made :wink:

The price seems fair and I have only once seen someone selling this (might be the same guy) at Carlisle. But that was about 8 or 9 years ago.
If you need the blue and can find someone to make the door panels for you, I can get you the measurements. And I even have a full scale paper template for it that was sent to me by Dan Harris. We were ready for the upholstery job when we bought our convertible and finances made me wait for a while.

Thanks again,
Ron
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Ron, glad the info was useful. Thank you for the offer of the templates, my emerald green 59 SF that still has its original but sadly destroyed interior (it spent about 40 years sitting in the desert sun). She is getting a full frame off resto when I finish my over seas tour. Wish that guy had a few rolls of the green material. I would jump on them in a heart beat.

If this guy does not come through with the red, let me know. I know of a guy up in MN who had a whole roll of the red a year ago but has since then sold off both his Plymouth project cars but he may still have the material or know who he sold it too. Just in case you need a back up supplier.

Cant wait to see how your interior turns out :D
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

I would guess 5.5 yard would be correct being the material is directional. There will be some waste.