What to do about my radiator

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

What to do about my radiator

Post by Faulkner »

A decade ago, I had my radiator cleaned and overhauled - but its showing its age. Plus, it's got a nice dent it the top. So, what should I do?

1) Get the radiator overhauled again - maybe, this time with a recore, and take my chances on them taking out the dent to my satisfaction?

2) Buy a junk radiator, and get it re-cored?

3) Buy a repro?

I've been looking around for (3), and not having much luck. U.S. Radiator is interested in adding a '59 Fury to their catalog, for $500 + shipping they'll reproduce mine. Here's one of their products:
042076_fv.jpg
Are there other years that interchange with a '59 318ci with Torqueflite?
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
RICKYMOPAR

Re: What to do about my radiator

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Dan, If your tanks and straps are in good shape.. I would just have it re-cored. The last one I had cored with a two row and it had 5/8 inch tubes. I had no problems after. I did have to remove a big dent from the top tank. I was able to retain the original look, no one notices. I learned the two row core from my radiator guy. First tried in my old air-conditioned pick-up, and no cooling problems afterwards. Old radiator shops are also disappearing around here. EPA? Employment prevention Agency, My guy shut down his shop, going to work for the transportation district....Too bad.
big m

Post by big m »

I'll second that. We have a local shop here that has done ten or so re-cores for me and my customers, never a problem, and solves many troublesome overheating issues.

No cheap, last one I had done was close to $500. With the top tank off, it's simple to remove the dent, as brass is a more malleable metal than steel.

---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks gents! I'll take your advice. There's a local gearhead forum, I'll check that for references.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"