Power steering, heater valves

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

Power steering, heater valves

Post by Faulkner »

I took a call this evening from Mike Schaefer, a fellow with a '59 in Kansas City, Missouri. Mike says he's a member of the Forum, but I don't know his username - he contacted me through the Plymouth Owners Club as the '59 Tech Advisor (that would be all of you).

Mike has a 6 cylinder Plymouth, and has two questions:

1) Was power steering ever an option for the 230 in '59 - or in any year, for that matter? He says the car is hard to steer in parking lots, and would like to retro-fit, if possible. John Fowlie, any help here?

2) He had his heater core rebuilt, and he says the heater works well - but the control valve leaks. He sees units on eBay for other years, and wonders what other models and years might work in his '59.

I mentioned that they can be rebuilt, and I even seem to remember John Quinn posting a tip sheet on how to rebuild them - but I can't find it at the moment. Anyone know where it is on the site?

Thanks
Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Re: Power steering, heater valves

Post by Faulkner »

Ah! Found the post with the pdf, here.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; I had A fellow rebuild my heater valve. My tubes were bent, stuck valve, leaked, you name it, it should have been trashed. I sent it to Joe Hudacek www.heatervalves.net 6606 Banks Ave Superior Wi. (715 392-6169) Quick turn around, looked and functions like new. No problems what so ever. I can't remember the price but it was good, around the same as something used. I know they can be rebuilt fairly easily maybe parts from NAPA stores, but I sent this guy what I would call junk!! As far as power steering I don't kow if it was an option but I don't see why one could not be installed. Pump,pulley,box,brackets,etc.etc. My Buick has no power steering as well. It is not super difficult to park just the nature of the beast. I like driving them the why they were. It's just me, just some thoughts, Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks, Mark. I'll pass that on. This site suggests that the control valve for 1959 was different than for other years, but was the same across all 1959 models.

Regarding power steering: The "Plymouth Value Story for '59" says that a V8 is required for some options (e.g., instantaneous gas heater), but there's no such disclaimer for power steering. This suggests to me that it might have been available for the flathead 230.

Big M, any 6 cylinder power steering rigs in your yard?

1.png
2.png
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

At Thomas Transfer trucking, Now sold to Burlington Northern. They had a 1959 Dodge yard hostler that was powered by an old L head. that used the old truck slave cylinder system. I think it used a Federal pump. Might be a source for brackets and pump system. The steering boxes are around for the passenger cars. I would go check with the old truck wrecking yards here if someone is serious.
big m

Post by big m »

I rebuild heater valves for the price of $100 if anyone needs that service.

The only direct interchange to fit power steering is '57-'59 Chrysler products, although Imperial may use a different column. The early '58 to '59 units are preferable to the '57 units. '57 are aluminum, '58-9 are cast iron.

He will need the pump and brackets that match his engine, crankshaft drive pulley for the same, hoses, steering gear, column and stub shaft, and horn contact on steering wheel.

---John
In rust we trust!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I used the power steering gear box from my 59 Desoto parts car in my 59 Plymouth Convertible, works perfectly. Rebuilt power steering boxes can be had from Rock Auto with exchange.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.