Fuel tank sending units off

Got a question? This is the place to ask
eroomas

Fuel tank sending units off

Post by eroomas »

I just replaced the fuel tank sending unit, when I turn the ignition on the gauge read 1/4 tank. Im pretty sure we got all the gas out of the tank, might be some but a 1/4 tanks doesn't seem right. It does read full when I filled the tank. When I got bought the car the seller just installed an after market one size fits all 57 thru 59 mopar tank. could that be the culprit? can this be adjusted by bending the arm of the float? Also some what unrelated the fill tube sticks out about 1/4" to far making it so that the gas lid can't close all the way. :x I assume that that is also because of the after market tank. has any of you guys dealt with this problem? I would sure appreciate any advise. Thanks in advance guys
Dick Koch

Re: Fuel tank sending units off

Post by Dick Koch »

The fill tube has an o ring on the tank end and has to be seated in the tank for a good seal. Use a short piece os 2 X 4 and give it a good whack to make sure it's seated properly. If that doesn't help loosen the two straps that hold the tank in and see if you can move the tank toward the passenger side making sure the fill tube is not hitting the outer tube opening in the trunk floor. As how to adjust the sending unit arm l could use help on that one myself. If you have to take the tank out of the car don't try to take it out by yourself like l did. Get someone to help you, l thought my tank was empty and spilled gas all over the place. I was lucky it didn't ignite.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Some of these aftermarket units are just worthless. Jimmy Rawa posted exhaustively about it on Facebook, including videos, but I can't find it in the archive - although he does allude to it here. Bending it might fix the problem on one end, while introducing a problem on the other end. And unless the low/high impedance of the unit matches the original, it won't report the range correctly.

Sorry I can't find the detail - you might try contacting Jimmy on Facebook.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

Thanks for your imput, I had the same thought about the impedance being different, I'll just have to know that when I get down to a half tank Id better fill up.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I think Matthew can answer that question.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Did you get it from Vans? They sell them with 25 to 100 ohms or something and they are incorrect.

You need one from 25 ohms to 220 if I remember correctly
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

I ran out of gas this past summer with a quarter tank. I am going to make sure the float actually bottoms out on the tank bottom. Hopefully the gauge will read empty at that point. If not I'll go the "try to remember" route.
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

I dropped the new tank today and found one of Van's wonderful sending units replete with the 115-13 ohm range. Guess I'll try to live with it . and keep my eyes out for a correct one. Does anyone know where to purchase the right one??
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Keep an eye on this one or contact them and ask when they will have them back in stock

http://m.ebay.com/itm/322014540800?_mwBanner=1
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Thanks Matthew! Will do.