59 Fury Power Steering Pump - can't find

Got a question? This is the place to ask
schlaaj

59 Fury Power Steering Pump - can't find

Post by schlaaj »

I visited every auto parts store in my town (5 in all) and several sights on the internet and everyone is telling me power steering pumps for the 59 Plymouth have been discontinued and no body can tell me if there is a place I can send my pump off to and have it repaired (rebuilt). Cardone is a huge supplier of rebuilt power steering pumps to auto parts distributors. Appearantly Cardone only works with Auto Parts Stores and warehouses and has no contact with
the general public. So I am between a rock and a hard place right now. Has anyone else experienced this ??? Since parts suppliers have cut pumps off from 1959 on back, does anyone know if a 1960 or above power steering pump will work on a 59 ??

Thanks,

Art Schlachter
Danville, Ky
aschlachter@roadrunner.com
Matthew Keij

Re: 59 Fury Power Steering Pump - can't find

Post by Matthew Keij »

Is it a 318 or 361? The 361's used a slightly bigger pump than a 318.

I would guess the 318 pumps used till 1962 would fit
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Art - NAPA has a rebuilt pump. Part # NSP81673, was $45.49, now #40.95 plus core I am sure. You can buy online and have shipped to you.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Everybody - Check this out, NAPA has a lot of Tech Tips with each product.

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/Genui ... 64pdf?$PDF$
schlaaj

Post by schlaaj »

Thanks Dick for the information. I was over to my NAPA store yesterday and two people looked for a pump in their books and said not available. I will try your NAPA on line and see what they say. I still would like to purchase one if possible even if I can get my present pump to work and keep as a backup. I am going to try your suggestion to raise the front wheels off the ground, start the engine and rotate the steering wheel to both extreme positions several times and see if it might be an air-lock problem.

For those who don't know about my problem - I was detailing my engine compartment in preparation for putting my 59 in the Ault Park Concours in Cincinnati, Ohio this June. I removed my power steering pump that was working good and emptied the fluid and cleaned exterior and repainted and re-installed adding fresh fluid. I started the car and noticed the steering wheel was not free-wheeling but more like manual steering. Took the car for a short spin and above 30mph the power steering was functioning as normal but at lower speeds and at idle, it was like manual steering. Not knowing what I might have done wrong, thought I would go down to the local Auto Parts store an purchase a rebuilt pump. It was then that I found out every Auto Parts
stores in my town all said the 59 Power Steering pump was obsolete and unavailable. (One viewer asked what size engine - - mine is the 318 - 4 barrel.)
schlaaj

Post by schlaaj »

I rechecked the NAPA # NSP 81673 that Dick Koch gave me and the pump was not available. Today, I jacked up the front of the 59 Fury so front tires were off floor. Started the car and proceeded to rotate the steering wheel full stroke left and right several times
with no noticeable improved difference in resistance. At one point I raised the engine idle and noticable improvement in ease of steering, as soon as I let off the gas steering became stiffer. I have been in contact with Lares Corp and they can rebuild pump for
$125. + shipping. I also re-checked the Rock Auto Site and did find they offered repair-service-only on these pumps. I will just send pump directly to Lares Corp instead of involving a 3rd party. Lares said they could repair in two weeks from the time they get the pump. So the quicker I get the pump in the mail the quicker I will get the repaired unit back. I did talk with "M" Auto Salvage in California and "John" suggested I find a parts diagram on the pump and take it apart my self. He has some experience in this area
and thought the problem is a stuck or broken relief valve in the pump causing the problem. I suspect he is right. ( "M" Auto did not have a "318" power steering pump off a 59 - wanted a spare backup) ---- A big THANK-YOU to those who offered suggestions - especially Dick Koch.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Don't give up yet, I checked NAPA on line again. They have the pump.
Dick. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Resul ... %2b2056012
schlaaj

Post by schlaaj »

I tried to purchase the pump but they insist I go through a "Membership Signup" and pay with Credit Card. I will not use a Credit Card over the internet and have relied on Pay Pal for years which works well for me. Membership Signup, terms and agreements, logins and having to use passwords is something I just don't want to get into. As bad as I would like the pump I just won't go there. My pump is on it's way to Lare's Corporation and will be there Friday. (2 week turnaround) Since NAPA doesn't want my business, I will start scouring vintage MOPAR salvage yards and buy a used pump and send it up to Lares Corp for rebuild and place it on my spare parts shelf. Lares Corp is a nice company to work with. Thanks for the "Lares" suggestion - I can now see light at the end of the tunnel on my predicament.
Jithuriel53

Post by Jithuriel53 »

Hello, It should be noted that the failure of the power steering pump can also occur in the form of a mechanical failure. This is manifested by a characteristic, rather loud ratchet or screeching sound when trying to turn in one direction or the other. Remember that any sort of power steering pump problem can have a domino effect thus causing severe damage and consequential failure of the other support elements incorporated within your steerage system, including the steering gear and oil seals. For the eradication of all power steering problems contact https://www.steeringlpsr.com/
The best team for everything witch is conecnted with steering pump's
schlaaj

Post by schlaaj »

I did exactly what I said I would do and I now have a 2nd power steering pump (again rebuilt by Lare's), setting on the shelf as a backup. I think your scare tactic of suggesting a bad pump can cause catastrophic problems with other parts of the power steering system is an extremely unlikely case of ever happening if you address the problem immediately. My power steering pump failed - I had Lare's repair the problem and it is now on my car serving me well for the past 14 months since repair was done.