electronic ignition

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

Re: electronic ignition

Post by Faulkner »

Dick - take a matchbook cover and a screwdriver, just in case.

Waiting for flight from Miami to Philly to take off. I'll prattle on about Ku-ba in a couple days.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I think I solved the problem with using the GM MODULATOR in my system. The GM one wire alternator only produces 35 to 40 amps, that is not enough current to support the system at start or idle. I replaced it with an alternator and regulator from a 73 Dodge Charger that produces 65 amps. Now the engine starts easily and idles smoothly.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Dick; Remember the GM Module likes to be mounted on a good heat sink like an aluminum plate.

I also have a spare electronic distributor if you would like it... Gratis.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Rickey - Yes, I have the modulator mounted on a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum. I gutted the regulator and have it hidden in there. Yes, I would like to have the distributor if you don't mind. Just let me know the shipping cost and I will send you reimbursement. Can you tell me what year and engine the distributor is for. I'm good on the two 318's and the 383. I need one for the 361 in my green car. It would be the same as for a 73 Charger.
Thanks,
Dick

Ship to:
Richard Koch
4951 S. Kay St.
Palm Beach Gardens, Fl. 33418
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Dick; Originally I could not find a B engine electronic distributor so I made an aluminum spacer on the lathe and a block under the clamp and ran the RB distributor, it worked fine. No one told me it couldn't be done. Now I see the spacers for sale on ebay, forty plus years later.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Dick I do not have a electronic B engine distributor at this time, but I will still send the A engine distributor. If you want it?
I have a B 361 383 non electronic iron body dual point also if you want, same low price.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Ricky - I appreciate your generous offer of the distributor but Greenie with the 361 is all original and I have decided to keep her that way. So it will not be necessary to ship the distributor to me. I have spare distributors and the parts to rebuild them.
BUT just in case, if you happen to have a pound of $50's laying around you can send them instead and I will still pay the freight.
Thanks again,
Dick.
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

I'm finally getting ready to try my luck at the hei install that dick got me started on so long ago. Got sidetracked, but am going to get the Plym out of mothballs and give it a go soon. Now if i can remember where I put that distributor???
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Steve - I found out a Chevy one wire alternator (35/40 amps) does not have enough current to support the system. I installed an alternator and regulator for a 73 Dodge Charger (65/80 amps) with no problems since.
Dick
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Thanks Dick-So noted.