New 59 Plymouth fuel tank from Vans?

Got a question? This is the place to ask
skyhawk61

New 59 Plymouth fuel tank from Vans?

Post by skyhawk61 »

Can anyone give me some specifics about the reproduction fuel tank offered by Van's Auto? Some sites list this tank as a 23 gallon unit for 57-59 Chryslers that happens to fit 59 Plymouths originally equipped with 20 gallon tanks. If you've used one, how did it fit and look on the car? I know that bigger straps will be required for this unit. Thanks. Dennis
Guy

Re: New 59 Plymouth fuel tank from Vans?

Post by Guy »

Hi Dennis I bought one of these tanks along with the bigger straps and had it shipped to the UK. I didn't fit the tank myself but the mechanics that did the work didn't have any issues with the fitting. If you can wait a couple more days I'll take some photo's . I also bought the sender unit for the fuel gauge and that did require a little manual adjustment to get it reading correctly. Cheers Guy
skyhawk61

Post by skyhawk61 »

Hello Guy,
Thanks for your information on the reproduction fuel tank for my 59 Fury. If you are satisfied with the fit and quality of the Vans tank, then I am more comfortable with installing one. I researched my 59 Mopar parts book; there was a 23 gallon tank available for '59 in the Plymouth line listed under a separate part number. Thanks for the offer of pictures; they certainly will help. Dennis
Guy

Post by Guy »

Dennis Photo's as promised. They aren't great and excuse the background material. Tank was galvanised but we decided to paint it with underseal to protect against the UK weather. Also added a pad to the top of the tank to stop any vibration.
P1000783.JPG
P1000784.JPG
P1000788.JPG
P1000785.JPG
skyhawk61

Post by skyhawk61 »

Thanks for the extra effort in supplying these photos! The tank looks "natural" and the installation looks professional. I'm going to go ahead and order one, along with a new set of straps. I think I'll put a coat of zinc chromate on it as a primer, then spray it with a coat of "stainless steel" color. What did you use for your protective mat that goes between the tank and the trunk floor? Thanks again for the photos! Dennis
Guy

Post by Guy »

The pad is of the type used for sound deadening ( inside door skins etc ) They appear to be made of a bitumen type material and adhesive on one side. They are heated a little when fitting so they adopt the contours of whatever you are sticking them to. I seem to remember there was something similar when we removed the old tank ( not sure if that was originally fitted or a later addition). Hope this helps . Guy
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Plain old Tar Paper work good too.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
skyhawk61

Post by skyhawk61 »

How many thicknesses of tar paper did you use?
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

If you can, go to the Year One catalog and they sell the material to go between the gas tank for Chargers, Road Runners, Cuda's etc.https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/1966.74.a.b.e.body

But tar paper would work too!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
skyhawk61

Post by skyhawk61 »

Thanks, John Q., for the information. Dennis
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Two.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Here is a link to an Auction on E Bay for a 70-74 Cuda/Challenger gas tank material that will work on our cars fine. And only $14.95 Plus shipping. I just bought one for my 70 Cuda Convertible restoration I am doing right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1974-Cuda- ... c6&vxp=mtr

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Great suggestion from John, But I just went to a roofing company and asked for a piece of roofing tar paper 4 feet long and they gave it to me.

Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick Koch wrote:Great suggestion from John, But I just went to a roofing company and asked for a piece of roofing tar paper 4 feet long and they gave it to me.

Dick.
Dick, that is enough to do everyone's car! You have some nice construction guys in your area... :wink: Good thinking going to a construction site.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Hi fellas - long time, no post.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have 18 gal tanks? (but knowing MoPar, maybe some had 18 and some 20)

Also, wondering if there is possibility of moisture being trapped by installing material on top of tank. I once had a '80 Dodge van with a leaky tank. In addition to a few leaks on bottom, I discovered 18 pin hole leaks on top of tank. I patched that tank with 2 layers of fiberglass cloth and coats of POR-15. That patch work held up for years. Wondering if a couple rubber bumper blocks or similar would be better to prevent vibration than covering the top of tank.

Van's has a swap meet space every year at the Iola Car Show (in Iola, Wis). In case anybody would attend, you could have them bring a item to the show and save on shipping.