Cooling issues

Got a question? This is the place to ask
savvy59

Cooling issues

Post by savvy59 »

Hi my technical buddies,

Sorry, long time since I posted. I still think about everyone, just don't get on the site as much as I would like.

I would like to take care of my cooling issues finally so we can drive the car in the summer without fear of overheating.
My LA 318 sits somewhat lower than my replacement Volare radiator. There is no shroud and the fan blade has one 3/4" spacer but still sits 5" from the radiator and inches below the top of the radiator.
So what should I do for a lasting change:
Delete fan (or not) and place dual electric fans (or large single fan) on back of stock radiator (A/C condenser is on front of radiator).
Buy a new aluminum radiator and use electric fans - with/without motor fan
Build a shroud somehow and mount it lower on the radiator? I was thinking the early 60's Chevy's with the tunnel shroud that was about 10" deep.
The car did not get out much this summer as when it did it overheated every time.

Ideas, suggestions are all welcome.

Thanks,
Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Dick Koch

Re: Cooling issues

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Curt - Good to hear from you. How many blades on your fan. A five or seven blade fan would help. Summers are brutal on auto cooling systems in south Florida. I use a product called "Wetter Water" in my radiator and it helps tremendously. Greenie's temp. sender sits on top of the engine right in the pumps water flow and reads almost to the red mark all the time. It worried me until I discovered the lesened water flow at a red light allowed the sender to cool down and the gauge would go to half way mark. When your engine gets hot try one of those heat measuring devices to see what is really going on. Sometimes you can add extra cooling capacity to the radiator you already have, I.e. more cooling tubes. I did that on Charleen and it helped a lot. Also it recommended the fan sould be at least 1/2" t0 3/4" from the fan. Maybe a larger spacer is in order.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Dick makes good sense, as always.
The fan is too far from radiator to be effective, but I am not a grease monkey, and can't advise you on which might work better...twin electric fans, shroud or spacer. Seems to this carpenter that the electric fan idea would be simplest to do.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Curt, agree with Roger, the electric fans are the best for you with your Savoy, With the Volare/Aspen front EnginecCradle (K member) in your car just puts the fan blades too far from the radiator to be effective. IMHO

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Thanks for all the input. John you are correct the K member sets the engine 6" or more back from radiator and several (if not more ) inches below the radiator. Its much easier to diagnose in person and I can't get pictures easily.

I have also used water wetter before and forgot all about using it - thanks Dick. I think it is a 4 blade fan currently.

Next question Is; do I leave the engine fan on even though I will run an electric fan? I'm certain I have enough room for both.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Curt - Enjoying a 46 degree day in MD after another 3" of snow last night. My driveway is still a luge run after almost two feet of snow that fell last week.
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Curt - My 60 Desoto has a regular fan and an electric fan. The electric fan is on a thermostat and doesn't kick in until it starts to get too hot. I would at least get a longer fan spacer also, the closer to the radiator the better, it an easy fix.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Curt, most of the Auxiliary Electric Fans I see on cars are on the forward side of the radiator and push the wire thru the radiation, but I suppose there are types that can pull the air thru the radiator too. Being that the fan blade is so far away from the radiator that going to a 5,6 or 7 blade won't help. It would if it will be closer to the radiator.

Dick's suggestion of stacking more spacers might help if you can get some of them to try. The closer you get to the radiator the normal engine driven fan may start to function better. That would need some long spacer bolts to do, but not impossible to at least try.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Big Jimbo

Post by Big Jimbo »

Curt
I did a lot of research on the fan and radiator issues when I was building my car for AZ. What I learned is that for maximum cooling you need to suck air through the entire radiator. The only way to do that is to have a shroud that covers the entire radiator and a fan that sucks air through the shroud. That applies to both electric or an engine driven fan. Also, an electric fan pushing in front is not near as efficient because it blocks air from getting to the radiator. If you use your engine fan you need a shroud that extends to your fan so that about 1/2 of the blade width is in the shroud. If you use electric fans they also need to pull through a shroud. I am using an electric fan assembly from a Dodge Durango that has 2 fans built into a shroud that covers the radiator. It will keep the engine cool when it is sitting idling in 115 degree AZ traffic and can almost suck in small stray animals that walk by. If you have a clean stock radiator that should be good enough for the 318 if you get the air moving through it with an engine fan and a shroud. Another caution is that many electric fans don't have enough power to move enough air. They have wild claims about how many feet per minute they suck, but most of them are lies. What you need to look for in an electric fan is how many amps it draws. If you want big time suction they need to pull about 15 amps. Look at some of the factory electric fans and you will see how they are wired with relays and heavy gauge wires, etc. They pull big amps but really do the job. If you go electric, don't skimp on the really good wiring. Let me know if you have any question I can answer from the school of hard knocks.
Jim
59 Belvedere