59 Sport Fury Headliner

Got a question? This is the place to ask
duggar

59 Sport Fury Headliner

Post by duggar »

Has anyone purchased the 59 Sport Fury headliner kit from Mopar Mel. I have to redo my headliner and have thought about purchasing the repro headliner from him. If it is quality made and looks like a factory original I would buy it. Has anyone purchased this headliner and had it installed. If so what did it look like? Was it worth it? MM wants 880.00 for the headliner kit.
rogerh

Re: 59 Sport Fury Headliner

Post by rogerh »

Nobody on this list has purchased one from him, as far as I know. Maybe someone on the Forwardlook list has.
Having ANY dealings with MM is a calculated risk. He is a shapeshifter...all smiles on his website, but has a history of sellling substandard repro stuff. The list goes way back to when he was re-tagging re-built cars, without telling the buyer. He was caught "shilling" on eBay a few years back, and temporarily banned from there. (His response was he didnt know shilling was immoral/illegal.The whole story is probably available for reviewing in the Forwardlook Archives)
More to the question, I read a report from a dissatisfied customer who purchased MM's "silvered" headliner retaining strips. Reportedly the silvering did not stay adhered, and the buyer had to battle to get his money back.
Yes, this is all second- or third hand information. My own two separate dealings with him -buying "used" items, was unpleasant. One example was a carburetor. It arrived w/ broken casting..I asked to send it back for refund, and intitally he agreed, then he changed his mind and wanted to send me the parts needed to repair it. Having already lost my trust, I said no deal...I had to pay to ship the part back to him in order to get only my purchase price refunded, so I lost on the deal while he came out even. A real adversarial character.
My advice would be to post your headliner-specific inquiry on ForwardLook ( or Search the subect there).
If you DO decide to take your chances with MM, make your purchase with a major credit card so you have the big guns on your side. And report the outcome here, for the rest of us who may need replacement headliners :) .
Last edited by rogerh on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Duggar - As far as I know Roger is right, I purchased a pair of the "Chrome tape" headliner retaining strips from Mopar Mel before I knew of his reputation. Shipping to me was prompt but the "Chrome Tape" was coming off the strips as I took them out of the box. The Price was outrageous but I didn't know of any other source. I called him to get return authorization but he would not honer his product. I solved the problem by removing the Tape and adhesive and painting the strips white with Sims flexible vinyl paint. BEWARE.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

just a comment from me: Yes, Dick solved his immediate problem, fixing his own strips, but MM got away with yet another flim-flam.
I discourage everyone I can from patronizing this guy. He seems to always come out ahead while screwing the mass public.
He used to mention his kids and God in his ads and posts...what do you suppose his kids are learning from their father's business practices?
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Just went over to Forwardlook and ran a search for mopar mel's interior kits. Made the hair stand up on my neck.
Unless you are a gambling man, with plenty of muscle to back you up should things go sideways, you are better off making your own headliner.
Better yet, figure out how he is generating them (if in fact they exist at all), and go into business for your self.
duggar

Post by duggar »

I ordered the strips from him but have not received them yet. I purchased them on Ebay and used paypal. I hope that gives me some insurance. If they are subpar he will definitely hear from me. I will not buy the headliner from MM. I know an upholstery shop that will put in a nice headliner that looks factory-ish. I was going to use the strips from MM. We will wait and see what happens. Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I will keep the forum posted on the strips if I ever receive them. Where do these folks get the original headliner if not from MM?
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

as far as I know, MM is the only source.
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

When I purchased my Sport Fury back in '99, headliner was a little rough. I replaced the center piece myself by purchasing a piece of perforated white vinyl from a local auto upholsterer and a piece of hard board from Restoration Specialties when they were at the local Iola Car Show. Used a spray adhesive to attach vinyl to hardboard. I must have also glued hardboard to ceiling (can't remember :oops: ) Turned out good.

The sides were a little bit shabby so I sanded them lightly and then spray painted them white with a craft paint. I was able to reuse my strips. That was way back when and it's still holding up good.