how do i remove the steering wheel column

Got a question? This is the place to ask
martin59

how do i remove the steering wheel column

Post by martin59 »

Im trying to lift the body off the frame how do i take the steering colunm out do i unbolt the whole steering from the frame or can i slide the steering colunm out some how. Im trying to replace the gas lines and install a 904 transmission mount i figure it would be easier to mount with the body off or or is it something i could do with it on. Thanks for any advice
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: how do i remove the steering wheel column

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

I never did take my steering column out but I believe that 57-58 Plymouth Service manual shows how to do it.

I know that John F and Dick Koch (and Tom Fox) have done this removal before.

Matthew, you did this when you parted out that your old car didn't you? Chime in here a bit...

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The column can stay attached to the steering gear, if you want to take the body off the frame.
Unbolt the column from the dashboard (big "U" shaped brackets) and the column will drop to the floor. Remove the rubber skirting at the floorboard...
Last edited by rogerh on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin59

Post by martin59 »

I unbolted it from the dash and the steering wheel wiggles but does not come out. Should i unbolt the whole steering from the frame. Im stuck on this. Thanks for the help
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I can't advise on transmission swaps or mods...sorry. Curt can tell you how he put in Volare-sourced parts.
No, dropping the steering wheel from dash to the floor will not disconnect it from the steering gear. You can either pull the steering wheel off the shaft and wiggle the body off the frame, OR, if you must have have the shaft out of the car, (with power steering, you first pull the overwrapping tube off) get access to the rolled pin which holds it to the gear. There is an insulating sleeve where the shaft fits into the steering gear..also a piece of foil metal as I recall which is part of the horn circuitry..you don't want to mess with all that if it can be avoided. Vic Barone currently has his body off the frame...looking at the photos, he removed the shaft from the steering gear. Perhaps he can advise. Do you have a shop manual?
martin59

Post by martin59 »

Ill ask around on here. The manual i have doesn't say much. Thanks for the advice
big m

Post by big m »

First question-
Is your car manual or power steering equipped?

---John
In rust we trust!
martin59

Post by martin59 »

Power steering
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Martin, you're in luck. Big M John Fowlie will take you thru the necessary steps!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Well, maybe you have a service manual, not a shop manual..
Anyway, until John Fowlie comes back with better instructions, maybe you can get a little further with this:
Bolt the steering column back up to the dash. Get a wheel puller and pull the steering wheel off the shaft.
Now loosen the clamp at the base of the steering tube.(The tube contains the shaft).
Unplug and remove the wiring harness which runs into and thru the tube.
Now the tube should pull off the shaft. The tube will most likely be stuck to itself after all these years..requires lots of pulling, twisting, etc.
In the engine compartment, the shaft has a protruding flat piece which fits into a slot in the steering gear. It is held in place with a rolled pin, and the connection is wrapped in a metal? jacket (going by faulty memory here). Remove the jacket to access the pin.
As I recall, I selected a piece of metal (an old drill bit, with the smooth section toward the pin) with a diameter just slightly smaller than the rolled pin, and used that to drive the pin out. Don't peen over or damage the pin or you'll be in a world of hurt!
Once this pin is removed, the shaft disconnects from the steering gear.
Watch for small parts...that rubber insulator, and a copper strip which grounds the shaft and allows the horn to work.
Last edited by rogerh on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin59

Post by martin59 »

Thanks ill get started on that im trying to get it going i got a wedding in September after that it a complete restoration
martin59

Post by martin59 »

Is there any pictures or a site with some info on this
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Not that I'm aware of. I sold my service manuals to John Quinn...all i have left is some Parts Books, which are in storage. The Parts Books ARE also available for viewing on-line, but ever since this site morphed/expanded from 59sportfury to 59plymouth, I've been lost!
LATER: I did find the parts books pages, but the exploded drawings aren't going to help you. For a moment there, we had John Fowlie online, inquiring if your car was Power Steering, but then he was gone again. He runs a business... he must have been called away from assisting you. I know how difficult it can be to wait for help to come..
big m

Post by big m »

I had to pick several cars up, so I wasn't able to get back to the subject.

After removing the steering wheel, there is a small snap ring on the steering stub shaft that has to be removed. I have found a few Mopars in this vintage that did not have them, though. Remove the two bolts that hold the column mast jacket to the dash, disconnect the plug for the turn signal switch, and loosen the clamp at the base of the mast jacket. Now, if you pull directly up, tha mast jacket should slide off the steering stub shaft. There is a roll pin that holds the stub shaft into the top of the steering box, use a pin punch to drive this out, and the stub shaft will pull right out.

Hope this helps, John
In rust we trust!
martin59

Post by martin59 »

Thanks alot i haven't had time but maybe this weekend ill get started on it thanks everybody