Got a question? This is the place to ask
rogerh

Re: how do i remove the steering wheel column

Post by rogerh »

I forgot about the snapring :oops:
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Don't think this was mentioned but when you pull the wheel with the puller, leave the big nut on the shaft, otherwise the puller will collapse the end of the hollow shaft.

Before you pull shaft, spindle and whatever, be sure to mark those things as to how they were put in. I pulled mine 10 years ago and when putting back together, the steering wheel ended up being upside down. It still is like that, but only I know it, oops, :D up until now.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Since the shaft has a keyway at the steering wheel connecting point, allowing the steering wheel to fit only one way on the shaft, apparently when Fins59 re-connected the shaft to the steering gear, he accidentally rotated the shaft 180 degrees, much like some folks do with the distributor shaft.
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Aha...Roger, that must be what happened. This summer, I just might fix that. But it seems something always comes up. Last summer it was the vibration which turned out to be a loose rear end, and probably a few other things I can't remember. Too many irons in the fire. Winter's a good time to do that stuff but my storage garage has no heat and my heated house garage is filled with my youngest son's projects. (and that leaves the ol' man out in the cold)
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Old thread but only one i came across. On a manual steering car, once i have the tube off etc. How do i get the shaft out? I dont see a snap ring or roll pin on the manual style?
15500968099987714102846709266782.jpg
big m

Post by big m »

The shaft is also the worm gear, which is permanently welded to the end of the shaft. To remove the entire shaft, you must disassemble the steering gear.

Why do you need to remove the shaft?

---John
In rust we trust!
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

I guess i don't "need" to. But was doing disassembly etc before i leave in a couple weeks for when i come next to get the body off, get it blasted, so i can start doing repairs. So, i guess i can just removed the steering box and then disassemble or i can leave it on there and just remove the unti.