Engine color ?

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Mark Merritt

Engine color ?

Post by Mark Merritt »

Hello; What color should the fury sedan 1959 2 barrel "318" be? The previous owner had blue with silver valve covers,I think it is wrong,also was the tranny painted,if so what color? Have pics Thanks Mark
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
rogerh

Re: Engine color ?

Post by rogerh »

I think you will hear the consensus from the Group is
Block=silver
Valve covers= argent
Transmission and bellhousing=unpainted
Air cleaner=red
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Thanks again,I knew it did'nt look right. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Mopar engine BLUE on Plymouths didnt come into use until the 1960's, as I recall :)
wetever

Post by wetever »

Mine was blue and the air cleaner is black, I was told by my father that had a 59 plymouth said his 318 was blue,
So I painted blue with a black air cleaner.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

This topic was covered here a little while ago. Going by the factory brochures (even though some brochures showed red blocks), and numerous observations of original unmolested blocks, it was agreed here that the '59 Ply 318 blocks were silver and argent, w/red air cleaner.
I think the '59 Desotos had blue blocks and black aircleaners.
Canada-built cars may have been painted differently.
Last edited by rogerh on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

I think I will do the block silver,I even heard of some black,they seem to have been all over the place back then,not real consistant,maybe the mix of dodge,chrysler,desoto,etc.What color is "argent"? A shade of gold? Thanks for the replys. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Rod Stewart and Argent?
But seriously, argent is a dull silver. It is generally accepted on this List that the valve covers, wheel rims and front airscoop should all be painted argent. It is available in spray cans, at better stocked Mopar dealerships.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Besides the Air Scoop (Valance) the splash pan is also painted Silver Argent.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Hello All

In asking about an 1959 Plymouth A-318 I am reading about De Soto's which never used this engine -
Black which was an Imperial Division and Chrysler Division color used for their engines. The BB/ RB's
use Turq after they used Black and in the last of the 60's ... more like the 70's Chrysler Blue was used.

The use of Argent or in some vehicles an high temp Alum on The Valve Tappet Covers is more of an
easy color to use because it is photo friendly.

The Chrysler Silver was sprayed on the complete assembled "long block" and the Brackets and other
like items are all an shade of black.

Is that Washington I see standing up in the row boat instead of hanging on as they cross the river ???
Other words it is your engine and just make it appear as you think it should be.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Roger; Good advise thanks!!!!
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Just to be clear, the latter advice came from Rodger in Colorado, not me (Roger in Washington). Rodger is right in saying turquoise was the factory color for 318s in the 1960's.

I apologise if my mentioning of the Desoto brand got any of you believing that 318s were used in Desotos.
The same goes for the Imperial brand.
The person asked what color the engine SHOULD be. To me, that means he wanted to know what color the factory painted the 318s. Obviously folks are totally free to paint their engines any color their heart desires! But if re-sale is ever considered, it's my opinion that non-factory colors will lower the value. :roll:
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Hola Again

In the asking of paint on The Transmission part of your question ... I have only seen some
over-spray on The Bell Housing part of the transmission in The Poly Era.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Roger; I'm going to paint the bellhousing with the engine,the torque converter will be on as will the housing.That is the way it;s going back in,the tranny will be waiting for it.The rebuild is a long way off,I have a very good builder[does alot of race engines] but mine is a stock build,was told it could be 2 or 3 months off.But that is ok,it is not going anywhere anyway,it will give me time to do the front end and various other issues.It keeps me busy over the long,long,long winter.I'm sending the tranny out next week but will get that back much sooner.Interior/paint etc might be a few years down the road,make it a driver first. THANKS MARK
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Rodger

Re: Engine color ? ... To Rebuild

Post by Rodger »

Mark

Only take this as an $$$ hint.

The A-318 engine is just an engine. This means it is nothing special to do for several Milk Crate's
of A-318 items are the same part number used in LA-318's to LA-360's. The Local High School
Auto Shop can do the same Engine Repair and Assembly as Ed's Speed Shop at an much lower cost.

If The High School Auto Shop makes you worry then any local to you Machine Shop. They all
should have some type of "if it breaks in 90 days or don't work policy".

Rodger & Gabby
COS