squealing noise

Got a question? This is the place to ask
wetever

squealing noise

Post by wetever »

Hi everybody, I am new here, My father has a 59 plymouth fury that we have been restoring for some time now.
It has been sitting for about 12 yrs, The problem is when you step on the gas we hear this loud squealing noise,
let off and it just cruises fine. It doesn't sound like the rear.I checked u-joints and they seem to be fine.
Could it be coming from the tranny?
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: squealing noise

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Sounds more like a power steering pump or a belt loose to that pump or Generator... Can you or someone stick there head out the window when driving it and try to locate the sound to a specific location?

Make sure all fluids are up to their operating levels and check the rear end differential to make sure it has sufficient gear oil in it.

PS post some pictures in the "show your ride" section or "introduce yourself" section and say what city and state you reside in. You may have a forum member living near by that could help answer and questions you might have on the car.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
wetever

Post by wetever »

It doesn't sound like it's coming from the front. I had my dad drive it up the road and it sounds
like under the mid to rear of car.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Yikes! then it is a drive train related item. check the fluid in the tranny and rear end differential. Does it sound like metal on metal grinding or like you said a squeal? Middle of the car would be tranny or drive shaft interference. Sound at the rear is the axle needs some attention. Tranny and motor mounts ok?

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Welcome! If you only hear this when accelerating the tranny would be my first guess....

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
wetever

Post by wetever »

Thanks everybody, I will start checking everything from the tranny back.
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

I'm assuming it's a torque flite automatic. I've had both tranny and rear end problems. No squealing noises from either though.
On tranny, it started to not shift properly. I removed pan and discovered a lot of metal filings on metal screen filter which is inside pan. I ended up getting a parts car and installing that tranny. That was 10 years ago and tranny is so far perfect (I just jinxed myself)

On rear end problem, I had a terrible vibration in steering wheel and seat from 10 mph to about 35 mph. It only vibrated when I was accelerating. Let off on gas and vibration would stop. We checked drive shaft/u joint, emergency brake drum (maybe your problem is in the e-brake assembly, but I don't know if noise would stop when not on gas)
Anyway, disconnected drive shaft and discovered a little bit too much play in rear end yoke. Parts car came in handy again, used the rear end from that car and now everythings ship-shape again.
wetever

Post by wetever »

Ok so after my dad had two open heart surgeys I'm back working on his car again. So I checked the tranny and replaced u joint. Under hard acceleration I hear a squealing in right rear. Rear has fluid. After driving for a while the noise isn't as bad.
wetever

Post by wetever »

Well I pulled the transmission and found the clutch packs gone. I completely stripped it down and rebuilt the whole tranny. Works great now.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Sweet! Another problem fixed :mrgreen:
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”