New Floor Pans

Got a question? This is the place to ask
samc

New Floor Pans

Post by samc »

Hi,

Does anyone make quality reproduction floor pans? I'm looking at a 59 convertible that probably needs them.

Thanks,

Sam Cohen
Oakland CA
hellfirechrome

Re: New Floor Pans

Post by hellfirechrome »

Sam, I'd bet you'd be better off looking for a dry or decent set of pans off an original car. I have used LOTS of repro steel in the past, and 9/10 times it's garbage, too thin or wrong creases, etc. If someone knows better, they'll chime in I am sure! BTW, I'm over in Berkeley with my '59 4-door belly. You know, I would bet John up at Big M could source a set for ya! If so, maybe we should carpool up there and you can get your pans, I gotta steal* some bumpers from him :) haha....

*(knowing full well he'll read this, of course!)
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

There is at least one outfit making repro pans:
www.rcarfabrications.com
The owner's name is Don. If you go to the website, you'll see a complete, one-piece floor is $3400-!
Hopefully you would only need sections, not everything including the driveshaft tunnel and all, but it's good to know the cost if you need everything.
Yes, definitely get to know John Fowlie at Big M Auto, in upstate California. He certainly can advise, and he may have what you need, in "used" form. :)
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Check ebay: classicparts4u. I have used thier parts in my restoration and am quite happy. Search 59 Plymouth floor panels.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Great lead, Dick!
To clarify: Go to eBayMotors and type 1959 Plymouth Floor Pans in the Search bar.
(The seller's ID is classicparts4u.) These are AFFORDABLE parts!
The car Sam is thinking of buying has rust in the floors near the sills, so it may be that the inner sills would have to be replaced, in addition to the pans. To be sure, a guy would need to lift up the carpet and probe the inner sills with an awl or similar tool.
It has been reported that the car's floor has been covered with fiberglass.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Regarding Inner sills, I ordered inner sills from Classicparts4u and they were no where near correct. Those are better measured and have a sheet metal shop shear what you need.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Keep the reports coming, Dick! Your experience with these things is very valuable to others.