Transmission interchange question

Got a question? This is the place to ask
hellfirechrome

Transmission interchange question

Post by hellfirechrome »

I've got a 318 and 2speed auto in my '59. Is the mate-up and bellhousing the same on an A block as on an LA block? My question boils down to this- how easy is it to mate-up a torqueflite 727 to the back of my engine? I understand there would need to be changes made as far as driveshaft, trans mount and e-brake addition on the rear axle (line-lock would be easiest). Just wanna know if I can actually bolt up a newer transmission?
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Transmission interchange question

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Gut feelings say no on the A to LA mate up using a 727. But I am sure others have walked down this road before on this type of upgrade. There may be an adapater needed and some other nuances. I know there was for the fist Generation Hemi to a 727.

I will send a PM to Ricky Mopar, who is a Mechanic by trade and he may know,if no one else chimes in on this subject.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
big m

Post by big m »

Pre '62 A poly engines all have an extended crankshaft flange, that will not mate up to a post '61 transmission, even though the bellhousing pattern is the same. If you wanted to use a newer 727 transmission, you would have to use the crankshaft from a later LA 318. I have a '58 Plymouth that has had an LA 318 installed but retaining the poly crankshaft, in order to mate to the cast iron torqueflite that was factory original. This set up works fine.

---John
In rust we trust!
hellfirechrome

Post by hellfirechrome »

Ok very cool! Necessary info- my engine and trans are both fine at the moment, but ideally I want three speeds and longer freeway legs. At that point I may just put in a mopar LA and a 727 and sell my setup to someone whose goal is originality. This beast is too gone to be put back to stock, but I am gonna keep her on the road! John, I will call you soon re: parts. Cheers!
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

With the use of an adapter kit for A engine conversions. you could install either the 727A or the 518 overdrive to your 59 engine, the adapter plate for the block and a flywheel/flex-plate crank adapter. and a 426 Hemi flex-plate. cost about $400. and the 518 is an additional $100. The 62,63,64, 65 727a still use the push button cable control. and same style flange on drive end. using the 62 tail housing you retain the emergency/parking brake.The 518 conversion wont be with push button control or have the brake..
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

PICTURES OF SOME VERY GOOD ADAPTERS
300 etc 011.jpg
300 etc 012.jpg
hellfirechrome

Post by hellfirechrome »

You guys are great!!! So my goal here would be, ideally, to maintain kickdown from the carb (with a 727 assembly from a 62?), and to use a lokar top-mounted shifter on a 518 specifically. Overdrive would be quite a feat for my long-haul trips to Oceanside (8-9 hour drive). I believe after this my problem to overcome would be a rear axle/differential swap to something that includes an e-brake. I don't suppose there's a drum swap that would give me e-brakes on the back end? From what I understand there's no e-brakes on the rear disc upgrades either... (after I install fronts of course!)
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Yes there are many aftermarket systems (mostly crap only in my opinion). . and you could find a rear axle disc brake system from a 1974 CHRYSLER OR PLYMOUTH SUBURBAN WAGON, or newer Dodge trucks inc. Durango and Dakota. the newer trucks would require you to re-drill stud locations. if you want to retain the original wheel bolt pattern. These all have great parking brake attachments. Remember disc brake systems require 30% more primary brake pressure.